Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Kinkade
macrumors member

Open Pages file on a PC

I wrote up a paper for school, saved it on my flash drive and went off to school.

Only problem is my school is entirely PC, and I didnít remember to save it for word.

I need a program that can convert a pages document to word or let me open it in another program on the PC.

I tried installing open office on the computer here at school but it wont let me. I should be able to install most other programs though.

When my professor asks me who I donít have it done I donít want to say because I use a mac. Well I do, but I shouldn't.
Kinkade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:59 PM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade View Post
I wrote up a paper for school, saved it on my flash drive and went off to school.

Only problem is my school is entirely PC, and I didn’t remember to save it for word.

I need a program that can convert a pages document to word or let me open it in another program on the PC.

I tried installing open office on the computer here at school but it wont let me. I should be able to install most other programs though.

When my professor asks me who I don’t have it done I don’t want to say because I use a mac. Well I do, but I shouldn't.
Email it to me at xxxx.com and I'll convert it for you.

Edit: two years later, I'm still getting requests because of this thread. I'm going to have to get out of this business -- sorry.

Last edited by wordmunger; Sep 8, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Kinkade
macrumors member

Many Thanks.
Kinkade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:14 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603

No problem... on its way. Though it would be cool if anyone knows of a windows application to convert pages documents.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:34 AM   #5
triplejadogg
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can someone help me with a conversion document.. I have a interview today and I updated my resume on Pages at Home and emailed it to myself at work which is a PC. I have no idea how to change the format.. can I email it to someone here and have you guys convert it for me??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
triplejadogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:54 AM   #6
MDTyKe
macrumors regular

Edit: Kept getting emails

Last edited by MDTyKe; Aug 30, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
MDTyKe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:58 AM   #7
mnh73
macrumors newbie

An easy solution

Some continued googling revealed a much easier solution. Apparently the .pages format is really just a zipped file. You can open it with winzip, stuffit expander, or any such program. If you don't have one of those programs, one suggestion that I read that I'm pretty sure would work is to just change the file extension from .pages to .zip and then windows will open it with its built-in compressed folder utility.

Once you do open it, you'll find a bunch of individual files, but also a pdf titled "preview" which has the entire contents all in one convenient pdf.

Much easier than finding a generous soul to email.

MH
mnh73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Nermal

I've been unable to replicate that; the .pages "file" is actually a directory. There's a thumbs/page_thumb_1.tiff inside it containing a thumbnail of the document, but it's far too small. There's also a .gz archive but it only contains XML.

It's possible that newer (or older) versions of Pages (I have version 3, aka '08) use a different format though.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:33 AM   #9
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnh73 View Post
Some continued googling revealed a much easier solution. Apparently the .pages format is really just a zipped file. You can open it with winzip, stuffit expander, or any such program. If you don't have one of those programs, one suggestion that I read that I'm pretty sure would work is to just change the file extension from .pages to .zip and then windows will open it with its built-in compressed folder utility.

Once you do open it, you'll find a bunch of individual files, but also a pdf titled "preview" which has the entire contents all in one convenient pdf.

Much easier than finding a generous soul to email.

MH
I did this on my Mac...haven't tried it on the Windows box. The file will indeed change to .zip, and it does contain the pdf you talk about, but it's much smaller than standard 8.5 x 11.

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
mac2x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:53 AM   #10
mysterytramp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2x View Post
I did this on my Mac...haven't tried it on the Windows box. The file will indeed change to .zip, and it does contain the pdf you talk about, but it's much smaller than standard 8.5 x 11.
It might not work on some documents. When you save in Pages, there's a checkbox that says "Include preview in document." If that's not checked, you don't get the full size PDF.

mt

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store