Did you know.... new from Apple - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:34 AM   #1
suecom
macrumors newbie

Did you know.... new from Apple

Did you know that if you lose/break your authorised iDevice(s) and forget your security questions, you LOSE all the funds you have on the account!

Another policy contrary to UK law, like inviting you to call their support line without telling you it's a premium rate service, and then keeping you on the line for 69 minutes!

Don't finance Apple's business my giving them credit in the form of iTune cards - you may never get it back
suecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

What are you on about?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:53 AM   #3
suecom
macrumors newbie

Apple keeping your funds

I'm trying to let iTunes users know that if they lose/break the iDevice (iPod/iPhone/iPad) they activated their iTunes account on, then they will have to answer the security questions originally (or at some point) setup on the account.

If they can't remember the answers they gave to questions like "Who was your best childhood friend", and such, then they won't be able to use any existing balance they have on their iTunes account.

My son broke his iPod, but got a new iPhone for Christmas. When he tried to buy some music with his iTune account on his new device he was prompted to answer these questions. Of course, he can't recall the answers (which are even case sensitive!).

I spent over an hour trying to get the account reset (he has no rescue email) and they won't reset his security questions unless he knows the serial number of the activated device (device smashed so no way to get) or can answers these questions.

I think Apple are effectively pocketing these funds, and I'm sure he's not the only one to "bequeath" these dormant fund in this way. Solution: don' buy iTines cards and finance Apple's business (give them credit which they can then deny returning to you).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecom View Post
I'm trying to let iTunes users know that if they lose/break the iDevice (iPod/iPhone/iPad) they activated their iTunes account on, then they will have to answer the security questions originally (or at some point) setup on the account.

If they can't remember the answers they gave to questions like "Who was your best childhood friend", and such, then they won't be able to use any existing balance they have on their iTunes account.
So what you're saying is, if you don't have access to your iTunes account, you can't access it?

Do go on..

someguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
suecom
macrumors newbie

Apple have my money

Yes, if you can't recall the answers you gave to the security questions and don't have an existing idevice authorised on the account (because it's been broken - hence the new device), they say they won't allow you to use/access your own money!

One appreciates the security side, but if you DO have your password AND access to your verified email address, then you'd think this enough. Especially after spending over an hour trying to resolve the problem on the 'phone!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

In the future have your son choose security questions with unambiguous and time-invariant answers. Some security questions these days are awfully designed as they could easily change over the years.

I'm a bit confused about the email business. Surely the email can be accessed from another device/computer?

You have to appreciate Apple's position here, too. If they can't verify your identity, how can they give you access. As cynical as I am, I'm pretty sure that once you figure out access again, your funds will still be there.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
I spent over an hour trying to get the account reset (he has no rescue email) and they won't reset his security questions unless he knows the serial number of the activated device (device smashed so no way to get) or can answers these questions.
See this thread for info on how to read the serial number from iTunes:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1522483

For future safety, I recommend writing down the security questions and answers and storing that in a safe place, that more than one person knows about. Otherwise it turns into, "I can't remember where I securely stored the answers to my security questions."

You didn't say how old your son was, but any age over 10 or so should be able to understand about planning for contingencies.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Yes, if you can't recall the answers you gave to the security questions and don't have an existing idevice authorised on the account (because it's been broken - hence the new device), they say they won't allow you to use/access your own money!

One appreciates the security side, but if you DO have your password AND access to your verified email address, then you'd think this enough. Especially after spending over an hour trying to resolve the problem on the 'phone!
You do know if you had registered your product with apple you could simply go to the support profile page and get the serial number.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion