Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Every now and then I get the urge to fire up No One Lives Forever 2. Having lost my copy a long time ago, I need to re-acquire the game. While I know there was a Mac port, I'm having a hard time finding out if there ever was a universal binary released for it.

As such, would it be better to buy the Windows version of the game and try to run it under Crossover, leaving my Boot Camp installation as a fallback? Or do I take a chance with purchasing the Mac version of the game? The Mac port is a bit more expensive, but if there's a greater chance that it will work on a reasonably current system, I'll go that route.

MichalM.Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2006
There is NO universal binary for NOLF2. Game was ported by MacPlay. They stopped porting games (and providing support for them) before Intel era.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Looks like Windows it is then. I've seen conflicting information about getting the Mac port to run correctly on an Intel system. Wine/Crossover is the way to go about getting it to run on OS X, at least at first. The ability to fall back to Windows will help in the event I can't get it running properly in a virtual environment.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
On the upside it plays great on a netbook. Yeah, not much of an upside :( Sad that such a great game has been left to rot ... hope GoG picks it up and brings it to Mac as well!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Argg!! all this talk is making me want to dig out the old game and see if it plays on my powerbook with 10.5. I know it ran fine under Tiger.

This was one video game that I thought could have been made into a movie. Actually, I wish it was made into a movie.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I picked up both NOLF games used on Amazon not too long ago and stashed them for now. They were important titles missing from the collection! I would be happy to purchase them again with extras from GOG if they manage to get them in the future. Them being on discs isn't too much of a problem though even so. Whenever I get my next iMac I almost certainly will want to buy a superdrive too for video DVD watching, CD ripping and a few game installs too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Contract Jack too on GOG.

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Both NOLF games were fantastic ten years ago (has it really been that long) when they came out. They have a strong, believable protagonist, intricate level design and riotously funny, whimsical enemies.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
This game was so fun when I played it back on my old pc gaming rig. I still have the box, sitting on my shelf all nice and minty fresh. I've read about the ports before, but never knew about the rights issues. I hope sometime down the road we can get it today so we can relive the memories and the people who don't know anything about the game can enjoy :D Hrmm I think I might have an old desktop to install this gem.

Just thinking about this game reminds me of some older games I miss playing. Tribes for one thing and the second one.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Got the game yesterday. It installed and could be patched just fine in Crossover, but it kept asking for the CD even though it was inserted. When I tried a no-cd patch, it crashed.

Not wanting to waste a ton of time on it, I gave Windows a shot, and there it works fine. Had to edit a couple config files to get proper widescreen support, but otherwise it looks and plays great. On previous Windows 7 machines, I'd run into issues with sound and some annoying stuttering. So far, the MBP has been playing it wonderfully.

I might actually drag out my copy of Parallels, run my Boot Camp install virtually, and see how that goes.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'm glad to hear it is working well. :D

Yet another game I hope to get around to before I die. I went a little overboard collecting games...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.