Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble setting up WDS for my complex.

I have a Linksys (Router1 aka R1) using DD-WRT and having trouble using my MediaLink N router (Router2 aka R2) to work properly.

On R1, I have enabled WDS, inputted R2's MAC and turned on Lazy Mode. On the wireless status page, it shows R2 utilizing WDS.

On R2, I have turned off security functions, disabled DHCP, put it in Repeater mode, put in R1's wifi MAC and attached it to R1's wifi.

However, when I connect to R2's wifi, I get the non-routable IP (169.x.y.z.) with no default gateway or DNS.

Any help to make this work is appreciated!

kweevuss

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Did to you try to put in a static IP on the machine your trying to connect to R2 just to see if it will forward packets?

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I gave up. After more research, it appears that WDS is a tricky config that doesn't always work, especially if the routers' chipsets are different. I opted to return it and get one of those power-brick styled repeaters.

----------

I didn't want R1 and R2 to be wired. The whole pt of R2 was to expand R1's wifi coverage.

After tinkering, I got R1 to see R2. R2 was able to see devices trying to connect to it, but it wasn't able to ask R1 to provide it any IP info to pass onto the devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.