Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #76
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Outside of Midway's NBA Jam series, I can only think of 6 video games that had black characters in it:

X-Men: Children of the Atom
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3.
Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting Edition

Nothing you could be racist about since the lack of such characters is a) not your fault, and b) out of your control.

BL.
ShaqFu

And how about the Cosby Show as a "black" show that transcends race?

I suppose that some "black" movies go further into that specific culture than interests me. On the other hand, a good movie is a good movie regardless of what genre it's defined as. Plus, genre definitions are often vague and overlapping anyway.
jdechko is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 02:09 PM   #77
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
ShaqFu

And how about the Cosby Show as a "black" show that transcends race?

I suppose that some "black" movies go further into that specific culture than interests me. On the other hand, a good movie is a good movie regardless of what genre it's defined as. Plus, genre definitions are often vague and overlapping anyway.
SHAQFU! IT BURNS IT BURNS!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	it burns.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	428023

Agreed though about the good movies bit. There are plenty of films I've seen that are totally about another culture/race/creed that I've found fascinating. The Ip Man series is one.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:29 AM   #78
Raid
macrumors 68020

A Good film can still be about race and challenging prejudices and still be awesome.

Case and point: Blazing Saddles a great film about a black sherrif, power hungry white men done by a jewish director. This white guy loved it. Wayans brothers please take note.

/thread
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #79
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I'm tired of Cosby Show reruns.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:26 AM   #80
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

I do think that most of you have never seen a real Black movie.

To get some idea of what you have been missing try these,

From a Whisper - dir. Wanuri Kahiu, Kenya, 2009
This movie is very real and deals with the subject of terrorism -- based on the events surrounding the bomb attacks on the U.S. embassy in Nairobi in 1998. I liked Ken Ambani's realistic acting and I loved the music. Wanuri Kahiu is a good director who will go on to make greater films. The cinematography on this film was exceptional and although for me it had plot issues, I think in the end it all came together.

Viva Riva! -- dir. Djo Munga, DR Congo, 2010
This is simply a sophisticated gangster movie. It has raw energy and puts a human face to all that is happening in the Congo. Sometimes just too real, it is gritty, fun and a must-watch thriller.

Sinking Sands - dir. Leila Djansi, Ghana, 2011
This film deals with domestic violence, but based on the personal journey of a man disfigured in an accident, which makes him turn against his wife.
Ama K. Abebrese, who plays the wife, made this film for me and she won Best Actress at the African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) for it, but I felt that director Leila Djansi made the film engage with the audience in an emotional way, showing not just the rawness of domestic violence, but taking us through a range of pain and forgiveness. The film also depicts how women can immerse themselves in guilt and force themselves to feel like the guilty party.
Actors Jimmy Jean-Louis and Abebrese made this film a must watch and Djansi chose the right cast to make her directing look beautiful. The camera work on this film was excellent -- a bit dark and grainy, but one thing is for sure: you cannot watch "Sinking Sands" and not be affected.
White Waters - dir. Izu Ojukwu, Nigeria, 2007

"White Waters" was a very good movie. It tells the story of a disadvantaged boy who is discovered as gifted runner. I loved the feel, the music and the fact that it was about achieving something from nothing.
I loved the cinematography. Izu Ojukwu, the director and my colleague, is going to shout as I say this, but I believe he is one of the best cinematographers Nigeria has and actor O.C. Ukeje was sensational and made this movie for me.

Mwansa the Great - dir. Rungano Nyoni, Zambia 2011
This is one of those films that makes Africa great. By showcasing the talents of the children who make up its cast, it shows off Africa's apparent talent. It's not just the cast that I enjoyed -- it has lovely directing too.

Moolaade - dir. Ousmane Sembene, Senegal, 2004
Is Nollywood embracing quality? From solicitor to Nollywood director
"Moolaade" dealt with a subject that most men would rather not deal with -- female genital mutilation. But director Ousmane Semebene was not afraid to tackle the subject and the manner of the film was artistic, yet detailed, and did not derail the issues that most people in Africa are afraid to confront.
Coming from Sembene it was important, visual and professionally made -- and it pulls at the viewers' heart strings.

Otelo Burning - dir. Sara Blecher, South Africa, 2011
This is one movie I love, just because of the story line of young black South Africans in the 1980s excelling in surfing -- a sport that was reserved for the whites. The sound and picture quality was also excellent, as was the acting. "Otelo Burning" is one of the best African films I have ever seen and I feel it should have had a lot more accolades than it did.

Benda Bilili - dir. Renaud Barret, Florent de La Tullaye, DR Congo/France, 2010
This is a great musical documentary telling the story of Staff Benda Bilili -- a group of disabled Congolese musicians. The band members start out making a living on the streets of Kinshasa, before becoming world-famous musicians.
Irapada -- dir. Kunle Afolayan, Nigeria, 2007
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:57 AM   #81
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Outside of Midway's NBA Jam series, I can only think of 6 video games that had black characters in it:

X-Men: Children of the Atom
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3.
Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting Edition

Nothing you could be racist about since the lack of such characters is a) not your fault, and b) out of your control.

BL.
But but but, GTA: San Andreas!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:16 AM   #82
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:55 AM   #83
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Worm View Post
There are obvious prejudices in Hollywood. Leads are white males almost nine times out of ten.
Not sure about this. I think they care about the money, and pick the actor accordingly, but there are many lead actors that are not white:

Morgan Freeman
Denzel Washington
Danny Glover
Will Smith
Forest Whitaker
Samuel L. Jackson
Don Cheadle
Laurence Fishburn
Eddie Murphy
Sidney Poitier (but haven't seen him in a while, but great actor)
James Earl Jones (Greatness)
Martin Lawrence
Jamie Foxx
Chris Rock (put him is as I love the Grown Ups movies)
Bill Cosby (Don't see him much these days, but a very popular actor in his prime)
Louis Gossett, Jr.

There are many more than we think that are great lead actors.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #84
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Worm View Post
There are obvious prejudices in Hollywood. Leads are white males almost nine times out of ten.
Yeah but blacks make up only 13 percent of the population so having only 10 percent of the leads be black actually makes sense.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:05 PM   #85
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid View Post
Case and point: Blazing Saddles a great film about a black sherrif, power hungry white men done by a jewish director. This white guy loved it. Wayans brothers please take note.

/thread
Not to really defend them, but in the Wayans Brothers' defense, they did give us Jim Carrey and Jennifer Lopez via In Living Colour. They may have even brought us John Leguizamo. I can't remember, but I do remember Shawn and Marlon on a late nite show saying "Jennifer Lopez? We discovered that *** first!"

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #86
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Yeah but blacks make up only 13 percent of the population so having only 10 percent of the leads be black actually makes sense.
Latinos, Asians and native Americans don't count?
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #87
dingster1
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dingster1
^^ That was In Livin'Color. Glory was in NO WAY a blaxploitation movie! Good grief! That was a movie based on the ACTUAL 51st Mass. Colored Regiment! Blacula is blaxploitation, Shaft (original) is blaxploitation. Cabin in the Sky and Stormy Weather (love both) were well done films done as an answer to no other roles being available for blacks at that time. I like Tyler Perry because his stories can be related to across all lines (cheating spouses, poor people trying to make it, etc), and he really tries to keep his stuff as clean as possible. He gets flack for his Madea character but no one will take Snakes on a Plane or other cheap no point movies to task.
dingster1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #88
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
What's the difference between a "black movie" and a "movie"?
Just what I was thinking!
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #89
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Latinos, Asians and native Americans don't count?
Not for the post I was responding to. It said why are only blacks 10 percent of leads. They are 13 percent of the population was my response. What does that have to do with other races? Nothing actually.
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #90
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been brought up before. Do Bad Boys/ Bad Boys 2 count as black movies? Cos I love the hell out of those. Fresh Prince, Boyz n the Hood, Friday series... I can think of countless 'black movies' and shows that appeal to white audiences.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #91
dingster1
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dingster1
Why white people don't like black movies? Dunno. When I went to see The Help, during controversial scenes, you could feel the cringing from white people ... uncomfortable ? Some "black" movies are just stupid beyond belief! And I'm black! Maybe I'm just old <+40's)
dingster1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:52 PM   #92
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Fact is, certain things blacks do are still not socially acceptable or judged too harshly compared to what whites do.

For example: Look at Jim Carey. Everyone loves his crazy antics. Now if Jim Carey were black, he would be considered to be cooning. Many whites and blacks would feel this way. Yes blacks judge each other too and many times more harshly, too worried about what others might think.

Look at the backlash Tyler Perry gets from playing Madea. But Robin Williams never got any backlash for doing the same.

Also IMO, black sexuality is pretty much taboo unless it's a music video or a black film. You really won't see any black actress on a major network taking the place of Eva Longoria. Maybe Halle Berry would be the exception, but overall it's something obvious that I noticed.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:55 PM   #93
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Look at Jim Carey. Everyone loves his crazy antics.
Not everyone. Guy has been on my nerves since In Living Color.

Quote:
...Robin Williams never got any backlash for doing the same.
I feel pretty much the same way about him, except insert "Mork and Mindy" for "In Living Color." Never thought he was funny; always thought he was annoying.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #94
b166er
macrumors 68020

I don't like that "black" movies are even a thing. Why are we labeling movies like that at all? Why are we marketing movies to a certain race?

Was Roots a black movie? How about that new one, The Butler?

I don't get why these awful, slapstickish, self stereotyping, sorry excuses for comedies are called "black" movies. If something is funny, it's funny. I don't care if it's a black actor, a white actor, whatever. I love satire, but these movies we're talking about are just bad.

I hate that because your skin is a certain color, you're expected to have a certain sense of humor.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 01:07 AM   #95
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Thought I'd mention "42" since I hadn't seen it listed in here. Amazingly good movie, and I'm not even that big of a sport fan.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #96
tgi
macrumors 6502a

I just want to say Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors, love his movie.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #97
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post

Look at the backlash Tyler Perry gets from playing Madea. But Robin Williams never got any backlash for doing the same.

I think pretty much any comedy actor who has played an obnoxious woman in a fat suit in the past has gotten flack regardless of their skin colour.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #98
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
I think pretty much any comedy actor who has played an obnoxious woman in a fat suit in the past has gotten flack regardless of their skin colour.

Dustin Hoffman did get nominated for an Oscar for Tootsie.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:00 PM   #99
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Dustin Hoffman did get nominated for an Oscar for Tootsie.
I said fat suit good sir!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues