Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
IpadSC400
macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch Button Fix thread

IDK if you guys have a thread dedicated to broken buttons on the iPod touch, so here is one!

*Add your own ideas on what worked fixing YOUR buttons on the iPod Touch.

This is all from personal experience. Since I buy, fix, and sell iPods/iPhones, I must have a way to fix them without having to open up the iPod. We would like to avoid that anyways...

Lets start with the home button. If it still has "click", you might be able to salvage it. But if your home button is smashed in, your button will need replacing inside. (Usually involving the replacement of a logic board)

So if your home button still has "click", this is what works for me, SOMETIMES.

**THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I"M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR IPOD!!***

Get some isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a Q tip. Pour alcohol into cap, dab Q tip into liquid alcohol. Dab Q tip on home button, then press the home button many times till it starts working. It might be fixed partially, but still, better than nothing.
If your home button still doesn't work, go to Settings<General<Accessibility<Assistive touch and add it to your wallpaper. This will allow usage of all iPod controls at the touch of a white dot. Try it...

POWER BUTTON:
If your power button on your iPod touch does not work but, yet again still has the "click", this might work for you.

I know this sounds stupid, but what you do is suck on the power button with your mouth, for a little bit, as hard as you can. Don't pass out please...Keep trying! This will remove the condensation and moisture inside the housing causing contact defectivities.

If that does not work, press and hold the volume, home, and power button for about 5 seconds. It could be a security feature, IDK, but it works.

If nothing in this thread does it, take your iPod to a professional, see what they say.

Add on as needed...

Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
IpadSC400
macrumors 6502

Has anybody tried putting alcohol on the power button? I might just try that because it's contact too just like the home button.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3
.Asa
macrumors regular

Rubbing alcohol on the home button always works for me. I usually end up doing it once a month or so to keep my home button responsive.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
IpadSC400
macrumors 6502

Something else, if your power button is smashed level with the casing, the only way to fix it is to take the iPod apart, and gain access to the power button, and replace the spring power wire to the power button.

If the home button is smashed in, the cheapest and best fis is to replace it with a screen that includes a power button assembly. They are around 20-25 dollars on eBay.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Elize15
macrumors newbie

Two new videos published lately give a detailed look at the casings of the colored iPhone 5S and the "graphite" 5S, which first showed up in photos earlier this week. Well, a good overview of both the casing and the structural differences between the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5. By October 2013 the new Iphone 5S will be release, of course with the affordable price.
Elize15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch