Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
HELLO!

I have hooked up the server at our new 3 person studio. In general, typically, it works just fine. 3 mac's accessing a Mac Mini Server OSX 10.6.8 through ethernet. I am having some problems however creep up again and again...

These problems in general are:
-File Permissions on server are inconsistent and changeable.

-Conflicting IP address arise from time to time.

How to diagnose??? PLEASE ADVICE BRILLIANT MAC PEEPS!

Background:
-3 macs running SL to ML, connected to the server via ethernet
-Mac Mini running OSX server 10.6.8, recently updated with a sata connection to a g-drive raid 5 hd
-airport time capsule for occasional wifi connections and time machine support for the server
-verizon router for internet

I connected everything together using a somewhat convoluted system... Perhaps the problem lies there:

-The internet goes from the verizon router to the time capsule to the server
-the three macs go to the extra ethernet ports in the back of the verizon router as well as the time capsule

It all usually works... HOW DO I BEGIN DIAGNOSING MY PERSISTENT YET INCONSISTENT PROBLEMS WITH THIS WACKY SERVER SETUP?

thanks so much,

Richard

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Make sure only one of your devices is handing out IPs via DHCP. Either the Server, router, or TC... Not all of them.

I'd prefer the router but, either will work.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
as mwhities said, I would start with checking if you have DHCP enabled on your Server then turn it off on your Time Capsule or vice versa. You only need 1 device handling DHCP services on the network.

You can also set static IP address on the hardwired Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.