Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I'm asking for a friend of mine. Here is their issue.

I had to take in my phone to the Apple Store to have because I was having some issue with it. So, I did a full backup, and updated to iOS 6.1 before going.

I got a new phone from Apple, and brought it home to restore it. I tried doing a restore, and iTunes said that I needed to update the phone software first. So, I did that. The iOS 6.1 update went fine.

Now, I'm getting to the problem. I connected it to the computer and tried restoring from the backup (from before I went to the Apple Store today), and it said that there isn't enough free space to restore the iPhone from that backup.

Then the phone restarted and it tried doing a sync, and transferring some of the content, but most of the files are not on the phone. Is there any way to get my text messages and other data out of that backup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Python49

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
was a solution for this ever found? im having same problem. It's telling me there isn't enough space on the iphone itself to restore a backup. How does that even make any sense if it's supposed to be clearing the data currently on there and restoring from a previous date? If it had enough space on the prior date to hold the info then why not now?

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
You have to manipulate the backup, remove the stuff taking up space, like photo's and videos, I did it using iBackupBot.

I went from a 32gb to a 16gb and had to cut some stuff, iBackupBot is cool cause you can just copy the stuff out before deleting so you don't lose anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.