Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
We've had a great setup for a long time with our extremes and expresses... But lately, the connections haven't been so hot and the wireless ranges have seemed to drop a bunch. Just wondering if this does happen from time to time due to aging hardware or the like. The wireless is still present but just as you move away from the original source, it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Any ideas?

Thanks in adv!
Mike

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
We've had a great setup for a long time with our extremes and expresses... But lately, the connections haven't been so hot and the wireless ranges have seemed to drop a bunch. Just wondering if this does happen from time to time due to aging hardware or the like. The wireless is still present but just as you move away from the original source, it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Any ideas?

Thanks in adv!
Mike

I'd expect it to completely fail instead of getting worse. If it's getting worse, I'd wager it's from some new source of interference (cordless phone, baby monitor, etc). Try changing the channel of your network in the Network Utility.

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Agree with the guys above that it may just be interference and try changing the channel. It may even be some new neighbors installing Wi-Fi or other devices and the local wireless being clogged. If you have a newer AEBS, are you still transmitting on 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both? Try switching bands - 5GHz tends to be slightly less congested because fewer people are using it.

I have both my modem and AEBS on battery backup and the wireless connection speeds when there's a neighborhood blackout... the difference is very noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.