Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Aqueous
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Can't get BluRay rips to play on my ATV1

DVD's I have all figured out, they work great! But, I cannot get a BluRay rip to play on my ATV1 via XBMC like my DVD rips. The show a still frame for 15 seconds then jump to another still frame and on and on, audio sounds fine. I am using the same exact settings in Handbrake for both encodes.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Settings:
MP4
Large file size
H.264 (x264)
FPS "Same as Source"
Variable Framerate
Ave Bitrate: 1800
2 Pass Encoding
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Darby67
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: the corner of Fire and Brimstone
Have you tried using the AppleTV preset? What picture settings are you using? In particular size
__________________
15" 2.3 GHz QC i7 MBP
2.6 GHz QC i7 Mini
2.0 GHz QC i7 Mini
Darby67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Aqueous
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby67 View Post
Have you tried using the AppleTV preset? What picture settings are you using? In particular size
720x480
Anomorphic "loose"
Modulus 16

I actually don't think I've ever tweaked those settings. I did try all of the Apple TV Settings but haven't been able to get a BluRay to play successfully. Should it really be as simple as clicking on the AppleTV Preset? Guess I should try it again...
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Must be an XMBC issue, my rips from Blu-Ray using the ATV pre-set in HB stream fine straight to both ATV's.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:21 AM   #5
Aqueous
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I haven't tried adding it to iTunes library and viewing it directly though ATV1 menu, I will try that. I will also try the ATV1 Preset! The rips played just fine on my iMac, just not on ATV1 via XBMC... this is some confusing stuff.

Then I was wondering if upgrading the video card to Crystal Buntu would solve the problem, maybe the resolution of my rips was too high for 720p playback?

I was really hoping to maintain "most" of the quality of the BluRay movies.
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
The rips played just fine on my iMac, just not on ATV1 via XBMC... this is some confusing stuff.

Then I was wondering if upgrading the video card to Crystal Buntu would solve the problem, maybe the resolution of my rips was too high for 720p playback?
Soo, you are running crystalbuntu on an atv1 with no chd card ? If so w/out the chd card the atv 1 actually has weaker playback than stock as xbmc has no access to the native geoforce video card. If you have the card, put it back in or go back to the stock atv os if you want to have smooth playback of 720p
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Aqueous
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I haven't upgraded the card yet, not using crystal buntu yet. Was just considering it, and wondering if it would fix my playback issue with bluray rips.

Playing around with the AppleTV preset now to see if it works/looks good, should know soon...
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
I haven't upgraded the card yet, not using crystal buntu yet. Was just considering it, and wondering if it would fix my playback issue with bluray rips.

Playing around with the AppleTV preset now to see if it works/looks good, should know soon...
er, of course the appletv preset will work ... its why it was written and is in fact probably one of the most tested HB presets..

Btw, if you add the chd and install linux xbmc ... the atv 1 will eat raw decrypted blu ray. SO yeah, its a well spent bit of money.

Now that said ... the HB atv preset ( not appletv 2 or appletv 3) will let you play transcoded blu ray sources stock.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Aqueous
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
er, of course the appletv preset will work ... its why it was written and is in fact probably one of the most tested HB presets..

Btw, if you add the chd and install linux xbmc ... the atv 1 will eat raw decrypted blu ray. SO yeah, its a well spent bit of money.

Now that said ... the HB atv preset ( not appletv 2 or appletv 3) will let you play transcoded blu ray sources stock.
Thanks for this info! I just tested it and it works gray for bluray (finally). Is that preset also the best result for DVD's? Feel kinda dumb for not trusting that preset - think I did too much reading with not enough experience and took some others advice thinking I could get better results...
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
Thanks for this info! I just tested it and it works gray for bluray (finally). Is that preset also the best result for DVD's? Feel kinda dumb for not trusting that preset - think I did too much reading with not enough experience and took some others advice thinking I could get better results...
Heh, yeah it works for everything. Thats why it is the AppleTv 1 preset

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
I did try all of the Apple TV Settings but haven't been able to get a BluRay to play successfully. Should it really be as simple as clicking on the AppleTV Preset?
Er, you said above you had tried all of the Apple TV Settings ??
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Zealand
If you're using the ATV1 preset and your frame rate is 24fps, you can switch off the loose anamorphic settings and go for none and just set your resolution to 1280 wide and 'keep aspect ratio' to preserve the shape. A typical 2.35:1 ratio movie will then be 1280x544 for example and will look better than the standard ATV1 preset which accounts for the original ATV being unable to display 30fps 720p. The best it can do is 25fps 720p, but the majority of BDs will be 24fps and so will encode fine for 720p playback. I rip a lot of BDs and DVDs so my son can play them on the old ATV1 we have on our spare TV which only has my old LD/DVD combo player attached as the BD player is on the main TV/Projection system.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" i5 4GB 256SSD, Mac mini C2D + 20" ACD 8GB 960GB SSD, iPad 16GB WiFi, iPad mini 64G WiFi+cellular, ATV 40GB, ATV2, ATV3, iPhone 4 16GB
GreatDrok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDrok View Post
If you're using the ATV1 preset and your frame rate is 24fps, you can switch off the loose anamorphic settings and go for none and just set your resolution to 1280 wide and 'keep aspect ratio' to preserve the shape. A typical 2.35:1 ratio movie will then be 1280x544 for example and will look better than the standard ATV1 preset which accounts for the original ATV being unable to display 30fps 720p. The best it can do is 25fps 720p, but the majority of BDs will be 24fps and so will encode fine for 720p playback. I rip a lot of BDs and DVDs so my son can play them on the old ATV1 we have on our spare TV which only has my old LD/DVD combo player attached as the BD player is on the main TV/Projection system.
This is in fact correct. good point.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC