Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
having been a fcp head for years, fcpx was refreshing, it looked great, felt great, that is until..

your video went past 5 minutes..

numerous glitches with plug ins, constant crashing, stupid timeline rules, so i bit the bullet and forced myself to use premiere..

best editing programme i hav used to date, dyamic link is a god send trust me!

The latest version has been stable for me and I run over 2,000 high end plug ins including Apple ones. It's great for videos an hour or longer.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
The latest version has been stable for me and I run over 2,000 high end plug ins including Apple ones. It's great for videos an hour or longer.

well its not for me, not for other people i know, therefore a majority of my populous concur that its *****.

but if its working for you then great :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
well its not for me, not for other people i know, therefore a majority of my populous concur that its *****.

but if its working for you then great :)

Sorry to hear that ... it wasn't exactly stable for me either until recent versions, running Mountain Lion too. Hope it improves for everyone in 10.1.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I agree with this and I do change and adapt to new technology quite readily. However, I would just like to remind you that you are talking about an industry that still considers AVID (a system based off reel to reel editing) the go-to standard.

Every NLE borrows from film cutting though Avid may borrow the most (because it's the oldest NLE still in common use) and X probably borrows the least (it still has a Blade tool and Trimming IIRC).

There's nothing out there currently that can touch Avid on ISIS for a multi-user, shared storage workflow that also requires final audio mixing, FX, color grading, etc., to be done out of house. Avid is still the go-to standard, in part, because nothing has been able to clearly best it (though Apple clearly had a shot if they didn't hit the reset button on FCP).

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I dont think you could possibly complain about the availability of professional effects (plugins) for Premiere, especially since they are mostly universal plugins that can be used in both Premiere and After Effects. So I don't see the effects being a viable reason to put up with the whole relearning to edit thing when first moving to FCPX. Once I started using Premiere, there was no way I could ever go back to the FCP method of import and transcode before starting my work, not to mention the countless workarounds people have mentioned here to bring back track based functionality, which obviously has been a staple of the NLE workflow for quite some time.

I will say, the background rendering is great in FCPX and the interface is nice and shiny looking. But in terms of flexibility, aftermarket support, and staying relevant to the increasingly Adobe centered professional market, Premiere is tough to beat. Except in price.

AMEN!!!

+ the cuda core support was an epic win.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I went back to 7 again.

I was hired in a company to resolve editing issues and speed up production.

They has FCP 6 and FCP X. For the work flow we needed I set up FCP 6 in a minute. To do the same thing in FCP X was impossible. I went to the One to One at the Apple Store and they helped in showing me it would take 5 times more to do the same process AND I would loose control over my data externally. FCP X puts everything together under it folder.

The editing process in FCP X takes longer than in FCP 6 and 7.

And the end I installed FCP 7 in every machine and we are all set.

Eventually we will move to Premiere or Avid, but no FCP X.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
You have your reason why you think FCP7 is better. I worked with FCP7 and believe me it was a hell of a learning curve. But FCP-X is a breeze. But reading all these post one could debate all day on this software.
In general what ever you are happy with, "GO FOR IT";)

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005

They has FCP 6 and FCP X. For the work flow we needed I set up FCP 6 in a minute. To do the same thing in FCP X was impossible. I went to the One to One at the Apple Store and they helped in showing me it would take 5 times more to do the same process AND I would loose control over my data externally. FCP X puts everything together under it folder.

I'd be curious to see what you were trying to do. I have my doubts that most people in the apple store know the ins and outs of an editing program. You don't 'have to' have your files where FCPX chooses by default. I've got mine on externals and and networks drives.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I'd be curious to see what you were trying to do. I have my doubts that most people in the apple store know the ins and outs of an editing program. You don't 'have to' have your files where FCPX chooses by default. I've got mine on externals and and networks drives.

Yeah, I asked the kid how FCPX worked with Compressor and he didn't have a clue.

Any way... I am doing my stuff in Final Cut 7 for now.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You found the wrong "expert". I'd go back to the store and ask to talk to some other person one on one. If he told you that you have no control over where files go that is a big tip off that he did not know what he was talking about. Files go where ever you like and in as many different places as you like. They can even be scattered over many drives

So many people say "this sucks because I don't know how to use it."

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010

They has FCP 6 and FCP X. For the work flow we needed I set up FCP 6 in a minute. To do the same thing in FCP X was impossible.

You sound like you tried to use the same workflow on X as you would in 7.

Why would someone do that? :confused:

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Coming for the Avid side of things, it was easy to understand the FCPX data base workflow.
You can at least tell FCPX where to save your data.
Avid forces you to stay at top root and is a pain to move around.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
You sound like you tried to use the same workflow on X as you would in 7.

Why would someone do that? :confused:

Because it works in FCP 7.

Now.. our problem was basically batch rendering in mpeg and we have found a work around that.

Send every sequence to Compressor 3. Once you have (like we do) 50 or so sequences in Compressor 3, save the document.

Open that Compressor 3 document in Compressor 4 and vualá! now you can batch render Final Cut Pro 7 sequences into Compressor 4 without having to pre render in .mov first.

We are getting episodes of 45 minutes rendered in 15 minutes from FCP 7 Apple Pro Res HQ 720 x 480 to MPEG2 in an iMac.

That is good.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
For those that prefer a slower pace, thankfully Apple has left Final Cut 7's -32 bit application in tact for you.

Then for the other people that like to work at a faster pace in a -64 bit application, then FCPX is there for the rest of us.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
For those that prefer a slower pace, thankfully Apple has left Final Cut 7's -32 bit application in tact for you.

Then for the other people that like to work at a faster pace in a -64 bit application, then FCPX is there for the rest of us.

Juvenile comments like this remind me what Apple's true target is for FCP now. The 'faster is better' crowd. I'd love to see with a real show under a real deadline. 64-bit ain't gonna save you then.

Premiere gets my vote. The latest version is a dream to use. My only worry is that Adobe, like Apple, will get bored before long and abandon users.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Juvenile to a point yes, but it's a valid observation for many tasks.

I send a couple dozen projects to get exported in Final Cut X to a compressor preset within X itself and it takes care of it in the background while I keep cutting. (You don't even need to launch compressor if you don't want to...) Each one queued up as a background process. In fact, the entire process of exporting, let's say 10 projects, shouldn't take more than a minute, tops to add them all to the background processing. All the while, I just keep cutting, all in program.

BONUS: FCP X uses all my processors for exporting.

As for 'faster is better,' that's a pretty big one in the world of editing video. Maybe not the only consideration, but shoot man, it's gotta be up there.

Last edited:

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
I'd love to see with a real show under a real deadline. 64-bit ain't gonna save you then.

.... real shows... under a real deadline... yep, the shows that you would know on 2 different networks that I work on are a breeze with FCPX. Luckily my group's boss does not care about the platform used, he is only concerned with the deliverables.

Here is the truly juvenile thing here, all of us that moved on to FCPX usually can leave on time to go home, goof off or go to happy hour and act juvenile, while the one guy left that still uses FCP 7 does not even typically leave to go home till 8 or 8:30pm because he has to dilly dally so long with waiting for stuff to render and other clumsy hang ups with 7, yet he digs using it and dooes not have an active life outside of work, so FCP 7 is perfect for him. All of us are salary, so the sooner we can leave each day while keeping our boss happy is a great thing for us.

But hey... to each his own. Glad that Premiere is the tool that gets you the results you need.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Juvenile comments like this remind me what Apple's true target is for FCP now. The 'faster is better' crowd. I'd love to see with a real show under a real deadline. 64-bit ain't gonna save you then.

Premiere gets my vote. The latest version is a dream to use. My only worry is that Adobe, like Apple, will get bored before long and abandon users.

I don't see Adobe pulling an Apple anytime soon. Even Photoshop has a much longer lifespan than FCP and Adobe has only made that cash cow better and better with each major update.

The rumor mill is churning about a partnership between Adobe and Facillis in an attempt to move post houses with a smaller budget or looking to upgrade over to an end-to-end collaborative system like the Avid ISIS and . . . . everything else Avid.

Adobe is definitely taking Apple town on it's mistake, and picking up users that don't have the budget, time, or desire for Avid, but need a more high end editing system with seamless "round-tripping" which Apple never got right.

As LethalWolfe said, things will change, so we may yet see Adobe being taken over by another competitor, or maybe even a true competitor for Avid one day. Apple came SO VERY CLOSE with FCP Server and the XServe RAIDs, but just through in the towel.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Comparing Adobe and Apple in software is safe but please they are not the same kind of company.
Apple has always been about offering a little something something to drive people to their main offerings.

I can be called a fan boy but Im comfortable with that since I use all platforms with a variety of software options.

Love Adobe products and same with Apple.

Support them all I say :)

P.s. I teach both Premiere Pro, Avid and FCP/FCPX as far as NLE goes.
To date I noticed that FCPX users are more positive and love the gotchas thrown at them :)

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

French TV series "Lazy company"

USA TV Series "Leverage"

Hong Kong Film movie Series "Young Detective Lee"

Germany TV series "Danni Lowinski"

USA TV Series "George to the rescue"

Note: This Emmy award winning TV series (George to the Rescue) uses Final Cut Pro X for nearly every aspect of video production from audio to colorizing. They also don't use the multi-cam feature either. The lead editor prefers his editors to do it the old fashioned way. He says it will not be as acurate as doing it by hand.

Last edited:

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I have also tried using FCX. It's fine for small commercials without VFX, and for 2-3 minute corporate jobs and web videos.

To be honest it really doesn't matter what you use, as long as it works for you.

What most people don't understand is that you don't have to lock yourself into one piece of software. Just like a DP will choose the right camera for the job, you can choose the right edit software for the job as well.

I prefer to use Avid for cutting drama. It's stable, it works with every post-house system for effects, grading and sound. Plus, there is a lot more structure to drama so you can usually organise things better in the timeline.
It handles RED and Alexa footage well.

For Music Videos I prefer FCP7. I often have 100 tracks of performance that all need to be synced to the music, and stay in sync. I can layer the tracks by chorus/verse, or by location and then cut the bits I need. A lot of people look at my timelines and freak out, but it's organised and I can cut quickly - pumping out a finished edit for online in 2-3 days. I transcode the RED rushes to SD prores first (usually on-set) because no editing software can handle that much data. It's impossible to edit like this on FCX, and a lot of the tools like auditioning etc, make it hard to keep sync. I also don't want the footage to "disappear" so I can focus on the edit. I want to know exactly where each clip is and what it contains so I can use it where and when I like. I can only have that on a track based editor.

For commercials and corporates, I use FCP7 or sometimes Premiere (If I'm dealing with clients that have existing data on windows drives etc.) I personally hate Premiere, but other people swear by it. It has a lot of good tools like dynamic linking and integration with AE/PS, but I find the shortcuts clunky and generally I prefer FCP7. I've played around with FCX on these and it's ok, but I am just faster on a track based editor. FCX is good for color matching and sound tweaks.

Personally, I'm looking at Lightworks as my next tool. It's really only on windows right now and I'm not ready to jump ship from Mac entirely. The best thing about it is that it's the same on Windows, Mac and Linux... and it's completely free (or $60 a year for the pro version). I'm hoping there is at least a Beta version for mac by the end of the year to have a play with.

But a good editor isn't a software operator. Editing is a skill, and part of that skill base requires knowledge of multiple tools and choosing the best one for the job at hand.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
French TV series "Lazy company"

USA TV Series "Leverage"

Hong Kong Film movie Series "Young Detective Lee"

Germany TV series "Danni Lowinski"

USA TV Series "George to the rescue"

Note: This Emmy award winning TV series (George to the Rescue) uses Final Cut Pro X for nearly every aspect of video production from audio to colorizing. They also don't use the multi-cam feature either. The lead editor prefers his editors to do it the old fashioned way. He says it will not be as acurate as doing it by hand.

While I agree that it doesn't matter which NLE a production finishes in, I'd have to call the lead editor crazy if they opt not to use multicam, and instead want to layer each vid track and splice and delete. That's not old fashion, since multicam has been around for almost 20 years or more.

Last edited:

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
Thanks for these tips! I'll definitely be trying the gap clip thing ASAP.

----------

Hmm. I've never edited with Premiere, but I keep hearing good things about it. I also havent done a video past 5 minutes in FCP X so I'll try one to see if I get the same issues.

I love the plugins offered in FCP X, but it's the timeline and the way the overall aesthetics that make it hard to get to that point. For now I've been doing what some might call tedious and just laying out everything quickly and efficiently in FCP 7 and then just using 7toX to add the effects and finishing touches in FCPX. This feels somewhat counter productive, but not nearly as bad as using FCPX solo. I would like a better way soon though.

Premiere is like UNIX. It's not too user friendly at first, but once you learn it can do amazing things.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I found FCP X to be about 1000x easier to access features vs FCP 7....only issues I had were with the first releases prior to 10.0.6. The scratch drive issue isn't even an issue its like an automatic thing for me...the interface is so visually orientated vs FCP 7...FCP 7 looks like some ancient list of prompts while FCP X is actually visually friendly...pretty controversal topic but I think people need to use FCP X without LOOKING for issues and trying to use it like an old outdated NLE. Of course if you still can't take it Premiere Pro is awesome too.

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
I learned 7 and liked it but final cut pro x runs rings around it for me personally. I do however enjoy the UI of 7 more than X and I am not sure why. Maybe I just feel like more of a pro instead of a hobbyist in 7 than I do in X lol. I doubt I would ever install 7 on my home machine though. Too hard to have 24GB of ram and not be using it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.