Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm sure you have all read about Sony's patent that blocks you from playing and therefore selling used games.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games
Even though this may well not be incorporated into the next Playstation, does this put anyone off? I mean, it is going to happen anyway when we completely move to digital over the next 5-10 years.
Honestly does not bother me. I rarely buy used games (almost never, like 5 times in my life), most games I buy are pre-ordered anyway. I do however make use of trading in, but can live without it, I understand that this may be a set back though.

As a side note, with the industry suffering for a number of reasons, I think it would be fair for this to be brought in, more money going to publishers who make great games has to be a good thing.

I'm sure I read about this before the PS3 was launched, and everyone getting worried about it then too. Theres a slow shift towards download games now and I see this as being part of that. I imagine the following will happen either next gen or the one after;

A system like the Vita, where all games are downloadable - some are still cart/disc based. When you buy a game in the shop you don't buy a playable game like you used to. Instead you get a cached backup of the game that is installed to your HDD and the game added to your account.
This limits disc games to one person, which is what some publishers want, it decentralises your game collection, games still have shelf exposure, it readies players for a future that is completely downloaded.

And do not underestimate the scale of the second hand industry. I used to only buy games new, but I've been forced into it a few times due to rare games I realised they're not bad (especially for cart and PS3 games (tougher than DVD)). Where I live there are more franchised second hand game shops than new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.