Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dondon4720

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
i have an old powermac G3 B&W and have turned it into a home server. at one point in its life someone upgraded the processor to a 500mhz powerpc g4 it runs very smooth and have had no problems with it, it also has 384 mb of ram (plan on upgrading it to 1GB). my question is is there any software like Orb, (able to access video, music, and documents from the web from my server) that is compatible with 10.4 tiger and Power Pc . i am going away from college and don't want to bring my DVD collection with me.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks
dondon4720

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tiger has Personal File Sharing under the Sharing preference pane to run an AFP network. This is what I use over a local network, but there's a HowTo on connecting remotely on this page. From then on, you can mount network shares in your Finder just like any other hard drive.

I've never tried streaming over a remote AFP connection, but I imagine you'd have to enable/increase the cache on whatever media player you're playing back with.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I use Apple Remote Desktop to manage a Tiger G4 or two from my G5 tower... doesn't support ARD 3.x but that doesn't matter, my G5 can control awesome CPU-crunching MBPs and stuff

dondon4720

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
my other thought was to buy a old intel based mac (hopefully under 150 dollars) that runs Leopard and make a server from that, or i could make a windows based machine and run OSX on virtual box and make a virtual server (if anyone has tried this it would be great to know if it works)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.