Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have boxes to external enclosures for hard drives, & some of the enclosure models I have are no obsolete.

My space is limited, and my shelf is getting a bit crowded, I like to keep boxes/packaging for my bigger ticket items like my mac mini, but I am not sure what to do with boxes for other items like the box to my m rainstand laptop holder, and the boxes to my macally, OWC, and icydock enclosures.

Just getting some input as to what others do with stuff like this.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I have boxes to external enclosures for hard drives, & some of the enclosure models I have are no obsolete.

My space is limited, and my shelf is getting a bit crowded, I like to keep boxes/packaging for my bigger ticket items like my mac mini, but I am not sure what to do with boxes for other items like the box to my m rainstand laptop holder, and the boxes to my macally, OWC, and icydock enclosures.

Just getting some input as to what others do with stuff like this.

If I know for sure something is working fine and don't anticipate damage I toss boxes. Things like drives and more expensive things I hold onto and I generally sell stuff like that on ebay when upgrading. Or at least hang onto for a year through warranty period.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I take a similar approach....I keep the packaging for all my Macs...the original boxes for shipping post sale. I hold on to peripheral boxes for a month or so, then they go in the trash....if I kept them all I'd be knee deep in cardboard. The only exception is the original box for my R4 which I've kept also for shipping.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
As above - I try to keep the boxes through the warranty period for peripherals and such in case I need to ship them back. For things I think will net some bucks upon resale and that I might have to ship - like old Macs - I'll keep the box. For big stuff that have big boxes (like HT subwoofer) I'd plan on selling only locally later - I toss the box after warranty expires.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
For inexpensive and expendable things, I only keep the boxes through the warranty period. But for items I may want to resell later, keeping the original shipping box is a big plus. I've had a fair amount of experience selling used test equipment from my electronics lab as well as used Apple products, and having the original box and documentation will pay big benefits in terms of ease of sale and the sales price.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I only keep a box if I think I will sell the item in the future otherwise they get tossed once I know I won't get buyer's remorse.

tangfj

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
I keep boxes for anything that I think will have some sort of resale value and if the box is worth keeping as I tend to sell stuff about every year or two as I get new things... I find that the original packaging adds some level of attraction for potential buyers and it provides some level of protection for shipping purposes when put inside another cardboard box. I throw away any plastic packaging that you basically have to tear open to get the product out like many logitech mice and other things.

whosnut

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Riverside, CA
I keep boxes for things I'll be able to resell later. Other boxes I keep until I've used it long enough that I won't be returning it. I put smaller boxes into the larger ones as much as I can to save room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.