Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAW01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Hello,

So i picked up a cheap 1st gen ipod for my first device, and notice that the lower half on the back and front near the home button is hot to the touch. it has a new battery that was was installed by shop. the water indicator is pink, but person i got it from swears its never been wet. Could the logic board be toaste? And if so, how would it be tested?

tnx again. :)

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
I'm pretty sure the person you got it from got it wet at one point. I would bring the iPod to RadioShack ( assuming you live by one) or some other place where you know there are iPod experts and ask them to check. Or another option ( it will cost) is to send it back to the company so they can fix it.

Last edited:

JAW01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
tnx for the reply. I should have mentioned it was stuck at the Apple logo, with a spinning loading circle, then just stopped working. I got curious what was going on, so i took it apart. the wires for the battery just fell off. Please see pics i have attached.

* does any1 know if it will be possible to fix the battery solder points ?

The area that was hot to the touch, is the little black chip thats shown next to the headphone jack. :(

-See Attached Pics-

Attachments

• DSC01137.JPG
    DSC01137.JPG
    857.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC01136.JPG
    DSC01136.JPG
    826.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC01139.JPG
    DSC01139.JPG
    817.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC01143.JPG
    DSC01143.JPG
    848 KB · Views: 130

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
That pcb is badly corroded. I don't think that its possible to repair that damage. Unless there are other points were you can solder the battery leads and the pcb itself isn't totaled.

Either way that iPod must had some serious issues to get to that point.

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
tnx for the reply. I should have mentioned it was stuck at the Apple logo, with a spinning loading circle, then just stopped working. I got curious what was going on, so i took it apart. the wires for the battery just fell off. Please see pics i have attached.

* does any1 know if it will be possible to fix the
battery solder points ?

The area that was hot to the touch, is the little black chip thats shown next to the headphone jack. :(

-See Attached Pics-

Obviously the person who sold you the device sold it because he knew it was bad! So my advice is return it and get your money back because you just got ripped off. I feel sorry for you, what kind of person is he. Any ways next time you go to buy something ASK the person and make h/s tell the truth. SORRY that's all I have got to say right now.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Obviously the person who sold you the device sold it because he knew it was bad! So my advice is return it and get your money back because you just got ripped off. I feel sorry for you, what kind of person is he. Any ways next time you go to buy something ASK the person and make h/s tell the truth. SORRY that's all I have got to say right now.

The person who sold it to him isn't an Apple Store. You can't just 'return' a device.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Don't sweat, the 1st gens aren't much...just buy another. Though I would make a small scene with the person who sold it to you...sorry this happened.

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
The person who sold it to him isn't an Apple Store. You can't just 'return' a device.

Let me make myself clear I meant that he should return the device back to the person he got it from and get his money back. I NEVER said that he had to return it to the apple store. Because all he really needs to do is get his money back and buy another.

JAW01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
OP why didn't you turn it on before you bought it?

I bought it on Amazon, so i couldnt turn it on. I tried to return device, but seller refuses returns or even to replace with working unit. I replaced it with a newer device. I picked up what was advertised as a 3rd gen 8gb, but turns out to be a 2nd gen 8gb #a1288, and apparently needs a battery also. Any1 know if i can use the new battery from a 1st gen, on the 2nd gen? Im good with a solder iron, :)

burned twice now, :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.