Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Remember this psycho? Glad he's finally dead. When I was a kid, it seemed all LA was in fear of this bastard.

link

Richard Ramirez Dead: Serial Killer Known As The 'Night Stalker' Dies In California Hospital

LOS ANGELES — Richard Ramirez, the demonic serial killer who left satantic signs at murder scenes and mutilated victims' bodies during a reign of terror in the 1980s, died early Friday in a hospital, a prison official said.

Ramirez, 53, had been taken from San Quentin's death row to a hospital where authorities said he died of liver failure.

He had been housed on death row for decades and was awaiting execution, even though it has been years since anyone has been put to death in California.

At his first court appearance, Ramirez raised a hand with a pentagram drawn on it and yelled, "Hail, Satan."

His marathon trial, which ended in 1989, was a horror show in which jurors heard about one victim's eyes being gouged out and another's head being nearly severed. Courtroom observers wept when survivors of some of the attacks testified.

Ramirez was convicted of 13 murders that terrorized Southern California in 1984 and 1985 as well as charges of rape, sodomy, oral copulation, burglary and attempted murder.

Satanic symbols were left at murder scenes and some victims were forced to "swear to Satan" by the killer, who entered homes through unlocked windows and doors.

Ramirez was finally run down and beaten in 1985 by residents of an East Los Angeles neighborhood while attempting a carjacking. They recognized him because his picture had appeared that day in the news media.

The trial of Ramirez took a year, but the entire case which was bogged down in pretrial motions and appeals lasted four years, one of the longest criminal cases in U.S. history.

Because of the notoriety of the case, more than 1600 prospective jurors were called.

After his conviction, Ramirez flashed a two-fingered "devil sign" to photographers and muttered a single word: "Evil."

On his way to a jail bus, he sneered in reaction to the verdict, muttering: "Big deal. Death always went with the territory. See you in Disneyland."

The black-clad killer, unrepentant to the end, made his comment in an underground garage after a jury recommended the death penalty for his gruesome crimes.

Inexplicably, Ramirez, a native of El Paso, Texas, had a following of young women admirers who came to the courtroom regularly and sent him love notes.

Some visited him in prison, and in 1996 Ramirez was married to 41-year-old freelance magazine editor Doreen Lioy in a visiting room at San Quentin prison.

Relatives called Lioy a recluse who lived in a fantasy world.

In 2006, the California Supreme Court upheld Ramirez's convictions and death sentence. The U.S. Supreme Court refused in 2007 to review the convictions and sentence.

Two years later, San Francisco police said DNA linked Ramirez to the April 10, 1984, killing of 9-year-old Mei Leung. She was killed in the basement of a residential hotel in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood where she lived with her family.

Ramirez had been staying at nearby hotels.

Ramirez previously was tied to killings in Northern California. He was charged in the shooting deaths of Peter Pan, 66, and his wife, Barbara, in 1985 just before his arrest in Los Angeles, but he was never tried in that case.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
And what's just as horrible is that the guy had fans and got married.

By the time of the trial, Ramirez had fans who were writing him letters and paying him visits. Beginning in 1985, freelance magazine editor Doreen Lioy wrote him nearly 75 letters during his incarceration. In 1988 he proposed to her, and on October 3, 1996, they were married in California's San Quentin State Prison.
Wikipedia Link

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Amazing that despite all the evil he had done, we still could not bring ourselves to arrange a meeting with our Maker. Instead, he died in a nice soft bed after several decades of meals and housing furnished by the people he once terrorized.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Amazing that despite all the evil he had done, we still could not bring ourselves to arrange a meeting with our Maker. Instead, he died in a nice soft bed after several decades of meals and housing furnished by the people he once terrorized.

You know, if he committed these crimes in Texas, we would have executed him years ago. If I had a vote in the method of execution, it would be lethal injection of a rusty knife...multiple times. It's a lot cheaper than the standard lethal injection/gas chamber/electric chair.

And people complain about Texas executing prisoners. Well, this guy is the the sort of scum we execute in Texas.

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
Executing people, with all the attendant risks of killing people innocently and wrongly convicted, is not the answer in a civilised world. It simply stoops to the level of the criminal.

Allowing these people to keep their lives, no matter what evils they have committed and no matter how much we may detest them, shows that we are better than them. That should be the aspiration of all people who wish for a just world.

Mindfield

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
Executing people, with all the attendant risks of killing people innocently and wrongly convicted, is not the answer in a civilised world. It simply stoops to the level of the criminal.

Allowing these people to keep their lives, no matter what evils they have committed and no matter how much we may detest them, shows that we are better than them. That should be the aspiration of all people who wish for a just world.

Also, it rids them of any possibility of remorse. Where I live, the leader of an infamous biker gang was sentenced to life in prison for murder. Five years later, the leader turned to Christianity and he confessed all the criminal activities the biker gang had done, including two other murders that had gone unsolved. His decision required some serious remorse, because according to the biker gang rules, all snitches are to be killed as soon as possible - a rule the leader himself knew all too well. If an execution had been carried out, the two additional murders might have never been solved.

There's plenty of interviews and biographies, where people, who have received their revenge either through their own means or through an execution provided by the legal system say that removing the violator from existence is merely a temporary comfort. The loss of the person, who was originally killed never ceases to torment the minds, who were left behind.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....His marathon trial, which ended in 1989, was a horror show in which jurors heard about one victim's eyes being gouged out and another's head being nearly severed. Courtroom observers wept when survivors of some of the attacks testified.....

.....Ramirez was convicted of 13 murders that terrorized Southern California in 1984 and 1985 as well as charges of rape, sodomy, oral copulation, burglary and attempted murder.....

.....In 2006, the California Supreme Court upheld Ramirez's convictions and death sentence. The U.S. Supreme Court refused in 2007 to review the convictions and sentence.....

Why on earth does it take 24 years and counting, to carry out a sentence. It's not like he didn't have his (many) days in court. 2007 should have been the year.

And what's just as horrible is that the guy had fans and got married. Wikipedia Link

To many people incomprehensible.

.....he died in a nice soft bed after several decades of meals and housing furnished by the people he once terrorized.

An insult to the surviving relatives of those he so gruesomely and remorselessly butchered.

END3R

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Ramirez previously was tied to killings in Northern California. He was charged in the shooting deaths of Peter Pan, 66, and his wife, Barbara, in 1985 just before his arrest in Los Angeles, but he was never tried in that case.

He killed Peter Pan.

JLarson

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Also, it rids them of any possibility of remorse. Where I live, the leader of an infamous biker gang was sentenced to life in prison for murder. Five years later, the leader turned to Christianity and he confessed all the criminal activities the biker gang had done, including two other murders that had gone unsolved. His decision required some serious remorse, because according to the biker gang rules, all snitches are to be killed as soon as possible - a rule the leader himself knew all too well. If an execution had been carried out, the two additional murders might have never been solved.

There's plenty of interviews and biographies, where people, who have received their revenge either through their own means or through an execution provided by the legal system say that removing the violator from existence is merely a temporary comfort. The loss of the person, who was originally killed never ceases to torment the minds, who were left behind.

+1,
I wholeheartedly agree

Good riddance.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

Many times I've heard people try to comfort the grieved by saying, "give it time, time heals everything."

What my life has taught me is that time heals nothing. It merely makes the pain more tolerable.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Ummm.....no. People learn that there are consequences for actions. I wouldn't be blind.

If convicted killers sentenced to death were expediently terminated, the murder rate would decrease.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Ummm.....no. People learn that there are consequences for actions. I wouldn't be blind.

If convicted killers sentenced to death were expediently terminated, the murder rate would decrease.

Convicted killers aren't quickly executed because they have a constitutional right to due process. You'll be glad you have that right if you ever get convicted for a crime you didn't commit.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
He spent 23 years on death row...

23 years on death row is at least 13 years to long.

It's 23 years too long as we shouldn't have a death row. Fortunately this guy got to spend his life in prison and die before the state was able to stoop to his level and murder him.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I used to be a fan of capital punishment, until someone with detailed knowledge explained it to me. Because of the fact that there can be (and have been) cases where the wrong person was convicted, our system has to be incredibly diligent in making sure that no one who is innocent is killed.

What this means is that it has to take a lot of time. And since there has to be this high level of certainty, the cost to kill someone is many, many times more than what it takes to incarcerate them for life. I was shocked to learn this as I assumed we would save money by killing someone.

I have come to the conclusion that I would be happy with serious, violent criminals getting life without the possibility of parole, as long as that can't be reduced to life with the possibility, which always confused me anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.