Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
For some users, if you run n external monitor via HDMI/Thunderbolt, you will lose sound after waking from sleep. Restart is the only way to get sound back.

Also, for me, after waking from sleep, any media that is paused, will not play again. It is frozen. Toggling in settings between HDMI audio and internal speakers brings it back, but once you go back to HDMI audio, it all goes to crap.

10.8.5 has been a real drag for a lot of users.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Can confirm that this issue is not isolated -- I'm having it too. Temporary workaround for me was to disable display sleep, which seems to prevent external drives from spinning down. I can't hear the internal drive in my iMac, so I don't know if it helps with internal drives too.

I just tried it on my Mac Pro and it stops the internal HDDs from powering down. Great! Except now the monitor has to stay on, albeit with screen saver.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Is 10.8.5 causing problems for others with Mail?

This morning my Mail got super-hosed - said i needed to restart to rebuild the mail index, and that would happen every time i quit and restarted. Blew away the index files, restarted, and I'd still get the same problem. Went so far as to complete blow away the maildata folder and re-setup my mail - worked for a bit after resyncing my mail, then got to pretty much the same hosed state.

Granted, I have a fairly large amount of mail that its syncing to on my work's exchange server, but wondering if the 10.8.5 'Mail fix' had some unintended side-effects. I did run 10.8.5 for a few days without problems, so not sure what to make of it.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Well for the first time ever... Apple has broken my machines!!

10.8.5 makes my Mac Pro restart after waking from sleep.

Way to go Apple.

Now do I go back to 10.8.4 or go to Mavericks DP7...

I can vouch for that. Initially I didn't see any issues other then what sounds like my drives sleeping/waking up (even once it's awake). I never slept the computer, only shut down the display. The option to sleep hard disks was also unchecked.

In an effort to see if I could fix, I set the computer to sleep and 'thought' I set it back (toggling the option). Next time I woke up, what I thought was just the monitor but the entire computer, it crashed and rebooted. I sent the report to Apple (still unknowing that the entire computer had gone to sleep).

It happened the next time again, and that's when I found my error and set the computer not to sleep.

Stay clear of 10.8.5. Crashes after sleep on Mac Pro.

Maybe this is their way of forcing ML folks to Mavericks :eek:

EDIT - This problem seems to be related to the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD. Found a thread on Apple forums. If you have one of these PCIe SSD's in your Mac Pro and it's crashing, please send a system report to owc@macsales.com as they have a few customers reporting it but are are having issues recreating the problem.

Last edited:

jimoase

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
10.8.5 still stutters...

The long waited for fix for the beach ball while typing, the pause while listening to audio or watching video still happens with the same frequency.

Apple collected lots of files from lots of users and nothing, they are still stumped.

If that simple problem remains this late in OSX's history what are the odds it will be suddenly fixed with the next version of OSX.

Anyone else continuing to have stuttering issues?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Improvements to AFP File Transfer Performance

For the love of all things holy, fix 10.9's AFP!

EDIT - This problem seems to be related to the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD. Found a thread on Apple forums. If you have one of these PCIe SSD's in your Mac Pro and it's crashing, please send a system report to owc@macsales.com as they have a few customers reporting it but are are having issues recreating the problem.

That surprises me as I have yet to know of an OWC product completely hosed by an OS X update. I have an OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G (yeah yeah, I got the SATA III in hopes a new Mac Pro would support it internally). Does this relate to the Accelsior bring PCIe?

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I can vouch for that. Initially I didn't see any issues other then what sounds like my drives sleeping/waking up (even once it's awake). I never slept the computer, only shut down the display. The option to sleep hard disks was also unchecked.

In an effort to see if I could fix, I set the computer to sleep and 'thought' I set it back (toggling the option). Next time I woke up, what I thought was just the monitor but the entire computer, it crashed and rebooted. I sent the report to Apple (still unknowing that the entire computer had gone to sleep).

It happened the next time again, and that's when I found my error and set the computer not to sleep.

Stay clear of 10.8.5. Crashes after sleep on Mac Pro.

Maybe this is their way of forcing ML folks to Mavericks :eek:

Well unless my 6G Sata Card uses the same chip, then it [Accelsior] isn't, because I don't own one of them.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Well unless my 6G Sata Card uses the same chip, then it [Accelsior] isn't, because I don't own one of them.

Hmm, maybe the problem is bigger than just with the OWC card. I'm not sure if this is the 'chip' in mine, but it shows up as Marvell Raid VD in disk utility (nothing 'brand name' in system report).

Vendor ID: 0x1b4b
Device ID: 0x9230
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1b4b
Subsystem ID: 0x9230
Revision ID: 0x0010

Regardless, Apple really botched this one up cause despite my crash on sleep, my legacy hard drives seem to sleep all the time, even when the display isn't, regardless of how I set any options in the power settings.

----------

That surprises me as I have yet to know of an OWC product completely hosed by an OS X update. I have an OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G (yeah yeah, I got the SATA III in hopes a new Mac Pro would support it internally). Does this relate to the Accelsior bring PCIe?

I'm not sure, but just a guess I don't think so as that is attached to an Apple drive bay, right? Thinking it's got to do with the pcie cards.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I hope that this finally fixes my slow wake from sleep time on my 2012 Macbook Air! Opening the lid and having to wait for 15-20sec before I can even type my password is not instant on - doesn't happen everytime but at least 50% of it. :mad:

I should have bought an air... my macbook pro takes a minute or longer and it really pisses me off...but only when the power cord is attached.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Put hard disk to sleep when possible - unchecked (i.e. do not put to sleep)

Use Finder to do large copy from disk A to disk B (different disk manufacturers)

Leave for a couple of hours

Both disks go to sleep, copy still active but obviously not progressing

Wake both disks - nothing changes

Relaunch Finder - won't

Far beyond rubbish...

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
After installing 10.8.5 update my Seagate external hard drive that I use as my Time Machine backup won't mount. I can see it in Disk Utility, but it refuses to mount.

Anyone else? Suggestions?

Mine mounts, today after 3 hours it had backed up 4KB of 6GB during which time OSX had put it to sleep, tried looking at it in Finder, spinning ball bottom right of Finder for tens of minutes, got bored Relaunch Finder - failed, Power button hold down, Reboot, Disk utility to check all disks are ok then start again. Now into its second hour of preparing backup.

All this with Preferences Put disk to sleep box unchecked, i.e. keep them spinning away...

Only suggestion is to dig out the bug report - was an article here a few weeks/months ago about it being revised

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Hmm, maybe the problem is bigger than just with the OWC card. I'm not sure if this is the 'chip' in mine, but it shows up as Marvell Raid VD in disk utility (nothing 'brand name' in system report).

Vendor ID: 0x1b4b
Device ID: 0x9230
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1b4b
Subsystem ID: 0x9230
Revision ID: 0x0010

Regardless, Apple really botched this one up cause despite my crash on sleep, my legacy hard drives seem to sleep all the time, even when the display isn't, regardless of how I set any options in the power settings.

----------

I'm not sure, but just a guess I don't think so as that is attached to an Apple drive bay, right? Thinking it's got to do with the pcie cards.

Have a look at my findings here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17920086/

Turns out the card is fine in windows (sleep and all) but even if no disks are plugged in it buggers up 10.8.5 and DP6 onwards.

I will be installing 10.8.4 fresh tomorrow to see if I can go back to my previous config!

roboclint

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Installed it on our 2008 MacPro at work this morning (after installing it on my personal 2009 MBP and 2011 iMac with no known issues) and I have a couple of issues:

The main one being that it has seemingly killed Final Cut Pro 7, which I use every day, it won't make it past the splash screen, I just get an "application not responding" after about a minute and it's done. I've left it "working" (activity monitor says it's not doing anything) for 30 min - an hour and it hasn't budged, so this is kind of a big deal.

Almost EVERYTHING ELSE will pinwheel for about 5 seconds at launch or if I try to save a file (like in Photoshop).

What's going on here?

Note: I just installed an SSD in this machine and a Raid 10 for all media, it was running FLAWLESSLY. Very upset.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Can confirm that this issue is not isolated -- I'm having it too. Temporary workaround for me was to disable display sleep, which seems to prevent external drives from spinning down. I can't hear the internal drive in my iMac, so I don't know if it helps with internal drives too.

Tried this as temporary work-around. Unfortunately didn't work on my Mac Mini.

Set copy from external one disk to another running - Finder estimate 10 hours. Left mac running overnight, with no other activity on the machine. Woke to find was still an estimated 6 hours and no further progress being made. Source disk still spinning but no activity. Target disk not spinning.

Finder unresponsive - just grey pinwheel when accessing any drive.

Start new process (Preferences) to get to menu bar so I can shut down. Process starts but no window appears. Repeat with another app (Reminders) Same effect - Menu but no window.

Select Shut Down... no effect

Eventually resort to holding power button down.

EDIT:
Reset the Preferences to:
Display Sleep 15 minutes
Put hard disks to sleep UNCHECKED (i.e keep them spinning)

Restarted the copy

Ran for about 4 hours then
OSX attempted to put source disk to sleep
Could be reawakened if caught quickly by hopping around a few folders on the source disk using Finder
15 minutes later another attempt to put source disk to sleep
Again, could be reawakened by hopping around the folders, except this time Finder wouldn't refresh any window with folder contents, just grey spinning pinball
15 minutes later, another attempt to put disk to sleep; repeat until bored...

By this time all other disks on which there had been no write activity had gone to sleep. Couldn't reawaken any of them using finder to look at the folders but they would dismount, so closed them all down and held power button down again

Per earlier post, this is way beyond rubbish behaviour.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
The long waited for fix for the beach ball while typing, the pause while listening to audio or watching video still happens with the same frequency.

Apple collected lots of files from lots of users and nothing, they are still stumped.

If that simple problem remains this late in OSX's history what are the odds it will be suddenly fixed with the next version of OSX.

Anyone else continuing to have stuttering issues?

just when logging in from sleep mode....2012 27" iMac takes a good 10-15 to start the display up and then registers all the typing at once after the beach ball has its way for a bit

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Sound Quality

Installed on my 2012 MacBook Air (upgrading from 10.8.4) and now the sound is very "tinny" and the speakers sound awful. I can't see anything in the Sound settings that have changed, and no Equalizer settings in iTunes were changed.

Anyone else have this?

Just updated to 10.8.5 and there is indeed a drop in sound quality. Irritating since I have high quality speakers. I used CC cloner prior to the update and unless they release a mini update to correct the problem soon I will revert back to 10.8.4. Though, I would not hold our collective breath since the bug with CAC cards I was aware of for over 2 years ago and they finally got around to fixing it. I repeatedly sent in bug reports and tried everything under the sun to fix the CAC bug and yet it took well over 2 years to correct.
I will try to reset the PRAM.......

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Noticed that ram management way better on my mba 2013 4gb ram model, leaves more free ram with same usage like it was on 10.8.4

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
This release = One of the worst jokes in history

Just gets worse with each release; examples 1 and 2 new, 3 onwards reported to Apple in prior release and still and no fix

For example 1:

Its now three days since Time Machine performed a backup.

Why - no matter what settings are used in Preferences, the target disk for Time Machine goes to sleep at some stage in the process and Time Machine can't wake it up gain

Ditto, at some stage the source disk may go to sleep and Time Machine can't wake that either

For example 2:

Three different paid for apps, plus Finder have had external disk go to sleep while they are writing to the disk. Each drive from a different manufacturer, each app from different vendor

For example 3 (carried over from 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3, 10.8.4):

Manually stopping Time Machine means shut-down never completes (press the power button time)

For example 4 (carried over from 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3, 10.8.4):

I can still scroll faster than Safari can paint the page. Yet IE in a Vista VM on the same machine is flawless

And so on...

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
I can now confirm that my Mac Pro on 10.8.5 is spinning down internal drives even though the Energy Saver panel's "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting is unchecked. This is different behavior from 10.8.4, and is in my opinion a bad regression.

Note that by this I mean the OS is spinning down the drives when the system is up and running, not just during system sleep. I have system sleep completely disabled.

I will try an SMC reset on the Pro later today.

Drive spin-down is unbelievably annoying on a workstation or server. I can barely tolerate it on my laptop. (Oh, great, it's been 120 seconds; now I have to wait three seconds for the drive to spin back up, during which time the whole damn system locks up.)

Yep - totally agree - disk sleep is using the Display settings and ignoring the check-box for disks.

This is after
- using combo update
- resetting SMC
- re-setting PRAM

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Finally got around to checking this, I have powernap enabled on battery and it still takes a while when I open the screen. I think it's putting itself to sleep when it shouldn't be. :confused:

Then if I were go I would try to get in contact with Apple about this. Don't know if you're still within the 90 day complimentary telephone support coverage, have the extended AppleCare protection plan or live near any Apple Store ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.