Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcott948

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Ok, so I am shopping around for used iMac systems. I have found some in my price range ($300-400). The following is what I found:

1 GB 17" with Core Duo 2
2 GB 17" with Core Duo 2
512 MB (up to 2 GB) 20" with Core Duo

First of all, can ArcGIS run on a Mac (I'm new to what Mac can and can't run)? Second, if it can, what do I need as far as software to run and how much would it cost me (besides the actual ArcGIS license)? I've heard that I need Windows XP to run it?

I've used PC's for pretty much everything, but have enjoyed Mac image quality and no need for virus software, plus I really like its user-style.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
instead of buying one of those old duo systems you should shoot for the mac mini. can you scrounge up a monitor? the baseline 2012 mini has duel core i5 and can be had under 500 from the refurbished store. the system would be alot newer and you could do alot more to upgrade it when you have money down the road.
apple refurbished are really good. they also have a 1 year warranty.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Get a Mac Mini. And if you're coming from PC, I'm sure you still have display, keyboard and monitor you can still use.

It's a better deal compared to the used iMac.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
It is....

my understanding you can use ArcGIS via Bootcamp or a virtual machine (Parallels or VM). About the options you can have, I agree in the suggestion that you can be best served with a Mac mini. But I suggest you to search some with dedicated graphics. It can helps in renders or heavy-medium graphics. Still, the iMac can be useful, but no too future-proofed....

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.