Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Your take on T-Mobile $30 Prepaid plan (100 min, unlimited text, 5GB of 4G data)
Something like this would be great for me 270 78.03%
Not for me 76 21.97%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:25 AM   #526
morphodone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekidk View Post
I have to say it became a quest I didn't expect. I tried to buy the code PsstGreek suggested multiple times, but I just kept on getting errors and wasn't able to buy it. I tried a few different payment options, but my orders just didn't go through. Then I read some recent customer reviews and found out some other ppl had the same thing.

So... I wonder what I should do. Should I buy one of these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-N...n-Kit/34443772
(but "in-store only", and doesn't even have a price... what is this, anyway?)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-S...000101&veh=cse

Or, should I just swing by the nearest Walmart?

Thanks for your advise.
Not sure why you are having so much trouble. You do not need to go to wal-mart to buy the SIM but you can.

I bought a sim kit from Target and activated it online.
You can see the plan here:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Towards the bottom left of the page it reads:
100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com
Perhaps you should set up a new number and then call T-Mobile support and have them port your current number over to the new SIM. This is what I did because I wanted to try out the service before I ported my number from AT&T.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM   #527
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphodone View Post
Not sure why you are having so much trouble. You do not need to go to wal-mart to buy the SIM but you can.

I bought a sim kit from Target and activated it online.
You can see the plan here:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Towards the bottom left of the page it reads:
100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com
Perhaps you should set up a new number and then call T-Mobile support and have them port your current number over to the new SIM. This is what I did because I wanted to try out the service before I ported my number from AT&T.

Hope that helps.
That's exactly it! This plan is intended only for new T-mobile subscribers, so if you try to port your number over from another T-mobile plan, it won't offer this plan. You need to sign up as a new activation and take a new number (or port a number from a different carrier).

Once you have the plan active on a new number, you can call within 30 days and port your existing number over. I know for sure you can do this from another carrier, and I'm nearly certain you can port your other T-mobile number over and they won't notice it's going to this new plan. Just be aware that if you are porting over another pre-paid number and that account has a credit balance on it, you will lose that credit....so run your credit down before porting the number over.
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:39 AM   #528
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserB View Post
That's exactly it! This plan is intended only for new T-mobile subscribers, so if you try to port your number over from another T-mobile plan, it won't offer this plan. You need to sign up as a new activation and take a new number (or port a number from a different carrier).

Once you have the plan active on a new number, you can call within 30 days and port your existing number over. I know for sure you can do this from another carrier, and I'm nearly certain you can port your other T-mobile number over and they won't notice it's going to this new plan. Just be aware that if you are porting over another pre-paid number and that account has a credit balance on it, you will lose that credit....so run your credit down before porting the number over.
It is intended for new customers but the system will not prevent you from porting your T-Mobile # on another plan over to this new $30 plan during the sign up. I've done it twice in the past.

Last year, I opened an account on a new Nexus 4 using the $70 postpaid. A month later, the CS told me I could cancel it by porting my # over to a new account which I did and that was the $30 plan.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:39 AM   #529
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I was on a Simple Choice Plan and transferred over to the prepaid plan (same number) with no issues.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:30 PM   #530
karatekidk
macrumors regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
It is intended for new customers but the system will not prevent you from porting your T-Mobile # on another plan over to this new $30 plan during the sign up. I've done it twice in the past.

Last year, I opened an account on a new Nexus 4 using the $70 postpaid. A month later, the CS told me I could cancel it by porting my # over to a new account which I did and that was the $30 plan.
Interesting. Well, I wasn't sure what to do, so I just checked with two local Walmarts. One of them had a T-mobile nano sim starter kit ($38.99) in stock, so I just grabbled it and got it activated for the $30 plan. Yes, because of my lack of knowledge, it was a real hustle, but I am good now. Thanks all for your help!
karatekidk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:02 PM   #531
Bacong
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
38.99? jesus. you could've got the sim for like 10 bucks at a t-mobile store.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:04 PM   #532
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong View Post
38.99? jesus. you could've got the sim for like 10 bucks at a t-mobile store.
that 38.99 also includes $30 for the first month.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:08 PM   #533
Bacong
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
that 38.99 also includes $30 for the first month.
ah, okay!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:23 AM   #534
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Does anyone know how to port a T-mobile post-paid number to this plan? I have the correct SIM purchased from T-mobile.com but I want to keep my post-paid number when i switch.

Can i do this online? Call? Do i need to go to a T-mobile store?
MBHockey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:24 AM   #535
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Does anyone know how to port a T-mobile post-paid number to this plan? I have the correct SIM purchased from T-mobile.com but I want to keep my post-paid number when i switch.

Can i do this online? Call? Do i need to go to a T-mobile store?
You do it during the sign up process for the $30 plan.
JackieInCo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:38 PM   #536
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
You do it during the sign up process for the $30 plan.
Thanks, worked perfectly!

Question: I'm a bit unclear how this works as I've never done Prepaid before. So, I pay $30 at the start of the month but I can also add funds above that amount so that in case I go over the allotted 100 minutes it automatically deducts from that extra balance? I signed up for the auto-pay, so it will charge my card every month, and so I'd only have to add funds if I'm worried about going over the 100 minutes in any particular month?

Edit: Bummer -- looks like there is no tethering included. I knew this was a risk, but heard conflicting things about whether or not this worked. Was hoping to get lucky!

Last edited by MBHockey; Mar 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
MBHockey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:15 PM   #537
rui no onna
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Edit: Bummer -- looks like there is no tethering included. I knew this was a risk, but heard conflicting things about whether or not this worked. Was hoping to get lucky!
Tethering is an additional $15/month on this plan.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:15 PM   #538
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks, worked perfectly!

Question: I'm a bit unclear how this works as I've never done Prepaid before. So, I pay $30 at the start of the month but I can also add funds above that amount so that in case I go over the allotted 100 minutes it automatically deducts from that extra balance? I signed up for the auto-pay, so it will charge my card every month, and so I'd only have to add funds if I'm worried about going over the 100 minutes in any particular month?

Yep. If you go over your minutes you can add more money in and it will deduct from the balance.

Tethering would be an additional $15/month on top.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:02 PM   #539
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Yep. If you go over your minutes you can add more money in and it will deduct from the balance.

Tethering would be an additional $15/month on top.
Tethering started working today for apparently no reason. I did not add the service for $15 a month. I did have my phone unlocked via the official route (requested from t-mobile then restored my phone and iTunes told me it was unlocked) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Whatever happened i'm not complaining
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:05 PM   #540
Christian 5G
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Christian 5G
Quote:
Tethering started working today for apparently no reason. I did not add the service for $15 a month. I did have my phone unlocked via the official route (requested from t-mobile then restored my phone and iTunes told me it was unlocked) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Same!!! My tethering started working like a week ago... Interesting I didn't pay extra 15$. Hopefully it'll stay that way
Christian 5G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:07 PM   #541
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Mine shows up that way as well (also went the same route as you). I have the option of turning on wi-fi hotspot and everything. I wonder if we would be charged anything?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:14 PM   #542
dewthedru
macrumors regular

is there any reason not to just leave it turned on if nobody is connecting to it?
dewthedru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:32 PM   #543
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

I spoke to soon -- so the tethering option is now available but when I try to use it I get redirected to a t-mobile page telling me to sign up for hotspot. Oh well!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone