Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
So I have an 5S. I proceeded to download 7.02 OTA. Upon going through the download after about 10 minutes the phone froze up and then went into recovery mode. I connected the phone to my MacBook and had to restore the phone. Restored the phone and then it went to the hello/hola etc screen. Upon going through the welcome steps and signing into my iCloud account the phone then asked me if i'd like to restore from a backup. At this point despite being logged into MY iCloud the phone prompted me to log into strangers email accounts; in fact every time I said skip its step another persons email account would pop up. After the fourth persons email account was skipped I was able to gain access to my home screen. When in the App or iTunes Store the phone continued to ask me to log into strangers email accounts. I restored the phone and it has continued to happen. I've "skipped the step" multiple times and it seems to be ok now. I've called apple and they have no clue. In fact they even confirmed those accounts are valid iCloud accounts(none of these people are in my contacts). Their only question was where did I get my music from? I've been downloading music legally and illegally for 15 years and that's never happened. I've been a iPhone owner from day 1 and have had every model. Seems like a weird security issue to me.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So I have an 5S. I proceeded to download 7.02 OTA. Upon going through the download after about 10 minutes the phone froze up and then went into recovery mode.

It's likely you just mistook the normal update procedure for recovery mode. First the update downloads, then the phone reboots (I think twice) while the update installs. It is important to wait until it's all complete. You probably messed it up when you plugged it into your MacBook and tried to restore.

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I'd say report it, but unless it impacts billing they probably won't do anything about it

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
The phone sat there in recovery mode for about 10minutes with the iTunes & plug logo on screen, before I decided to take charge. It froze. Also still doesn't explain the random emails. The phone freezing is whatever to me. The issue is I shouldn't be shown & asked to log into strangers iCloud accounts.

I reported it and they're supposed to call me back again today to follow up.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Was this update not suppose to fix security problems. I have a password lock on my phone and from the lock screen I can swipe up and operate all of the controls eg aircraft mode, wifi on/off, Camera, bluetooth etc etc.

Some fix.

I powered on and off the phone just to make sure it was not temporary and it is still there.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Was this update not suppose to fix security problems. I have a password lock on my phone and from the lock screen I can swipe up and operate all of the controls eg aircraft mode, wifi on/off, Camera, bluetooth etc etc.

Some fix.

I powered on and off the phone just to make sure it was not temporary and it is still there.

You can adjust the control panel so that it isn't accessible from the lock screen. Go into the settings and then select control panel. You'll see the settings there.

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
The thing with the strange email accounts you got probably happened because you downloaded some "Cracked Apps" from installous or Zeusmos, and the accounts for these apps carried over with your backup. Just ignore them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Some fix.

Send feedback to apple. They don't see control center as a security hole. While I don't either, I can understand why someone may not want others having access to such controls.

You can disable Siri, and a few other items.
You can adjust the control panel so that it isn't accessible from the lock screen. Go into the settings and then select control panel. You'll see the settings there.

Totally forgot about that.

FWIW they should have included those settings under the passcode lock portion, where other lock screen settings are located, that or create a shortcut to them.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Send feedback to apple. They don't see control center as a security hole. While I don't either, I can understand why someone may not want others having access to such controls.

You can make it so that the control panel isn't accessible from the lock screen. No need to bother Apple, just fix it yourself in 2 mins.
It is convenient to be able to access the torch from the lock screen but I cannot see the requirement for any of the other control panel functions.

----------

Totally forgot about that.

FWIW they should have included those settings under the passcode lock portion, where other lock screen settings are located, that or create a shortcut to them.

True. Quite a few settings are 'hidden' or in non-obvious places which is surprising given Apple's claim to be user friendly.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You can make it so that the control panel isn't accessible from the lock screen. No need to bother Apple, just fix it yourself in 2 mins.
It is convenient to be able to access the torch from the lock screen but I cannot see the requirement for any of the other control panel functions.

See my edited post above ;)

:::EDIT:: bah! You did. Need more coffee this morning over here ;)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Thanks was not aware of that. Interesting that they chose to make than an option there is so much you can do from the control panel.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This happened to me during the beta process. What I ended up doing was looking at my apple ID online and re-setting the backup/recovery address just to make sure there was no confusion there. In my case the apple ID that was showing up during the restore process was an old email address that was never associated with my apple ID, so I have no idea where it came from. Anyway, after cleaning up the info tied to my apple ID I haven't had any issues.

Mr.Chow

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Austria
Music?! possible.

Whenever I put music, which is related to one of my other itunes accounts, on my phone and I restore from a iCloud backup, I do get this issue. Way out? Settings-iCloud-backup and storrage-stop restoring. ;)

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
The thing with the strange email accounts you got probably happened because you downloaded some "Cracked Apps" from installous or Zeusmos, and the accounts for these apps carried over with your backup. Just ignore them.

I don't have any cracked apps on my phone. I've never had them plus this backup was a backup from the new 5s after it was set up as a new iPhone. That back up had one day of data in it

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Music?! possible.

Whenever I put music, which is related to one of my other itunes accounts, on my phone and I restore from a iCloud backup, I do get this issue. Way out? Settings-iCloud-backup and storrage-stop restoring. ;)

What I was thinking as well. iTunes has always complained if you got songs from another users acct (the old protected ones) and asked you to log into that users acct to be able to access. You used to be able to log on as that user then sync to the iPod and the iPod would always play them but not iTunes if you logged out of that user. I bet that has been carried over to the iPhone now.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
So I have an 5S. I proceeded to download 7.02 OTA. Upon going through the download after about 10 minutes the phone froze up and then went into recovery mode. I connected the phone to my MacBook and had to restore the phone. Restored the phone and then it went to the hello/hola etc screen. Upon going through the welcome steps and signing into my iCloud account the phone then asked me if i'd like to restore from a backup. At this point despite being logged into MY iCloud the phone prompted me to log into strangers email accounts; in fact every time I said skip its step another persons email account would pop up. After the fourth persons email account was skipped I was able to gain access to my home screen. When in the App or iTunes Store the phone continued to ask me to log into strangers email accounts. I restored the phone and it has continued to happen. I've "skipped the step" multiple times and it seems to be ok now. I've called apple and they have no clue. In fact they even confirmed those accounts are valid iCloud accounts(none of these people are in my contacts). Their only question was where did I get my music from? I've been downloading music legally and illegally for 15 years and that's never happened. I've been a iPhone owner from day 1 and have had every model. Seems like a weird security issue to me.

It's nothing to do with music. It's the Apps. If you have the apps on your computer in iTunes, go to get info, then look at the accounts for the apps. If any of them are not your account you will get this happen with an iCloud restore. Happens to me if I mix my UK bought and US bought apps on my phone and try to use an iCloud backup to restore.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I don't have any cracked apps on my phone. I've never had them plus this backup was a backup from the new 5s after it was set up as a new iPhone. That back up had one day of data in it
I would try putting your iPhone in DFU mode, then do a fresh restore via iTunes (hooked up to your computer via USB)...be sure you have iTunes 11.1 first, downloaded and installed, computer restarted after this install. I would not use your backup, if you can live without your texts and such, it would be best. (copy photos to your computer before doing this). Restore the iPhone and set it up as a new phone. This should wipe all that crap out. If not, call Apple again.

I had a problem with my iPhone 5...was installing the iOS 7 GM (using DFU mode)...it installed ok, supposedly, but, while it would connect to my wifi, it could not connect to internet. I put the phone in DFU mode and tried again and, on the second attempt, all went fine. ...it was very strange that it would connect to wifi but couldn't connect to internet. I did nothing to with the router or anything else, as everything else was working fine with it.

DFU mode instructions (copied):

- Open iTunes and connect your device to your system.
- Press and hold the "Home" button and the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button at the same time.
- Exactly after 10 seconds release the "Sleep/Wake/Power" button but continue holding the "Home" button until iTunes pops up a message informing you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Your screen should be blank and not show connect to iTunes. (It may take more than one attempt to get in this mode.)

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Urghhhhhh. Updated my iPhone 5s to 7.0.2. Initial panic as none of the 3rd party apps would run. They all crashed after the splash. Only Apples own apps ran. Rebooted again and now all is well. No idea whether this was a 7.0.2 issue or a 7.x issue with OTA updates. Didn't happen what I updated in 7.0.1. Hope it doesn't happen again.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Urghhhhhh. Updated my iPhone 5s to 7.0.2. Initial panic as none of the 3rd party apps would run. They all crashed after the splash. Only Apples own apps ran. Rebooted again and now all is well. No idea whether this was a 7.0.2 issue or a 7.x issue with OTA updates. Didn't happen what I updated in 7.0.1. Hope it doesn't happen again.
This solves many issues. ...This should be done after any firmware (iOS) update. Or "major" issues. I also do it after installing/updating apps.

...when is the last time you (whomever you are reading this) gave your iphone a power cycle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.