Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Mac Mini, Apple, Oct 2012 Model, Near new

upgraded the RAM from the standard 2GB to 8GB

500GB Hard Drive

iLife AND iWork included (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote)

$550.00

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Mac Mini, Apple, Oct 2012 Model, Near new

upgraded the RAM from the standard 2GB to 8GB

500GB Hard Drive

iLife AND iWork included (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote)

$550.00

Depends if you don't mind it not being factory sealed and want to save a few bucks.

If you don't mind waiting, you can get a new '12 i5 base for $509 off the Apple refurb website. But they are currently sold out.

B&H has it for $564.80
Amazon has it for $588.86
Macmall has it for $588.85

The above all come with 4GB of RAM. You could upgrade to 8GB for ~$40-45 or 16GB for $80-85.

Obviously the used computer you have comes with 1 year of AppleCare and you could extend that. However if I'm not saving a lot on a used over a new/refurb, I like buying it myself because when I use my credit card they automatically double the manufacturer's warranty. That way I can get 2 years of coverage without having to pay for AC and save some money. Especially on the Mac mini where AC from Apple is 25% the cost of a new base mini.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Depends if you don't mind it not being factory sealed and want to save a few bucks.

If you don't mind waiting, you can get a new '12 i5 base for $509 off the Apple refurb website. But they are currently sold out.

B&H has it for $564.80
Amazon has it for $588.86
Macmall has it for $588.85

The above all come with 4GB of RAM. You could upgrade to 8GB for ~$40-45 or 16GB for $80-85.

Obviously the used computer you have comes with 1 year of AppleCare and you could extend that. However if I'm not saving a lot on a used over a new/refurb, I like buying it myself because when I use my credit card they automatically double the manufacturer's warranty. That way I can get 2 years of coverage without having to pay for AC and save some money. Especially on the Mac mini where AC from Apple is 25% the cost of a new base mini.

Very true, I always use my AMEX for tech purchases. I think I will just wait for a refurb since those other sites do not offer free shipping for me.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Very true, I always use my AMEX for tech purchases. I think I will just wait for a refurb since those other sites do not offer free shipping for me.

I think a refurb is smart decision from the cost perspective. Basically a brand new computer for a 15% discount. Plus free shipping which helps for you. I have no idea how much shipping is to HI from the 48 states, but you might want to just check how much Amazon/Macmall/B&H will be as they don't charge sales tax. Btw, does Amazon prime charge a shipping fee to HI?

One last thing, I don't know your budget, but if you can swing it the base quad core i7 might be another option considering. Comes with a larger HDD (1TB) and a much faster CPU if that matters to you.

Don't forget to check refurb.me for when the model you like becomes available.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I think a refurb is smart decision from the cost perspective. Basically a brand new computer for a 15% discount. Plus free shipping which helps for you. I have no idea how much shipping is to HI from the 48 states, but you might want to just check how much Amazon/Macmall/B&H will be as they don't charge sales tax. Btw, does Amazon prime charge a shipping fee to HI?

One last thing, I don't know your budget, but if you can swing it the base quad core i7 might be another option considering. Comes with a larger HDD (1TB) and a much faster CPU if that matters to you.

Don't forget to check refurb.me for when the model you like becomes available.

Amazon Prime is free luckily. My main use of a Mac Mini would be for a HTPC only. So I don't think for that reason I would need the fusion drive.

Think I will go either Apple refurb or check my exchanges. No tax, no shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.