Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jan 19, 2014, 07:14 PM   #26
echoout
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
If anyone's interested, The ePower PSU is for sale on newegg.com for $24.99 and $3.99 shipping!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=4549763&SID=

This is a great deal and I highly recommend it. I've put it through some extreme rigorous testing and running probably maxed out for days on end and still works great.
Do the cables seem any friendlier on this one?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:18 PM   #27
GraniteTheWolf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoout View Post
Do the cables seem any friendlier on this one?
I just bought this one and the cables are completely useless. They are shielded overkill and the end connectors have huge rubber shrouds on them. While in the PSU they dont allow the optical tray to drop into place because they stick out too far. Also in my 2008 mac pro (cables route through the same corner in front by the optical cover flaps) they wouldn't reach my GPU anyway.

I got my unit to work as a temporary setup to make sure I had a working power supply that they sent me, but I am going to have to get different PCI-E power cables that are a lower profile. We need slim cables in our mac pros!

Im still searching but so far I've found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200822711651...84.m1423.l2649

and these extensions look useable
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

I havent looked up any 6 pin wires yet because I planned on using a dual 8-pin powered MSI gtx 770.

Last edited by GraniteTheWolf; Jan 21, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
GraniteTheWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:01 AM   #28
teameurox
macrumors regular

Adding extra Internal PSU in optical bay for graphics cards [Build log]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Here it is completed. I was able to run 24 wires through the slot near the front, which is 4x 6pins. There was not enough room to route sleeved cables which I initially tried to route. Everything works great. Running 2 670s of the aux PSU.

Click thumbnails to enlarge.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Here is the hole I drilled to run the power for the power supply. I plan to install a mini plug here so I can unplug the Mac if I ever need to move it.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

I can convert 2 of the 6pins to 8 as soon as I figure out how these propritery cables work.

Thumb resize.

This may be a dumb question but how would one set up a mini plug for the PowerCord on the ePower. I have the same setup going in a 1,1 and its a pain in the ass to have to carry the cable each every time I pull the mac pro out to do something to it.

Last edited by teameurox; Feb 25, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
teameurox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro