Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I currently own an early 2008 iMac (2.8Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM) running ML.
It's not that I'm unhappy with ML, but I miss the 'snappiness' I had with SL. I just don't feel that my iMac has the necessary horsepower for ML.
I'm therefore considering downgrading back to SL.

However, I'm also interested in buying an Apple TV3. What would I be missing out on if I didn't have ML anymore, apart from the iCloud stuff and considering I can still run the latest version of iTunes on SL ?

kswalker75

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
ATV3 & ML vs. SL

I have the ATV2 and ATV3. I use the 3 several times a week, mostly for Netflix and to stream iTunes from my iMac upstairs in the office. It works really great and I never have any issues with it.

I have a mid-2010 iMac (i3 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM) running ML. I do agree with you that SL was very snappy. I would go back to running SL if iMessage and Notes were supported.

The 2.8GHz C2D is plenty for ML, 4GB of memory is a little low, I would recommend at least 8GB. The early 2008 iMac (2.8GHz 24") can handle 6GB max. All you would need to purchase is the 4GB module. Its the 200 pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM. Crucial sells these at a really cheap price. This would help ML out a bit.

I just sold my late 2008 MacBook Pro which was running ML, it had a 2.4GHz C2D with 8GB ram. It ran ML very well. I purchased a new mid 2012 MBP with an i7 2.3GHz and I maxed the ram out in it to 16GB. ML is very happy on it I should say.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
The 2.8GHz C2D is plenty for ML, 4GB of memory is a little low, I would recommend at least 8GB. The early 2008 iMac (2.8GHz 24") can handle 6GB max.

In Activity Monitor, page outs are always at zero. Free memory (green) never goes below 500Mb.
Not a heavy user. Some iTunes, iPhoto, iWork and internet. Some occasional gaming. Memory is not really the problem. I don't think 2Gb of extra memory would make a difference. A C2D is of an older generation, even a basic Core i3 blows the socks of my C2D.
I agree, ML runs quite nicely, but I miss the responsiveness of SL. I've tried out ML on new machines in a shop, there's no comparison : my iMac feels like a turtle compared to the new ones.

But anyway, I wouldn't miss out on too much when going back to SL, right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.