Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 1, 2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Kubaton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaxe View Post
Well, I'll give you that. If you use scripts, particularly custom scripts, MP3Tag is irreplaceable.

I stopped using these when I stopped bothering to organize my music collection's layout. This happened when I switched to using iTunes and had it set to keep the media folder organized.. At first I was very reluctant to let iTunes (or any other algorithm) touch my collection. Actually, I preferred not using iTunes at all since I was used to far superior music players like MusicBee and Foobar.

But iTunes is so well-integrated into OS X, and 3rd party music players are so low on features, that I just decided to give up and stick with iTunes. It's working pretty well surprisingly.
I let iTunes keep my music library folder organized also. I use MP3Tag to sort my albums, once matched using iTunes Match, to a backup location for archiving.
Kubaton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:58 PM   #27
bruceleeperry
macrumors newbie

Hi, first post!
I'm looking for something like ABetterFinderRename for tags-I have around 5000 files with key information written into the title tag. This is what I want BUT this info has been written by 2 or 3 different key detection programs and I want to wipe it all and re-detect/standardize them all using one program. Wiping the key tag itself and the key info appended to the actual file name is easy, it's just the pesky title tag I need to hopefully batch remove the last few characters from. Any ideas? I've been looking for a while but no luck so far.

Thanks for any input

edit: got the basic issue solved with Yate! Super-responsive devoloper too, money well-spent, thanks.

Last edited by bruceleeperry; Dec 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
bruceleeperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 04:31 PM   #28
Bild
macrumors newbie

It does indeed work great...and it's free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLover View Post
I'm new to all this, but I've got over 5,000 songs and have been using Kid3 as my Tag editor. It works great and is intuitive. It allows for changing tags on multiple files - even across albums and artists.

Additional features: You can easily rename filenames from tags, tags from filenames, capitalize filenames and/or tags, automatically replace characters (i.e., '-' for ':') as you input and drag and drop album art - for one song or for as many songs at one time as you want - even across albums and artists. You can also add / delete / move files in the Finder and the changes will automatically, and instantly, be reflected in Kid3. Also, it appears to work just as easily with all file formats. You can also play a song within Kid3 (although it appears not to be able to play .wma files).

I wish it had a great find & replace feature, but otherwise it works great. It's very easy to use - even with large collections.

I've tried some of the other tag editors suggested here and find them to either be confusing to use or not as feature rich as Kid3.

According to Kid3: "Kid3 is an application to edit the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in MP3 files in an efficient way. Also tags in Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, APE, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV, AIFF files and tracker modules (MOD, S3M, IT, XM) are supported. It is easy to set tags of multiple files to the same values (e.g. album, artist, year and genre in all files of the same album) and generate the tags from the file name or vice versa."

You can find it at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kid3/?source=directory.
It does indeed work great...and it's free! Thanks for the link.
Bild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:14 AM   #29
jackbristow
macrumors newbie

Hi everyone - first post too! I was wondering if anyone has heard of SongKong? I've been trying it out for free but wanted to know what other people thought about it but taking the plunge and paying for it.

Any advice is appreciated!
jackbristow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:22 AM   #30
JuliaJohnson
macrumors newbie

I have also been trying out the trial, it appears to do a decent job. It said it found 90% of files and trawling through the report seems to have done them right, am going to buy.
JuliaJohnson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:30 AM   #31
jackbristow
macrumors newbie

Thanks Julia. Can you let us know how you like it?
jackbristow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:51 AM   #32
JuliaJohnson
macrumors newbie

okay from what I seen so far it seems easy enough in that you pick a folder and it does the matching, you don't have to pick anything you can just let it get on with it - though it takes a while, but it does add ALOT of info not just song title. And the other thing is that you can reorganize your files based on matches using any piece of information it finds but I've only used the preview so far so I have not done actual renames yet.

Oh and it also does delete duplicate and that worked as well
JuliaJohnson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:16 PM   #33
timpicks
macrumors newbie

Yate for best MP3 tagger - not even a contest

tl;dr: Yate. Best MP3 tagger ever.

Like many of you, I struggled to find a good MP3 tagger when I switched from Windows to Mac. I used the ever-popular MP3Tag on Windows for years, and although it had some "quirks" (to say the least), I learned how to work around the them.

Well let me tell you -- Yate is hands-down the best MP3 tagger on any platform, period. Within 30 minutes I was tagging faster and more efficiently than MP3Tag could ever hope to accomplish. I tried at least half a dozen Mac tagging programs, and none of them had everything you want. Yate has everything. Everything!

I'm what you'd call an "obsessive tagger". I like every MP3 to be "just so", and I hate manually editing anything. Yate takes care of this problem with its Rename and Action functions. Now I click a few buttons and everything is tagged exactly how I want it, with minimal (if any) manual intervention. It's somewhat difficult to believe it when you try it, because it *shouldn't* be this easy - yet it is. Have I mentioned yet that it also works on FLAC files?

The developer is SUPER-responsive, is open to all suggestions for new features, and frankly should be making a mint off this product. I've NEVER spent $20 so wisely in my life.

Give it a try at www.2manyrobots.com. And no, I'm not being paid. I'm just passionate about GREAT software when I see it.
timpicks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:15 AM   #34
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Copy tags from one mp3 to another?

Does anyone know of tagging software that allows you to copy tags from one mp3 to another?

I have a whole bunch of files that I'm "upgrading" from ancient 128kbps encodes to much higher quality ones, but I spent a lot of time on the original tags and it would be a pain to do it all over again.

Maybe something with two columns of files, source of tags on the left, destination of tags on the right, and you line them up in the correct order and hit a "copy" button?

I realize I could probably to this at the command line using some id3 utility + a script, but I didn't know if some handy Mac GUI app already exists that can do this. Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:38 AM   #35
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Does anyone know of tagging software that allows you to copy tags from one mp3 to another?
You might find something that would work from Doug's Applescripts for iTunes.

There are also several tagging apps out there, such as SongKong and Jaikoz, but I haven't tested them to see if they would do what you want. I find that most automatic tagging apps download tags, which don't always match my personal tagging conventions. It takes much longer, but I prefer to manually tag my songs, to meet my own preferences.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:01 PM   #36
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You might find something that would work from Doug's Applescripts for iTunes.

There are also several tagging apps out there, such as SongKong and Jaikoz, but I haven't tested them to see if they would do what you want. I find that most automatic tagging apps download tags, which don't always match my personal tagging conventions. It takes much longer, but I prefer to manually tag my songs, to meet my own preferences.
I ended up compiling this locally:

http://id3lib.sourceforge.net

And using the "id3cp" tool to copy the tags. I just it all up in a shell script and let it go to work.

I did have to clear the existing tag from the destination files first before copying, otherwise you'd end up with two tags on the destination file.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:10 PM   #37
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I've been using MediaRage for many years (And MP3 Rage before MP4's were around), and quite enjoy using it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store