Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #226
Dr.Defrant
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy99 View Post
So you are saying the bootcamp installation will not boot your MBPr if it is on an external drive?

Is your external drive Thunderbolt? It's a whole load more difficult to get Windows to boot off a USB device.
It will let me boot the cloned installation from my external drive but not once the bootcamp partition on my internal drive is deleted. I realise this is not the preferred method and I have followed several tutorials which say exactly what order to do things in (let windows 7 install drivers, clone, shut down after clone, remove thunderbolt drive, restart osx, delete internal partition, restart osx, alt booting etc.) all to no avail. Obviously you are not supposed to boot into the cloned drive with the bootcamp partition still installed to get it to work without the internal partition but I gave up on this as I figured a 20gb partition internally with the full space on my external drive was better than nothing. Maybe it is possible with a clone it just wouldn't work with the variations I tried and given I had to delete the windows partition each time (and therefore reinstall it) I eventually gave up. My drive is the LaCie Rugged thunderbolt. Also, for what it's worth, this works without cloning if you just use bootcamp assistant and then do the windows install on an external drive but you have to keep the 20gb internal partition. I am hopeful this windows prepared method will work however. I am yet to test since my MBPr is getting its screen replaced atm but I will post an update once I get a chance to try it out.

Last edited by Dr.Defrant; Aug 15, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Dr.Defrant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:08 PM   #227
scienide09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy99 View Post
There is a WHOLE load easier way. Just install windows on your internal drive using the Bootcamp Assistant as normal.

And then use Winclone to migrate the Windows installation over to whatever external device you like, and then delete the original internal Windows installation.

Winclone does cost you $30 but it's a useful tool to have for backing up your Bootcamp installation, resizing it, moving it whatever.

This whole process is dead easy and doesn't need any fiddling about editing installation files or anything else.
I'm interested in this method, as my SSD should be arriving within the next week, and my refurb iMac too.

Unfortunately Winclone doesn't see my Bootcamp partition at all. Anyone else hit this problem? I'm running 10.7.5. Disk Utility shows it but reports the partition as "not mounted", won't let me mount. The partition is reported as FAT. It's Win7 on the partition, if that matters.

EDIT/UPDATE: A separate program on my iMac reports the Win7 partition as NTFS. Any idea why this might be?

Last edited by scienide09; Aug 18, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
scienide09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #228
KaraH
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
this is not correct.your random access with an external t-bolt ssd is far better then your random access of any internal mechanical hdd.
What about USB3? I am looking at external SSD drives and am not seeing a lot of TB enclosures out there.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:25 PM   #229
MrGimper
macrumors 65816

Try this method for booting windows from an external drive. I did it and it works a treat.

http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html?m=1
MrGimper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:34 PM   #230
rodrigoluizb
macrumors member

I was wondering if, using this ssd as my boot drive, i will able to use bootcamp on this ssd, as well as my montain lion. I mean, i pretend to run macOSX and windows (via bootcamp) on the external lacie rugged ssd together.
rodrigoluizb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #231
KaraH
macrumors 6502

Is it just a matter of mirroring the system partition (I assume the recovery ratition stays on the HDD?) ... does anyone know what happens when you run the OS updater with recovery on one drive and boot on another? Or should I just copy the new system to the SSD again?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:19 AM   #232
calearne
macrumors member

Warning do not install trim enabler!!!

It caused my iMovie app to lag/not respond when trying to open it.

I turned off trim and even deleted it using appcleaner and it still was causing problems.

I had to do a clean install to fix it.

I also have a question, Are these the best settings as far as garbage collection goes for the SSD?

Computer sleep [off/never]

Put hard disks to sleep when possible [off/unchecked]

Powernap [off/unchecked]
calearne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:25 PM   #233
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by calearne View Post
Warning do not install trim enabler!!!

It caused my iMovie app to lag/not respond when trying to open it.

I turned off trim and even deleted it using appcleaner and it still was causing problems.

I had to do a clean install to fix it.

Powernap [off/unchecked]
Could some other explanation be possible ?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
lugesm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:56 PM   #234
calearne
macrumors member

I did multiple tests and it was for sure trim enabler causing the mess.
calearne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:16 AM   #235
Kositch
macrumors newbie

Question DIY FD blackmagic slow write speed?

Hi, I created succesfuly DIY FD using internal 1TB HDD and external LaCie TB 120GB Rugged SSD (I know external storage is not officialy supported). Using OS 10.9, FD created on same version.

Everything is fine and running (recovery hd and bootcamp partitions stayed untouched, complete recovery of TM backup 450GB).

System is lot faster - booting with 5 desktops and lot apps under 30 s, Adobe LR, PS around 5s.

I have only one problem with results of Blackmagic benchmark - write is inbetween 50-100 MB/s and read inbetween 200-380 MB/s (see the screenshot). Quite a bit span in results, sometimes faster sometimes slower (once I measured write 270 MB/s). What I am concerned about are write speed, because when I copy 2 GB file on FD it shows on SSD 200 MB/s and more using iostat.

Dont know if it is just problem with my benchmark or FD is really slow, what does not seem regarding the practical use experience.

Thanks for answer and your opinion&experince!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm.png
Views:	36
Size:	738.5 KB
ID:	445364  
Kositch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 01:43 AM   #236
edolelkes
macrumors newbie

LaCie Porsche Design120GB SSD Slim

Has anybody an experience wit LaCie Porsche Design120GB SSD Slim? The producer declares 400Mb/s read speed. It has only USB3 connection (no TB). Will it be OK for primary boot disk on iMac 2013? Thanks a lot for comments.
edolelkes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:12 AM   #237
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

See these Amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Porsche-...DateDescending
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:13 PM   #238
InquisitiveAmI
Banned

Really interesting thread .
Just one question for something like a Samsung 512 840 pro SSD should I got with the desktop adapter and what sort of speeds am I expecting?
InquisitiveAmI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:06 PM   #239
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveAmI View Post
Really interesting thread .
Just one question for something like a Samsung 512 840 pro SSD should I got with the desktop adapter and what sort of speeds am I expecting?
From what I've read so far - drives larger than 256GB will probably need dedicated power as the bus power over TB won't be enough, so you are correct in assuming you will need the desktop adapter.

In terms of speed, I'm not 100% sure, but you will likely see near-native SATA3 speeds. FWIW, I plan on picking up the 256GB Lacie rugged drive and using it as a boot drive. That way I don't have to worry about the SSD not receiving enough power over TB.
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:18 PM   #240
tennisguy
macrumors newbie

Kositch

KOSITCH - Any resolution? I'm experiencing same thing. All feels ok, but my Black Magic benches are in exactly same ballpark.

Makes me wonder if I should keep using the DIY fusion (since its working well) or try to separate and go boot drive SSD & Internal HDD for all else.
tennisguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 02:30 AM   #241
rbart
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
KOSITCH - Any resolution? I'm experiencing same thing. All feels ok, but my Black Magic benches are in exactly same ballpark.

Makes me wonder if I should keep using the DIY fusion (since its working well) or try to separate and go boot drive SSD & Internal HDD for all else.
I had the same setup (DIY FD with Lacie Rugged 120 and internal HD).
I had the same bad results.
The problem comes from the Sandisk U100 SSD that is built into le Lacie enclosure.
It has really very bad perfs in writing when the disk is almost full.
I hyave replaced it into the enclosure by a 840EVO 256Go and now I have very good performance.
rbart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 05:30 AM   #242
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD (SanDisk U100) and have installed Mavericks running over Thunderbolt with my late 2013 27" iMac. The machine is a LOT faster now. It is running as if the SSD is hooked up directly over SATA3, very impressed!

BlackMagic results:
- Write = 285.3 MB/s
- Read = 379.3 MB/s
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:25 PM   #243
tennisguy
macrumors newbie

rbart & bluesun

rbart & bluesun....I appreciate your ideas and feedback.

Rbart, funny thing is I have the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb from the start. I'm wondering if my issue is that it is connected USB 3 and even though it is still new, maybe lack of TRIM is killing it. I previously had speeds of 250 write / 500 read, so it definitely slowed down. Maybe Black Magic just can't bench the DIY Fusions very well.
tennisguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 05:28 PM   #244
gazing
Banned

Brilliant thread , exactly what I needed.
I suppose my burning question is would the Samsung lacie setup suffice to boot windows 8 via boot camp alongside it having to handle light music production

Or would the buffalo ministration be better, maybe even g drive mobile?
gazing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:04 PM   #245
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazing View Post
I suppose my burning question is would the Samsung lacie setup suffice to boot windows 8 via boot camp alongside it having to handle light music production

I've heard that the LaCie rugged can boot Windows over TB without any issues.
Blue Sun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:56 PM   #246
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazing View Post

i used the samsung lacie option a while back, with bootcamp installed onto external 128gb drive. worked well

tbh 12 months later, i hardly ever use windows, and tbh am thinking will wipe the drive, and maybe try linux, as i really dislike windows os more n' more, with every new iteration!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac