Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Do we have to use this new plan, ATT next if we want to update an iphone every year? can we still buy the phone subsidised or partially subsidised without doing their crazy plan and trade in?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Only time will tell. No one is forcing you to do anything but there is no doubt that many of the carriers are changing the choices.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
So assuming as of now we still can. Yeah they could force anything.

Worse comes to worse i guess we can buy unlocked from apple about a month after the phone's release.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You dont. You are better off breaking your contract, or just buying the phone at full price than this scam of a plan.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks yeah not clear if the old annual upgrade options was available. Guess we'll find out when the new iphone comes out and for people who got the 5 in the past 8-12 months.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Thanks yeah not clear if the old annual upgrade options was available. Guess we'll find out when the new iphone comes out and for people who got the 5 in the past 8-12 months.

If it's available or not, the edge plan should not be an option for anyone.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... but there is no doubt that many of the carriers are changing the choices.

Agreed. I'd sit tight right now if I was out of contract. I certainly wouldn't extend any contracts.

I expect this rumored 'cheap iPhone' to shake the market up considerably. I think the carriers expect it too. Why else are they scrambling to push 'good' deals all of a sudden? Somethings changing. Something big. What seems a 'good' deal now may look like golden handcuffs in a few months.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Agreed. I'd sit tight right now if I was out of contract. I certainly wouldn't extend any contracts.

I expect this rumored 'cheap iPhone' to shake the market up considerably. I think the carriers expect it too. Why else are they scrambling to push 'good' deals all of a sudden? Somethings changing. Something big. What seems a 'good' deal now may look like golden handcuffs in a few months.

That is great point. All these plans could be indication of cheaper priced iphone coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Here is the big concern:

If all the major carriers go this new "early upgrade" route, and make it the new norm and mandatory for all consumers, they have effectively found a way to fleece the consumer of approx $160 per year by effectively ending the premise of the cel phone subsidy in exchange for 2 year contract days. For most people, signing a 2 year contract in exchange for $500 off their phone purchase is a great deal. Most people are not going to change their cel phone provider in less than 2 years anyways, so getting $500 off a phone in exchange for services they were already going to receive is a huge savings.

With the new plans, that subsidy goes away, but the average person is no more likely to switch their carriers. Essentially, they are forfeiting the subsidy (as well as ownership of their phone) for the ability to go to a different carrier at any time, but the other major carriers won't be offering a subsidy either, so there is little to gain from a switch (taking reception and customer service preferences out of the equation).

This is all VERY concerning and could be incredibly costly every consumer.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
These new plans are just there for the mathematically challenged to be fleeced by the carriers.

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I just came from an AT&T store, and for what its worth, the guy working there said that customers would not be forced into this new upgrade plan, and the previously existing subsidy for 2 year contract plan would still be in effect.

As a side note, he gave me a look when i asked him about the new plan, and then advised me that the new plan is for suckers, which I think we all agree is true.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Here is the big concern:

If all the major carriers go this new "early upgrade" route, and make it the new norm and mandatory for all consumers, they have effectively found a way to fleece the consumer of approx $160 per year by effectively ending the premise of the cel phone subsidy in exchange for 2 year contract days. For most people, signing a 2 year contract in exchange for $500 off their phone purchase is a great deal. Most people are not going to change their cel phone provider in less than 2 years anyways, so getting $500 off a phone in exchange for services they were already going to receive is a huge savings.

With the new plans, that subsidy goes away, but the average person is no more likely to switch their carriers. Essentially, they are forfeiting the subsidy (as well as ownership of their phone) for the ability to go to a different carrier at any time, but the other major carriers won't be offering a subsidy either, so there is little to gain from a switch (taking reception and customer service preferences out of the equation).

This is all VERY concerning and could be incredibly costly every consumer.

There are carriers who cost way less that AT&T. If you do not like them, tell them by taking your account somewhere else. I have found that over many year that AT&T offered good service for the dollar. The day I do not think so, I will leave.

The price for delux phones and service WILL be going up, just like everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.