Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Or can you simply go from bluray -> TV then Audio Out of TV to Receiver? Or is it always better to use the Receiver as an HDMI Switcher?

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
My ps3 is set up so that optical audio goes to the receiver and hdmi goes straight to the tv.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Or can you simply go from bluray -> TV then Audio Out of TV to Receiver? Or is it always better to use the Receiver as an HDMI Switcher?

Some 3d blue ray players have two hdmi out--one to tv for 3d video, one to receiver for audio--for those who do not want to upgrade the receiver to 3d at this time.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Okay, that's what I was wondering as I didn't want to have to do the receiver as well to save some money for now. But I do see myself probably upgrading it in the future.

Thanks!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

You simply need a BluRay 3D player and a 3D TV. You don't need a 3D receiver to pay 3D blu-ray discs.

You MUST have a BluRay 3D player, not a normal BluRay player.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Not sure about Bluray, but I was able to play 3D (side-by-side) movies from my ATV - via an old HDMI switch and an old AV receiver - no problem.

However, when playing 3D games on the 360, I had to bypass the HDMI switch and receiver so the HDMI went straight to the TV and the optical audio to the receiver; which made switching between the 360 and other devices more awkward (need to switch the AV receiver's input for the audio and the TV's input for the video).

I never actually tested 3D on the 360 when connected via the switch & receiver, but everything I read online said it wouldn't work unless both support 3D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.