Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I pick this thread in front again. I have short question, I am wondering if it's possible to buy a contract free and unlocked Verizon iPhone in the Apple store or a Best Buy store right now? It is just to ask for a device only?

Hope for an answer :)
Hen9ng

Why do you want a Verizon iphone 5?
Why don't you get an unlocked GSM i5 at Apple?

Hen9ng

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Norway
Because I live in Norway and we use LTE bands 1,3 and 5 so if I want LTE I need the Verizon version. I am going on holiday and I am going to pick up a phone. So I am just wondering if it is possible, if not, I just buy the ordinary unlocked iPhone.

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
I pick this thread in front again. I have short question, I am wondering if it's possible to buy a contract free and unlocked Verizon iPhone in the Apple store or a Best Buy store right now? It is just to ask for a device only?

Hope for an answer :)
Hen9ng

The straightforward answer is "yes." But it's a bit complicated.

The phones that Apple markets as "unlocked" are all ATT/TMobile phones.

Since Verizon's pre-LTE network is CDMA and not GSM, Apple does not sell an "unlocked" Verizon phone. That said, the iPhone 5 for Verizon has a SIM slot and for LTE frequencies that slot is completely unlocked. And Verizon has even said they will NOT ever lock it. So if you can get your hands on a Verizon phone, ANY verizon phone, it will be unlocked.

The question, then, is how to buy the phone itself. A Few options:

1. Buy it from Verizon and sign up for a 24 moth contract. Pay $199 for the phone and about $100 for the first month's service, and after 14 days cancel the whole contract and pay an ETF of about $340. This is complex and may not work for you, but the overall price is slightly less than full retail of $649.

2. Go to an Apple store and buy a "device only" Verizon phone for full price. I do NOT know if this will work or not; it used to work just, but Apple may insist you give them your verizon account info. I have not tried it, so I can't say (I did no. 1, above). If someone could confirm doing this, it would help you a lot. Sorry I can't.

2b. You could also try to buy from a verizon store, but I think you'd be even less likely to just pay for the phone and go home with it.

themiltos1994

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Hi!I've read most of the thread but I havent quiet reached a conclusion about my problem.I live in Greece and i have an iphone 5 bought in the USA which came with a pre-intalled nano-sim card of verizon.I changed verizon's nano-sim with a greek carrier's nano-sim.Everything works just fine except for the 4g.After reading many forums,I understood I have the cdma a1429 iphone which supports bands 1,3,5,13,25.In greece(and in europe in general) we have the gsm a1429 iphone which supports bands 1,3,5.My question is,is there any way of me getting 4g coverage from my carrier?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hi!I've read most of the thread but I havent quiet reached a conclusion about my problem.I live in Greece and i have an iphone 5 bought in the USA which came with a pre-intalled nano-sim card of verizon.I changed verizon's nano-sim with a greek carrier's nano-sim.Everything works just fine except for the 4g.After reading many forums,I understood I have the cdma a1429 iphone which supports bands 1,3,5,13,25.In greece(and in europe in general) we have the gsm a1429 iphone which supports bands 1,3,5.My question is,is there any way of me getting 4g coverage from my carrier?

If you mean 4G as in LTE, perhaps you need to provision your phone onto your account first.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

What carrier in Greece are you using?
And does that carrier have LTE available yet? And if they do have LTE is it available in the city where you live?
And you might also need to call your carrier to see if they need to enable LTE access on your account on their end. Katalaves?

Because I live in Norway and we use LTE bands 1,3 and 5 so if I want LTE I need the Verizon version. I am going on holiday and I am going to pick up a phone. So I am just wondering if it is possible, if not, I just buy the ordinary unlocked iPhone.

You can go to Apple and tell them you want to buy the Verizon model full price cause that's the model compatible with your countries LTE bands.
They should sell you one for full price.

themiltos1994

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
What carrier in Greece are you using?
And does that carrier have LTE available yet? And if they do have LTE is it available in the city where you live?
And you might also need to call your carrier to see if they need to enable LTE access on your account on their end. Katalaves?

I've done all of these.Each and every thing you said is ok.Is it sure that i have the right model which is compatible with greece's bands?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I've done all of these.Each and every thing you said is ok.Is it sure that i have the right model which is compatible with greece's bands?

Greece has Cosmote and Vodafone that officially support LTE for the iphone 5. If you're not using one of those 2 companies you will not get LTE.
And that's transmitted in the following bands:

1 (2100 MHz)

3 (1800 MHz)

5 (850 MHz)
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
The CDMA A1429 iphone 5 does support these bands.

themiltos1994

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Greece has Cosmote and Vodafone that officially support LTE for the iphone 5. If you're not using one of those 2 companies you will not get LTE.
And that's transmitted in the following bands:

1 (2100 MHz)

3 (1800 MHz)

5 (850 MHz)
The CDMA A1429 iphone 5 does support these bands.

I have tried with both of them but I cant get lte!I am telling you I am 100% sure everything is right..cdma does include gsm's bands but i've come across some comments on the web that say that it might not work if you have cdma in a european country no matter what

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I have tried with both of them but I cant get lte!I am telling you I am 100% sure everything is right..cdma does include gsm's bands but i've come across some comments on the web that say that it might not work if you have cdma in a european country no matter what

That sucks man:(
But if you use an iphone 5 bought from cosmote or Vodafone Greece then you get LTE at the same location?

westerlu77

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Sweden
Hi!
I'm thinking of to buy a unlocked iPhone 5S in US via a friend who visiting US until the beginning of October.
When iPhone 5 was released it couldn't use the LTE band in Sweden where I live (1800 mhz) if you bought the US version, that's right?
Do we know how it is this time? I guess that we have to wait until tomorrow after the keynote and see.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
Pre-order will be at 13 of September, how do you think is it possible order Iphone 5S for full price ONLINE 13 of September ? If so - not more then 2 pcs ?

Zebulon76

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Hi!
I'm thinking of to buy a unlocked iPhone 5S in US via a friend who visiting US until the beginning of October.
When iPhone 5 was released it couldn't use the LTE band in Sweden where I live (1800 mhz) if you bought the US version, that's right?
Do we know how it is this time? I guess that we have to wait until tomorrow after the keynote and see.

US version of GSM is 1533 and seems to support all frequency, when Sweden get the A1429 version with only band 1,3,5

Why did they create a A1429 model if A1533 cover all three????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.