Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:08 PM   #51
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
All I'll say is that you're barking up a lot of trees, none of which are the right one.

Also unsure of your motivation and goals here.
What is the right tree then? I've tried the Apple Store, AppleCare, Tim Cook's office, and the BBB, and so far I have nothing.

My motivation is to get Apple to pay for this repair, because they are rightfully responsible. I just have to figure out if there is a law in the United States or Connecticut that pins them down to legal responsibility for what they are rightfully responsible for, since right and wrong have no meaning in court, only what the law says.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:53 PM   #52
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
What is the right tree then? I've tried the Apple Store, AppleCare, Tim Cook's office, and the BBB, and so far I have nothing.
Compare that list to suggestions offered. Which one is missing from your list?

Hints: 26, 36, 46.

You trying to figure out whether you have a legal case or not is like you trying to figure out which chip is defective and how to desolder it and replace it. Unless you have the skills yourself, then you take it to a professional for diagnosis and repair. In the case of a defective chip, take it to a qualified electronics repair technician. In the case of legal standing, take it to a consumer-law attorney.

Quote:
So here's the thing. I'm trying to figure out if there is a legal basis to ....

The problem is that I can't figure out if there is a legal basis ...
Replace the words "legal basis" with "electronic basis". Are you a qualified electronics technician? If not, then why do you think you'd be able to figure out an electronic problem without electrinics training and experience?

You might blindly try the small-claims route, but you could just be pissing away the filing fee unless you have competent advice on what to claim. Or ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
chown33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:03 PM   #53
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Compare that list to suggestions offered. Which one is missing from your list?

Replace the words "legal basis" with "electronic basis". Are you a qualified electronics technician? If not, then why do you think you'd be able to figure out an electronic problem without electrinics training and experience?

You might blindly try the small-claims route, but you could just be pissing away the filing fee unless you have competent advice on what to claim. Or ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
It makes no sense to hire an attorney for a case that's only worth $600. The math doesn't work on that one, so FAIL there.

The legal side is what I don't have right now. I understand the electronic side of it very well, and I could explain it to anyone, including a judge.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #54
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
It makes no sense to hire an attorney for a case that's only worth $600. The math doesn't work on that one, so FAIL there.
Consulting an attorney doesn't necessarily require hiring one. You may know someone who knows an attorney, who is at least willing to hear your story over a beer. You may be able to find an attorney to work on a contingency fee basis, or pro bono. You may be able to barter some of your time and services with an attorney for a brief conversation about how you might best pursue your legal claim.

At this time, I see only two paths:
1. Small claims court.
2. Consulting an attorney.

I see no path that doesn't involve engagement with the legal system. Given that, you might get better advice in that area (i.e. how to engage the legal system) on a forum that specializes in consumer-law or small-claims.

Coming to MacRumors for legal advice seems less likely to succeed than coming here for competent medical advice. I would say both are very unlikely, and the only reason I have for thinking medical advice more likely is that I have seen several posters who say they are actual physicians. I have yet to see any poster say they are a lawyer. YMMV.

Quote:
The legal side is what I don't have right now. I understand the electronic side of it very well, and I could explain it to anyone, including a judge.
Then it seems to me that you need to engage the legal system yourself (small claims) or engage someone on your behalf (attorney).
chown33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:09 PM   #55
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Consulting an attorney doesn't necessarily require hiring one. You may know someone who knows an attorney, who is at least willing to hear your story over a beer. You may be able to find an attorney to work on a contingency fee basis, or pro bono. You may be able to barter some of your time and services with an attorney for a brief conversation about how you might best pursue your legal claim.

At this time, I see only two paths:
1. Small claims court.
2. Consulting an attorney.

I see no path that doesn't involve engagement with the legal system. Given that, you might get better advice in that area (i.e. how to engage the legal system) on a forum that specializes in consumer-law or small-claims.

Coming to MacRumors for legal advice seems less likely to succeed than coming here for competent medical advice. I would say both are very unlikely, and the only reason I have for thinking medical advice more likely is that I have seen several posters who say they are actual physicians. I have yet to see any poster say they are a lawyer. YMMV.

Then it seems to me that you need to engage the legal system yourself (small claims) or engage someone on your behalf (attorney).
I did ask one attorney, but consumer law is way outside of her specialty. I don't know any others.

The issue with small claims court is that I don't know what law Apple is breaking. If they're not breaking a law, I can't prove diddly squat in court. "They screwed me and owe me a new logic board" isn't a legal case.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:25 PM   #56
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I did ask one attorney, but consumer law is way outside of her specialty. I don't know any others.
I assume you're in CT. Have you tried contacting Connecticut's Dept. of Consumer Protection?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:32 PM   #57
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
I assume you're in CT. Have you tried contacting Connecticut's Dept. of Consumer Protection?
Excellent idea. I'll try that if the BBB complaint falls through. I didn't even think of doing anything at the state level. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues