Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eforegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Hi

Thanks to the help of this forum I've been going through my films and creating m4v's from my MKV files. The vast majority are done with no issue using subler. However on a small number of files, where the picture play fine, there is no audio.

When looking at them in my old copy of quicktime, the audio is in the following format, mpeg-4 HE AAC 5.1. Despite a search I'm at a loss how to get these files onto apple TV with the audio. As you can probably tell I'm not technical expert so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Hi

Thanks to the help of this forum I've been going through my films and creating m4v's from my MKV files. The vast majority are done with no issue using subler. However on a small number of files, where the picture play fine, there is no audio.

When looking at them in my old copy of quicktime, the audio is in the following format, mpeg-4 HE AAC 5.1. Despite a search I'm at a loss how to get these files onto apple TV with the audio. As you can probably tell I'm not technical expert so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

AAC 5.1 is not actually supported by the Apple TV. You need to use a different program (Handbrake, MP4Tools, or others) to make an AC3 audio track if you want true 5.1 surround sound. If you are fine with faux-surround (that is honestly very good), run the file through Subler again but choose "AAC - Dolby Pro Logic II" as the audio mixdown instead of "AAC - Multi channel".

eforegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I'm not too bothered on having the full surround sound experience, would be happy just to hear the films. I'll give that a try.

Thanks very much for your help

eforegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Sadly there was no joy doing this. Dont know if its anything to do with the HE format whatever that is, still silent. I'll keep persevering however if anyone has come up against this issue or knows of a solution, I'd love to hear from them.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Can you do a scan of your output file using Media Inspector (or MediaInfo) to provide us with some technical information?

eforegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Hi

Below is the info from mediainfo. For some reason, although I'm asking subler to mix to stereo, the output is as follows:-

Audio: 188kbps, 48.0KHz/24.0 kHz, 6 Channels, AAC (HE-AAC/LC)

Really not sure what I'n doing wrong but subler doesnt seem to be converting the audio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.