Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:30 PM   #76
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

As I noted earlier, WiFi is adversely affected. My data transfer speed was reduced by a factor of 100 or killed altogether...
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #77
sportster
macrumors 6502

Well crap...

I'm so on the fence with it, now leaning more towards just skipping it. I really like the package, has everything I'm looking for in one unit. DVD drive, SD reader (front facing), external HD.

What gets me is, people on that blog page clearly state they do not have issues with other usb 3 devices. It's only when the ministack max is powered on.
sportster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:40 PM   #78
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

I am unsure why people seem to like slot load drives. They have a higher failure rate and also tend to be slower than their tray load counterparts. I would love to have a tray load that was the same footprint (though it will be taller) as the Mini and then in addition something like the Mini-Stack.

As for Thunderbolt - its a very expensive proposition between any Tbolt unit plus cable. USB3 is superior to FW800 and in that, it meets the needs of the majority of people (though I do love faster is better).

I have older Mini Stacks and they work as claimed. I have had zero problems and have since graduated them on to a friend of mine who finds them efficient and easy on the eyes.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:45 PM   #79
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster View Post

What gets me is, people on that blog page clearly state they do not have issues with other usb 3 devices. It's only when the ministack max is powered on.
Other USB 3.0 devices do cause problems; a quick Startpage search will turn up lots of reports online about USB 3.0 interference...

I agree with the previous post about slot-loading optical drives: If anything is likely to fail prematurely, it's a slot-loading drive. Apple's so-called "Super Drive" is a cheaply-built mostly plastic device in a typical purty Apple package.

I'm glad that optical drives are going the way of the Dodo bird. But if you must have one I recommend a $30 Samsung USB slot-loading drive (Newegg) or $40 LG tray-loading drive (Best Buy). When it breaks (and it will, probably sooner than later...) you can just throw it away and buy a new drive. Replacing an optical drive in a Mac or Mini Stack will cost more money and require dismantling the computer/enclosure; in some cases the repair is so complex that it is beyond most people.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:33 PM   #80
itsthamessenger
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to itsthamessenger
its not a bad piece, would help if it had thunderbolt. would help if we all had thunderbolt displays lol too. i think if u arent really stacki ng your mac on it it may work. i agree with the other poster on buying your own drive though.
itsthamessenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:15 AM   #81
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Can someone test if this can rip Blu-Ray discs using MakeMKV on a Mac? NewerTechs pages say that it only works in Windows, but it is unclear if it only refers to Blu-Ray playback, which currently doesn't work in Mac OS X of course.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:37 AM   #82
RaceTripper
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
Can someone test if this can rip Blu-Ray discs using MakeMKV on a Mac? NewerTechs pages say that it only works in Windows, but it is unclear if it only refers to Blu-Ray playback, which currently doesn't work in Mac OS X of course.
I use one of OWC's tray loading BRD to rip Blu-ray disks.
RaceTripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:41 AM   #83
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I use one of OWC's tray loading BRD to rip Blu-ray disks.
Thank you, I assumed as much.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 05:35 PM   #84
mpainesyd
macrumors member

Sonnet TB dock

A new Thunderbolt dock with USB3, Blu-ray etc has been announced:
See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565862

See also this Apple Discussion:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/21710111#21710111
mpainesyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #85
RaceTripper
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpainesyd View Post
A new Thunderbolt dock with USB3, Blu-ray etc has been announced:
See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1565862

See also this Apple Discussion:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/21710111#21710111
For $400. I would rather see it without TB for a lot less (like $150 or so).

TB adds a big premium and many (me for one) don't need it.
RaceTripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:19 PM   #86
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Has ANY of these docks been released yet? I keep seeing announcements of massively overpriced docks but I don't recall ever seeing one actually for sale (save the one built into Apple's monitor which STILL hasn't been updated to USB3 even).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:13 PM   #87
mpainesyd
macrumors member

Thunderbolt dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
Has ANY of these docks been released yet? I keep seeing announcements of massively overpriced docks but I don't recall ever seeing one actually for sale (save the one built into Apple's monitor which STILL hasn't been updated to USB3 even).
The Australian distributor for Sonnet hopes to be able to tell me next week when the TB dock will be released here and for how much (waiting for a shock). The Sonnet online store is taking orders but is only available to North American residents.

Still no sign of the Sunix dock, 8 months after it was announced.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:52 PM   #88
mpainesyd
macrumors member

Sonnet TB dock

Still a few weeks to go...

https://secure1.sonnettech.com/produ...cfb1977b318fff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonnet_TB.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	410804  
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #89
helkav
macrumors newbie

possibly a stupid question...

...bear with me - power is not my forte.

looking at the specs for the newertech ministacks it looks like the power may not be dual voltage - i.e. compatible with UK power supply

has anyone in the UK bought one and could you possibly advise me on this?
helkav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion