Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It is not intended to "last forever," but you are supposed to completely "remove" the system from iCloud/Find My Mac before disposing of it. As you discovered, simply re-installing the OS doesn't do it.

Sadly, I think the only way to reliably fix it would be for you (mentaluproar) to be on the system (via "GoToMyPC" or similar,) log in to iCloud on it, enable "Find My Mac," then disable it and log back out.

Apple makes it clear on iDevices that you need to disable iCloud/Find My iPhone before transferring the device, but isn't so obvious with Macs.

CoCoJoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2019
It is not intended to "last forever," but you are supposed to completely "remove" the system from iCloud/Find My Mac before disposing of it. As you discovered, simply re-installing the OS doesn't do it.

Sadly, I think the only way to reliably fix it would be for you (mentaluproar) to be on the system (via "GoToMyPC" or similar,) log in to iCloud on it, enable "Find My Mac," then disable it and log back out.

Apple makes it clear on iDevices that you need to disable iCloud/Find My iPhone before transferring the device, but isn't so obvious with Macs.
[doublepost=1552673149][/doublepost]Same happened to me, even though I physically removed both the memory and all the other personal insides of my computer before passing it on. It had exploded and I passed it on to a friend at work for parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.