Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

What device and iOS version are you on?? My iPad 1 and iPod Touch 4th gen take time to load content in the music app. This has to do with slower processors and ram. My iPad 4 and iPhone 5 load instantly with no issue.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Pandora sucks. Why does anyone want to listen to the radio when you can listen to exactly you want?

If apple offers something like Spotify, then maybe it would be worth having news about.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
What device and iOS version are you on?? My iPad 1 and iPod Touch 4th gen take time to load content in the music app. This has to do with slower processors and ram. My iPad 4 and iPhone 5 load instantly with no issue.

I'm running an iPhone 5 and it takes 30-120 seconds for my purchase list. Then it loads extremely slow while scrolling. Purchases won't even load on either of my 2 iPhone 4. The App Store crashes. (iOS 6.0.1)

I tried to hide purchases to try to help but the feature isn't working (swipe right in list to reveal hide button). I hardly ever get on iTunes on a computer. It's worth a try if you want to speed up loading of purchases though. You can always find previously purchased content searching iTunes to reload without additional cost.

----------

Pandora sucks. Why does anyone want to listen to the radio when you can listen to exactly you want?

If apple offers something like Spotify, then maybe it would be worth having news about.

I don't listen to a lot of radio, but it is another option to discover music without Internet. You don't always see all the sings you might like featured on iTunes or otherwise.

I like Pamdora. Haven't made the switch to Spotify since I don't care about the social features. There's a reason it still is one of the most popular apps. I used to enjoy last.fm until the forced mobile users to pay a monthly fee.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me. I have iTunes match and am very happy with it. Don't know why so many people knock it and praise Pandora and Spotify. For $25/ YEAR , yes YEAR not MONTH, this a good value!

:D

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
The big players in on-demand subscription music

Spotify: 5 million + paying subscribers
Deezer: 3 million +
Melon: 2 million +
Rhapsody: 1 million +
Mnet: 1 million +
Muve Music: 1 million paying subscribers

Between these 6 players, there are around 13-15 million paying subscribers worldwide.

Smaller players: Sony Music Unlimited, XBOX Music, Wimp, Rdio, MOG and some others

Pandora has 1.5 million paying users who pay $36 a year according to their latest financial result. But Pandora is on-line radio, not on-demand.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maybe I'm missing something but iTunes doesn't work like that. The iTMS does give you links to all the music but only to sell it to you. My Library however is useless for clicks/links etc, I've been using iTunes since the day it was launched and I've outgrown it/it hasn't grown up.

I'm genuinely not trying to attack you or anything, so please bear with me. The iTunes Store does work like I described. You can access a discography page for an artist by clicking on the artist name. It has biography information and links to similar music just like Spotify has on the artist pages.

The latest iTunes version has improved links to the store from your own library. Just click on the name of the song, album or artist.

Of course iTunes only sells to own, I know that. but all the functionality to stream and to compete with Spotify is already there. Already now you can listen to streaming parts of each song (1.5 minutes per song) and you can even queue songs that way to play sequentially.

So, like I said before, everything is in place. Save for a favorites (or star like Spotify) function to mark your favorite songs.

I use Spotify daily because I like the possibility of listening to songs I don't own. I'm frustrated that Spotify doesn't have older music from popular artists and that it is polluted by many amateur copy artists. iTunes will be better in that respect.

I'm running an iPhone 5 and it takes 30-120 seconds for my purchase list. Then it loads extremely slow while scrolling. Purchases won't even load on either of my 2 iPhone 4. The App Store crashes. (iOS 6.0.1)

I tried to hide purchases to try to help but the feature isn't working (swipe right in list to reveal hide button). I hardly ever get on iTunes on a computer. It's worth a try if you want to speed up loading of purchases though. You can always find previously purchased content searching iTunes to reload without additional cost.

I can see that that must be frustrating, but it seems like this is an isolated problem with your device. I would suggest making an appointment with a Genius Bar.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i Stream radio all the time with apps but it really sucks your battery over 3G about three hours your phone flat.If apple do make app i cannot see it been much better then any in the app store really because it would require either 3G or WIFI for it to work which requires a lot of battery.If i was to listen to the radio for about 12 hours i would have to charge my phone about four time because it sucks that much battery.

The only way that apple could make there radio app really good is to be able to listen to radio but also be able to download podcasts that you would like to listen to either free or subscription based and they would automatic download when they are available to listen to on your device and be able to listen to them at your leisure.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Seems like the best of both worlds to me. I have iTunes match and am very happy with it. Don't know why so many people knock it and praise Pandora and Spotify. For $25/ YEAR , yes YEAR not MONTH, this a good value!

:D

Sorry mate but iTunes Match is completely different from Pandora or Spotify. For $25 a year iTunes Match allows you to stream the songs you've already bought and matched / uploaded to cloud. With Spotify you can stream Spotify's library (18+ million songs) as much as you like. These services only have the word "streaming" in common. Other then that they are completely different. Regarding the value of iTunes Match, IMHO it's not there unless you have 128 Kbps songs that are matched and updated to higher bit rate. Other then that you only stream the songs you already have and own.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
The big players in on-demand subscription music

Spotify: 5 million + paying subscribers
Deezer: 3 million +
Melon: 2 million +
Rhapsody: 1 million +
Mnet: 1 million +
Muve Music: 1 million paying subscribers

Between these 6 players, there are around 13-15 million paying subscribers worldwide.

Smaller players: Sony Music Unlimited, XBOX Music, Wimp, Rdio, MOG and some others

Pandora has 1.5 million paying users who pay $36 a year according to their latest financial result. But Pandora is on-line radio, not on-demand.

XBox Music Catalogue 30 million+ tracks[2]

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
I wish they were working on something like Spotify, but I can understand why they aren't. iTunes is still the largest digital music seller by a good margin. When those download numbers start to dwindle, then you will see Apple move towards a Spotify-like service.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying out Xbox Music sometime this year. If the app for iOS is as good as Xbox SmartGlass then it has a lot of potential. I'm interested in the cloud locker that they are rolling out this year as well to supplement the streaming service.

Spotify is making some really good changes too that will be rolling out in the next few months as well. I'm currently using these guys as it is the best option at the moment.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Pandora is so outdated. Please come up with a "Spotify-like" feature. Nobody that has a subscription to Spotify will ever go back to Pandora or a Pandora-like feature offered by Apple. Am I alone on this belief?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Pandora is so outdated. Please come up with a "Spotify-like" feature. Nobody that has a subscription to Spotify will ever go back to Pandora or a Pandora-like feature offered by Apple. Am I alone on this belief?

You're not alone. I would never trade any on demand service to some Pandora like feature. There are now many great on demand services like Spotify, Rdio, MOG, Sony's Music Unlimited etc. I see no point launching some Pandora like Internet Radio service. In all honesty, every single on demand service is extremely cross platform so you can listen your tunes on variety of devices. If Apple launches a streaming service it can't be closed system if it wants to outperform others.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I can speak for it being terrible on 4. I just got a 5 and iTunes Match finally became awesome

ha! I guess it figures... however I recently updated to 6.1.2 and I still use iTunes Sync over wifi and I have noticed that my iTunes Match is working nicely. it is generally speedier, easy to move between my playlists and the genius auto-playlist.

still kinda wondering though... a song like gangnam-style which is a lot like the lmafo type songs... I would guess that these songs were purchased from iTunes that I could click the guiness button that it would create a mix on these, and nope nothing :(

on the otherhand... the google play player does mix them?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

Using Google Music in my iPhone is 10 times better! And my purchased music is always there!

----------

Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...

Well, prepared to paid for radio. This is the business everyone is after for a long time. XM was the first attempt but fail because people didn't run to buy XM compatible products to get it. Then the Howard Stern strategy work pretty well for satellite radio but it wasn't enough. Now the online radio is getting the people happy. And it's easier to hook up your phone to your old car stereo.

Radio will be thru internet instead of terrestrial signals as FM or AM in 3 years. The pioneers will make the rules in this new game and I bet Apple will be the next CBS or Clear Channel on Digital Online Radio.

Once they revolutionize The Online radio the rest will be history.

The way I see is: Google will conquer TV and Apple will conquer Radio if they play the cards smart enough. Let's see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.