Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Time Warner Cable has updated its TWC TV iOS app [App Store] to allow subscribers to watch on-demand content as well as bringing other minor updates. In a blog post on its website, Time Warner says the update adds the ability to watch 4,000 TV and movie titles from 94 different providers.

mzl.yaugnwom.480x480-75.jpg
The catalog is a mix of standard and high-definition content, but the cable company says it will add more HD content and more content overall as it is able.
On demand - Over 4,000 TV shows and movies from 94 providers

- FF / REW / Pause using standard iOS player controls (FF disabled where required).
- Browse by TV Shows, Movies, Kids or network.
- Search - search the On Demand catalog by title.
- Parental control - Channel blocking (network based parental control) is enforced for both TWC TV live and on demand content. To block channels, visit myservices.timewarnercable.com.

Live TV guide - now features "recently viewed channels" button to quickly recall previously viewed live TV channels.

Numerous performance enhancements and bug fixes have been implemented to improve the overall user experience.
The new Version 3.0 update to TWC TV is now available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Time Warner Cable Updates TV App with On Demand Content

GoodNewsNobody

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Good News, Bad News

Good news is now you can watch everything that is on demand on your ipad/iphone/ipod. Bad news is this is still Time Warner Cable and the network tv shows still have ads on them. If you have a jailbroken ios device you need to install FakeTimeWarner from Bigboss tweaks before you can view anything. :mad: Time Warner for some reason doesn't want jailbroken devices watching their stuff.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
I find their app somewhat useful, but the channel lineup doesn't include any of the main networks: NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc., so I can't watch any sports or specials. I'm paying to see them on all my tv's, why can't I watch them on my iPad as well?

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
awesome. just signed up for only the app - no cable box or anything. paying an affordable monthly fee for all TW cable content but in an "app only" form. it's great.

:confused::confused::confused: [snort, grumble] :confused::confused::confused:

OH MAN I just had the craziest dream you guys where a cable company let me become a customer without being a slave to an actual cable box! What a brave new world it was…

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
Can I take this out of the house house and log onto my TWC account while on a friend's/Starbucks Wifi?

It will only work if you
1) jailbreak
2) load fake twc jailbreak tweak (does it work on this new 3.0 release? Anyone know?)
3) setup a VPN server at home on either your router if it has the feature or windows 7 (and probably 8 too) with ports open on firewall for VPN.

Basically with all that setup you dial up your VPN at home from your iDevice while at friend's house/Starbucks wifi/etc and your VPN will act as a proxy so the app believes you are at home on your home network. You need the tweak because Time Warner's app checks to make sure you are not using a VPN and the tweak removes that restriction. You need the VPN so your iDevice is part of your home network even though you are remote.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It's nice that they finally allow this, given we pay $50 a month for cable TV and DVR.

It sucks though that you can't fast forward. They should have designed it like hulu and had set commercial break points, rather than just editing the commercials and show together. So if you see the first half of a show you would have to run the show for the first 15 minutes rather than starting where you left off. I'm fine with the commercials, just let me go to any point in the show that I want.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
what exactly is the benefit here for time warner to limit you to your homenetwork? how does this benefit time warner?

i want to watch my on demand when I demand to do so wherever the demand I am!

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I find their app somewhat useful, but the channel lineup doesn't include any of the main networks: NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc., so I can't watch any sports or specials. I'm paying to see them on all my tv's, why can't I watch them on my iPad as well?

You can get ESPN through the WatchESPN app (which is better since it allows you to watch anywhere, not just at home).

As for the other stations, it's a national app and they only really have the stations that are national. It would be much more difficult to pipe in all of the local stations from the entire nation.

what exactly is the benefit here for time warner to limit you to your homenetwork? how does this benefit time warner?

i want to watch my on demand when I demand to do so wherever the demand I am!

The benefit for them is that you don't give your password to your friends who don't have cable and give them access to everything for free. I wonder if there would be a way to spoof the modem MAC address though (since that is more than likely how the determine it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.