Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Okay... So here's the situation: my boss' iPhone 4 was stolen and he needed to replace his iPhone right away. Since iPhone 5 was sold out everywhere, I picked up an iPhone 4S for him in the meantime from the Apple Store while we searched LA for an iPhone 5. Finally, three weeks later, we've tracked down an apple store in the Los Angeles area that will have stock tomorrow morning for the swap.

Now my question is about the Verizon account itself. In order to keep his unlimited service, we opened a new line on his Verizon account to get the 4S then I swapped the unlimited line attached to the stolen 4 and activated the new 4S on the unlimited line, switching the newly opened line to the stolen iPhone 4, then deactivated that line, while choosing to keep paying for it thereby keeping it open until we could find a 5. Now that I have found the 5, what are the steps I need to do tomorrow to ensure that the unlimited account currently active on the 4S is transferred to the new 5? Do I need to temporarily reactivate the new line attached to the 4 so the swap can go through... or will they simply transfer the unlimited line from the active 4S To the 5? I'm fully aware that regardless of anything I'll have to cancel the new line and pay the cancellation fees and all that, effectively buying the phone at full price. I just want to make sure that all steps I do tomorrow will be in line with keeping the unlimited data line upon transfer to the 5. At all costs this is the most important thing.

I think I've covered all my bases but anyone with experience in this area I could really use the help. This whole thing has been truly a nightmare and I really want it to be over for my boss!!!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
return the phone tomorrow and pay the money to get the 5. Tell them to activate it on the unlimited data line. Problem solved. Unless you paid subsidized price for it, you have to pay full price unless you're on AT&T, which you aren't.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
return the phone tomorrow and pay the money to get the 5. Tell them to activate it on the unlimited data line. Problem solved. Unless you paid subsidized price for it, you have to pay full price unless you're on AT&T, which you aren't.

I know I'm going to have to pay the full price, but tomorrow I'll just need to pay the difference, correct?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I know I'm going to have to pay the full price, but tomorrow I'll just need to pay the difference, correct?

Well that's not exactly how it works, you get a full refund but who knows when it'll get credited back, so you would be short another $700. Is your boss paying you for this?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Well that's not exactly how it works, you get a full refund but who knows when it'll get credited back, so you would be short another $700. Is your boss paying you for this?

No I'm doing it with him tomorrow. I just mean since we're basically returning the iPhone 4S... swapping it for the 5 which they'll have in the morning... he'll have to pay the $100 difference for the 5 tomorrow correct? And they'll activate the 5 on the line that the 4S in currently active on?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No I'm doing it with him tomorrow. I just mean since we're basically returning the iPhone 4S... swapping it for the 5 which they'll have in the morning... he'll have to pay the $100 difference for the 5 tomorrow correct? And they'll activate the 5 on the line that the 4S in currently active on?

it doesn't work like that I think, if you return it the money will get credited back, if you paid cash then yeah you can just pay the $100 since they will just put it on store credit but if you used a credit card the $600 might not show up for a while.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
We hastily opened another line when we got the 4S so we could keep the unlimited. Then switched the 4S to the old unlimited line. So paid $100 plus $50 tax for a subsidied iPhone 4S. as hes switching the 4S for the 5, he should just pay the $200 subsidy for the 5, get the $100 credited back, but still be able to activate on the line the 4S is currently active on, the unlimited right?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Just wanted to report that all went well and my boss is now on a brand new iPhone 5 with unlimited 4G LTE! Thanks everyone!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.