Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:36 AM   #26
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
GREAT!!! So many apps to choose from... oh wait, none is made by
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:48 AM   #27
amundln
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
This is the free OmniFocus license key that the Omni Group posted on their blog:

License Owner: Waiting for OmniFocus 2
License Key: KXKN-ZJDB-EJCX-LZHW-CFBF-QFC
(From http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...ng-omnifocus-2)

They will debut OmniFocus 2 on January 31st, looking forward to it! I guess their competitors know this and are using discounts to get users on board before OF 2 is released. And Omni is trying to counter it by giving away a free license. Competition IS good for consumers
amundln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:01 AM   #28
rodpascoe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newquay, Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by amundln View Post
This is the free OmniFocus license key that the Omni Group posted on their blog:

License Owner: Waiting for OmniFocus 2
License Key: KXKN-ZJDB-EJCX-LZHW-CFBF-QFC
(From http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...ng-omnifocus-2)

They will debut OmniFocus 2 on January 31st, looking forward to it! I guess their competitors know this and are using discounts to get users on board before OF 2 is released. And Omni is trying to counter it by giving away a free license. Competition IS good for consumers
I ditched OmniFocus a month or two ago and now use doit.im. So far I'm LOVING the better interface and better iPhone, iPad and OSX apps.
rodpascoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:29 AM   #29
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Meh. I tried to get into these sorts of apps but found them more of a hinderance. You still cant beat a good old paper to-do list IMO. Then have that followed by a much more extensive todo list in a Google doc or evernote - does the job fine without having to pay for what is essentially a fancy todo list app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
GREAT!!! So many apps to choose from... oh wait, none is made by
and why the hell is that an issue exactly?
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:36 AM   #30
Greg.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, UK
These all seem awfully expensive for applications that essentially display a list of things to do.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro || OnePlus One || Google Nexus 7
Greg. is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:39 AM   #31
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
A "GTD" promotion without OmniFocus? Maybe Apple really is slipping...
Yep, definitely Apple's fault. Apple is just different without Steve. Without Steve the Omni Group refuses to reduce the price.
__________________
Clarus says "Moof!"
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:33 AM   #32
happyduck42
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
A "GTD" promotion without OmniFocus? Maybe Apple really is slipping...
On the brink of OmniFocus 2 being released. I don't think it make since for OmniGroup to discount V1 a few days before the unveiling (not sale) of V2. Makes me think the others are doing a fire sale before the V2 announcement; but then it could be a coincidence.
happyduck42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:41 AM   #33
amundln
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Meh. I tried to get into these sorts of apps but found them more of a hinderance. You still cant beat a good old paper to-do list IMO. Then have that followed by a much more extensive todo list in a Google doc or evernote - does the job fine without having to pay for what is essentially a fancy todo list app.[COLOR="#808080"]
Good point. Apps can be great for capturing and organizing stuff, but many task managers need a lot of maintenance to be effective. They are overkill if all you want to manage are simple, personal tasks.

Having a text document and transferring tasks to a piece of paper may be more low-tech than buying an app with lots of bells and whistles, but it does the job. Compared to Evernote I think Apple's Reminders offers an easier way to capture thing on the fly, but like a text list it does not require any organizing if you don't want to.

For work I use Omnifocus. It has all the features you need to stay on top of projects with a lot of people involved, long time frames and so on. Still transfer tasks from OF to paper each morning, though.
amundln is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:49 AM   #34
tardegrade
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Devon, UK.
I've been waiting and waiting for Things to go on offer. Nice app, but woefully overpriced. Now it's at the price it should be all the time. Purchased!
tardegrade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:57 AM   #35
balconycollapse
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City
I tried a lot of these tools. Things was given up on for poor customer service. Omnifocus was too pricey. 2do was ok. It became evident that there the main idea to get from GTD is to split big projects into doable chunks to help yourself be able to open your to do list and just grab something off it that can be done in an hour. Some people started GTD with a small notebook. I spend so much time working at the computer that I went with Workflowy which is a web app and now iPhone app. Basically an infinite outliner with tagging links and completing of tasks if you want to organize your todos. More flexible then having to conform to the way these apps want you to optimize your working by filling in too many details dates. That stuff is just friction that slows you down when you have a good idea. Real paper and pencil is still the best but you need a lot of sheets if you're going to get a lot done and keep a lot of notes along the way.
balconycollapse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Keebler
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
I bought the Mac version of 2Do.

I've been using the iOS since it came out.
I prefer it because it can be simple or more involved if you choose. It's up to you.

Bought the Mac version because my iPhone isn't always with me, I'm faster typing on my keyboard and I like the notifications feature in ML.

I like the syncing capabilities between the devices and Mac.

Solid customer service. Quick to help whenever I've needed it and they seem to stay on top of it. They're not a dormant developer.

I'm sure many of the other apps offered can be great too.

The point for any of these apps is to get right into it and use it....whichever one.

My Grandma used to keep very organized using a regular piece of paper and pen so I figure 2Do's simple enough for me.

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:02 AM   #37
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020
 
mdriftmeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
These apps are extremelyl limited in functionality and originally way over priced.

Make an application like Pencil Me In [from Sarrus and later buried @ Sun Microsystems Inc] for $39.99 or $99 Enterprise license of unlimited number of clients hitting a PostgreSQL 9.2.x+, Oracle, MySQL 5.5+, even SQLite or NoSQL to do what it did and you'd have a winner:



OS X Applications with limited functionality to be similar to iOS apps is not what the consumer needs.
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:04 AM   #38
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
I use pocket informant. No real reason to switch to any of these.
__________________
@JBoDEAN

2011 13'' MB Air || 64GB Iphone 6 (T-Mobile) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:11 AM   #39
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
These apps are extremelyl limited in functionality and originally way over priced.

Make an application like Pencil Me In [from Sarrus and later buried @ Sun Microsystems Inc] for $39.99 or $99 Enterprise license of unlimited number of clients hitting a PostgreSQL 9.2.x+, Oracle, MySQL 5.5+, even SQLite or NoSQL to do what it did and you'd have a winner:

Image

OS X Applications with limited functionality to be similar to iOS apps is not what the consumer needs.
Are you serious? Yes lets make the application with as many features and clutter as possible, thats exactly what consumers need.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:18 AM   #40
Tomacorno
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardegrade View Post
I've been waiting and waiting for Things to go on offer. Nice app, but woefully overpriced. Now it's at the price it should be all the time. Purchased!
I am away from my Mac but looked at some Things reviews and opened the app store to look at the iPad version. The reviews tout its sync across devices. However, the iPad version looks to be $19.99. It appears that if I buy Things for the Mac on sale at $24.99 I also have to buy the $19.99 iPad version to take advantage of the sync across devices. And I suppose an additional something if I wanted it on an iPhone.

So, that kind of takes the wind out of that sail. The app store makes no indication of the sale extending to iOS land at this time. Which would make sense. I suppose if you really like the app then you are getting the Mac and iPad versions for the price of the Mac version. The problem is I don't have any idea if this will be better than the other apps I have tried and that is a spendy gamble.
Tomacorno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:13 PM   #41
tardegrade
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Devon, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacorno View Post
I am away from my Mac but looked at some Things reviews and opened the app store to look at the iPad version. The reviews tout its sync across devices. However, the iPad version looks to be $19.99. It appears that if I buy Things for the Mac on sale at $24.99 I also have to buy the $19.99 iPad version to take advantage of the sync across devices. And I suppose an additional something if I wanted it on an iPhone.

So, that kind of takes the wind out of that sail. The app store makes no indication of the sale extending to iOS land at this time. Which would make sense. I suppose if you really like the app then you are getting the Mac and iPad versions for the price of the Mac version. The problem is I don't have any idea if this will be better than the other apps I have tried and that is a spendy gamble.
Yep. That's one of the reasons why I think it's so overpriced. But then I've had the iPhone version of it for a long time so it makes sense for me. I certainly wouldn't have paid full price though. As there are better To-Do apps out there for less (it's simplicity works for me). If you go to the developers website they offer a free trial for the Mac. It's worth trying it that way before buying as it's certainly not for everyone.
tardegrade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #42
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
...and why the hell is that an issue exactly?
and why the hell you have an issue w/ my having an issue w/ an apple software promo with no apple apps
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 PM   #43
Cubert
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyHolt View Post
This get stuff done design looks absolutely atrocious. Who is signing off on this stuff?
Scott Forstall. On his way out the door.
Cubert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:32 PM   #44
NUR6
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
OmniFocus2 is in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
A "GTD" promotion without OmniFocus? Maybe Apple really is slipping...
http://www.omnigroup.com/thedebut/

FYI might want to wait and see. Personally I use Things.
NUR6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:56 PM   #45
NUR6
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Other GTD tools on the way?

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/1...to-the-masses/

I use Siri to reminders or Apple Mail and quick entry to Things (all devices) to BusyCal works for me. YMMV.
NUR6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:55 AM   #46
AndrewJMason
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
OmniFocus 2

Just wanted to throw my two cents in. Waiting for OF2....and had an exclusive interview with the CEO of Omni about this week's event where he spills a few more details about the new version. Looks pretty sweet! - http://proguide.io/omnifocus-2-0-preview-with-ken-case/
AndrewJMason is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 'Tetris' App Now Free in Apple Store App Promotion MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 70 Feb 17, 2014 08:30 PM
GOG.com Launches Digital Indie Game Store to Compete with Mac App Store and Steam MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 14 Aug 21, 2013 03:30 PM
Mac Game Store Launches Steam-Like Digital Download App MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 72 Nov 10, 2012 04:05 PM
Apple Launches OS X Mountain Lion via Mac App Store for $19.99 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 1045 Aug 3, 2012 07:53 AM
Apple Launches New 'Food & Drink' Category on App Store MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 46 Jul 15, 2012 09:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC