Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Mike Elgan says Apple should stop making iOS apps. I disagree. They need to make better iOS apps not turn it over to 3rd parties.

http://www.cultofmac.com/208529/why-apple-should-stop-making-ios-apps/

That's a pretty good article.

If Apple could make better apps they'd do it. They can't.

The problem is, of course, that Apple would have to let apps do more things because they give their own apps artificial sandbox advantages to anti-competitively protect their inferior products.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Mike Elgan says Apple should stop making iOS apps. I disagree. They need to make better iOS apps not turn it over to 3rd parties.

http://www.cultofmac.com/208529/why-apple-should-stop-making-ios-apps/

I agree with you. The thing I like about Macs is that it comes with all basic features out of the box (ex. iPhoto, Garageband, Apple Mail, Safari etc..). It's what I hated about Windows; you had to go download a basic email program, you had to go download PDF readers, etc.

Apple brought most of that idea to iOS (it includes a lot of features). However, they can definitely add more and tweak their current ones as well.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I feel its important to take notice of the real essence of this thread and the articles. Design can DIRECTLY impact experience. Are Apple's apps functional, sure, but the user interfaces are very different and a lot of elements are just simply not needed. Apps like weather and stocks are basic and functional with their user interfaces. Then there are apps like Podcasts or the iPad music app (since iOS5) that leave out basic functionality(ipad music app) or simply dont operate properly (podcasts). Also there are inconstancies all over the place within Apples own apps.

The whole skeumorphic design choice is another argument. But simple functionality needs to be there. This could all be solved by Apple letting us use our own default apps and allow them to tie into the system for using things like Siri, etc.. That alone would completely change functionality of all of our own devices to our own need. All it has to be is check box in iTunes or something to "allow this device to use custom default apps"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
That's a pretty good article.

If Apple could make better apps they'd do it. They can't.

The problem is, of course, that Apple would have to let apps do more things because they give their own apps artificial sandbox advantages to anti-competitively protect their inferior products.

BS. They can do it. Especially now that the two biggest obstacles are gone: Steve Jobs and Scott Forstall. I wouldn't be surprised if Jony Ive has wanted to get his hands on UI design for a while but never got the chance because of Steve (and Scott).

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I think a big reason why developers are moving away from the iOS HIG(Human Interface Guide) is because apple is allowing it. Before if you didnt use 99% standard iOS controls your app was sure to be rejected. Now it seems Apple is a little more lax on what you can do.

I just submitted a new App that really does not use any standard controls but still behaves somewhat within the HIG.

I really like the simple look of letterpress/windows phone apps so I went that way.

Very much a niche app with no content relevance here but a letterpress/windows phone combo design. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/occupational-therapy-study/id588676123?ls=1&mt=8

Last edited:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I think a big reason why developers are moving away from the iOS HIG(Human Interface Guide) is because apple is allowing it. Before if you didnt use 99% standard iOS controls your app was sure to be rejected. Now it seems Apple is a little more lax on what you can do.

I just submitted a new App that really does not use any standard controls but still behaves somewhat within the HIG.

I really like the simple look of letterpress/windows phone apps so I went that way.

Very much a niche app with no content relevance here but a letterpress/windows phone combo design. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/occupational-therapy-study/id588676123?ls=1&mt=8

Sorry but, in my eyes, that looks awful.... the gaudy 2d flat colours.... androids appreciation of the 'flat' look is much nicer than Windows; but it's all subjective.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York

No offense but that looks like it was made by an amateur with a WYSIWYG editor. Actual Microsoft design language ("Metro") looks far better

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
No offense but that looks like it was made by an amateur with a WYSIWYG editor. Actual Microsoft design language ("Metro") looks far better

It was made by an amateur (Me) lol. Anyways I still prefer the look to the basic boring iOS controls. Hopefully with time I can get it a little better looking thanks for the input.

No editor/design program was used just solid color buttons/images . This way I was able to make it very light weight and when writing for 3.5inch 4inch and ipad sizes everything scales without having 3-4 diff sets of images. I guess luckily for me everything else in the niche looks pretty bad so maybe I am the best of the worst?

Last edited:

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
It was made by an amateur (Me) lol. Anyways I still prefer the look to the basic boring iOS controls. Hopefully with time I can get it a little better looking thanks for the input.

Can i give you a tip?

There's too many colors, and too many things on every screen. It's not terrible, though!

Good luck with the app.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I love these experts. Same guys who said no one will use a phone without a keypad? No one will use the Internet on their phone? Go away and get a real job.

"There are some in the design community ..." translates as "we found two people who ..."

I think a lot of these geek-focused sites forget that with the numbers of phones sold, the geek way may not be the mot popular. Sure, you may find a bunch of people who want to heavily customize a phone. But then you get my parents, aunts and uncles who are so glad the thing just works out of the box.

----------

While the main point of the article merits consideration and discussion, the article itself is just Elgan going full retard.

Yearly contests? LAWL.

LOL. Everybody knows you never go full retard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.