Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 12, 2014, 02:54 PM   #101
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafRaiders View Post
Current I have used 483.11 GB of 1TB with approx 600 TB left over. I have 2x1TB External drives, and a 3TB, Could i tell which folders i want it to backup all i need is the main folders i use like Movie, Docs and Photos but if the computer goes errors i may have to restore back and i don't really want to spend a whole day installing all my apps again.
Yeah... that's going to be too much to fit on two partitions (one a clone and the other TM) on one disk. I would just use one of your 1TB disks for the clone and another for the TM backup. That would give you plenty of room for now.

I would not try to exclude anything from the backup to save space. Like you mentioned, that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to use the drive to restore from.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 03:04 AM   #102
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Yeah... that's going to be too much to fit on two partitions (one a clone and the other TM) on one disk. I would just use one of your 1TB disks for the clone and another for the TM backup. That would give you plenty of room for now.

I would not try to exclude anything from the backup to save space. Like you mentioned, that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to use the drive to restore from.
Ok I've clone my HDD with CCC which only backed up roughly 453GB which the Macintosh HD is roughly the same. Which i've ran myself into another problem i used one of the External HDD and which had some stuff on it that i wanted to keep i forgotten to check before i formatted it and it wiped the whole lot Any chance of a recover the partition before i formatted it. I have personal photos that mean so much to me
Old May 14, 2014, 08:07 AM   #103
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafRaiders View Post
Ok I've clone my HDD with CCC which only backed up roughly 453GB which the Macintosh HD is roughly the same. Which i've ran myself into another problem i used one of the External HDD and which had some stuff on it that i wanted to keep i forgotten to check before i formatted it and it wiped the whole lot Any chance of a recover the partition before i formatted it. I have personal photos that mean so much to me
You can try software like Disk Warrior to try and recovery the files. Or if it is really important there are companies that you can pay to try and restore your data, but it is not cheap.

There is no easy way in OS X to undo it though.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 09:19 AM   #104
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Quote:
You can try software like Disk Warrior to try and recovery the files. Or if it is really important there are companies that you can pay to try and restore your data, but it is not cheap.

There is no easy way in OS X to undo it though.
I have borrowed my cousin's Disk Warrior (even thought he never used/open the package yet) and installed it how do i recover it any tutorial?
Old May 14, 2014, 05:00 PM   #105
Bob-o-Link
macrumors newbie

My quote: "P.S. BTW, is there a way to "see" the recovery partition on a drive without rebooting? This would make checking if it's there a lot easier."

Quote:
Yes... enter "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and it will list all the partitions, including the hidden 650MB Recovery HD partition.
Thanks for the tip about "diskutil list". That made testing a lot easier. I couldn't get Create-Recovery-Partition-Installer to work so I reinstalled Mountain Lion - it was easy! I'm used to doing clean installs which are much more fuss. I now have a recovery partition on my main internal drive.

Anyway, to answer my original question about whether the *free* version of CCC (3.4.7) will clone the recovery partition in Mountain Lion, I can say definitively: yes!

It worked like a charm. It poped up a window asking if I wanted to clear about 1 GB of space on the target drive to create the new partition - this is because I had already cloned to this drive before I had a recovery partition on my main drive; I was now updating that clone but adding the recovery partition.

-Bob

Last edited by Bob-o-Link; May 14, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Bob-o-Link is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:19 PM   #106
virtualbartek
macrumors newbie

Cloud Backup

There seems to be agreement that we should use Time Machine and make a clone with CCC, SD, or DU but not many people mention off site backups.

One person asked about where a good place would be for off site backups. Cloud backup solutions are not expensive at all anymore. I pay $100 a year for unlimited storage, unlimited machines including gadgets and whatnot, for a single user. That's with Spider Oak whose main selling point is their security features where everything is encrypted on the user end and they don't even know your password. That's nice but I don't care. I like that their backups are 'versioned' so uploads are quick and you have potentially unlimited history....which includes a 'trash'. As long as you don't empty the trash in their app, anything you have ever deleted on your computer will be there backed up for you in a trash folder. There's other cloud backups that are good, but after switching to Spider Oak from a bad one (Just Cloud), I feel like bragging about it.

So I have incremental backups to an external, non-bus powered drive with two particians and to the cloud. All three backups are versioned, one I can boot from, one I can easily grab a versioned file from within seconds, and one is offsite (on the other side of the planet). Unless the Earth is completely destroyed, my backup scenario should be good enough. Maybe someone should start a cloud backup company with servers on the moon?
virtualbartek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:52 PM   #107
dimme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbartek View Post
There seems to be agreement that we should use Time Machine and make a clone with CCC, SD, or DU but not many people mention off site backups.

One person asked about where a good place would be for off site backups. Cloud backup solutions are not expensive at all anymore. I pay $100 a year for unlimited storage, unlimited machines including gadgets and whatnot, for a single user. That's with Spider Oak whose main selling point is their security features where everything is encrypted on the user end and they don't even know your password. That's nice but I don't care. I like that their backups are 'versioned' so uploads are quick and you have potentially unlimited history....which includes a 'trash'. As long as you don't empty the trash in their app, anything you have ever deleted on your computer will be there backed up for you in a trash folder. There's other cloud backups that are good, but after switching to Spider Oak from a bad one (Just Cloud), I feel like bragging about it.

So I have incremental backups to an external, non-bus powered drive with two particians and to the cloud. All three backups are versioned, one I can boot from, one I can easily grab a versioned file from within seconds, and one is offsite (on the other side of the planet). Unless the Earth is completely destroyed, my backup scenario should be good enough. Maybe someone should start a cloud backup company with servers on the moon?
I agree off site needs to be a part of any backup plan. I my self use crashplan and I am very happy with their service.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store