Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
That's crazy. Imagine every man, woman, and child in the world downloading three songs and still with plenty to spare.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Did you miss the 30 data points I posted about 8 posts up?

I was responding to one post. If your reasoning was elsewhere, then I did indeed miss it.

----------

MP3 quality exceeds WAV or AIFF? Please justify your comment. How can a compressed file sound better than an uncompressed file?

Apple is selling Billions of them. The others don't sell as well. That means that Apple is better.

----------

I find it intriguing when people brag about being a thief.

I find it sad when people jump to unjustified conclusions.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Yeah! Electronica music... I'm preferring this genre a lot more lately. Over trance + progressive house. Also been getting into DnB.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If I were El Presidente of Apple, I would revise the contest and divide the prize among 20 winners. Instead of a single person winning so much iTunes credit that he could not possibly use in a lifetime. I would give it to 20 lucky people, each one receiving 500 (euro, dollars, dinars, shekels, or whatever currency is used).

That would make 20 happier people, and that means 20 people who might actually be grateful towards Apple. Rather than 1 single person who might turn out to be a total ingrate (which I believe is what happened a couple years ago).

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Buying from Amazon because of DRM free mp3 format is stupid, when you can buy higher quality DRM free AAC format from the iTunes store.

And at least in the UK, anyone who is a bit organised has a permanent iTunes sale, because you can always find some store selling £25 iTunes gift cards for £20. That's 20 percent off everything.

1. Thanks for calling me stupid and unorganised
2. Example: I bought "Once" by Nightwish. Amazon had it for $5.99. iTunes listed it for $9.99. 40% off beats 20% off, right? Or is that just me being stupid again?

----------

mp3s? what's wrong with AAC (.m4a)

Nothing.

What's wrong with the milk at the gas station? Nothing, but I'd rather go to the grocery store and pay a lot less for the same thing.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
2. Example: I bought "Once" by Nightwish. Amazon had it for $5.99. iTunes listed it for $9.99. 40% off beats 20% off, right? Or is that just me being stupid again?

----------

Nothing.

What's wrong with the milk at the gas station? Nothing, but I'd rather go to the grocery store and pay a lot less for the same thing.

Seriously! Amazon prices most of the time are definitely more than 20% off of what iTunes has, especially when you catch their sales. I really enjoy the iTunes experience for buying/browsing, but Amazon is not too far off. Plus, the Cloud Player is a nice addition. Currently Apple does not offer web streaming or streaming of just purchased items to your phone (you can only do this through iTunes Match so far).

MP3 files sound just as good. Like I said before, anything 256+kbps, you are not going to tell the difference. Now you may be able to tell the difference if you have great equipment between a lossless file and a lossy file, but between lossy formats, good luck.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
One morning an Apple engineer was checking on iTunes stats. He noticed the songs downloaded was rapidly approaching 25 Billion. He gave his boss a call. Hey Eddy he said. We are approaching 25 billion songs downloaded. Wow! Eddy remarked. He was pretty excited and happy. He was just promoted and got a pay raise. "I'll let Tim and Phil know" Eddy said as he hung up the phone.

Tim and Phil were at the Apple cafeteria waiting in line for their sushi breakfast when all of a sudden Tim's phone started blazing out Green Day's new song, Fell for you. Phil, startled asked what that was. Tim exclaimed it is his ringtone that goes off only when Eddy calls. Tim answered and annoyed, asked Eddy "What now"? Tim had only had 3 hours of sleep from coming back from China. We are only minutes away from 25 billion downloads Eddy said excitedly! Thats great! Tim replied. This news put a smile on Tim's face knowing that they are reaching another milestone. I'll call you back when the 25 billionth song is downlo…We NEED a prize to give the guy Tim interrupted. Right said Eddy. We can just do a gift card like we have done okay? Thats good exclaimed Tim.

About 30 minutes later, the phone went off again. Tim knew what he was about to hear.
A guy from Germany downloaded a song called "Monkey Drums"… Thats the 25 billionth song. Tim slightly saddened mentioned that he wished it was a Green Day song or a Lady Gaga song that was the 25 billionth downloaded.

Tim sighed "Well, send the info to the PR department".
Will do Eddy said with enthusiasm.

Eddy happily hung up and called PR. We got 25 billion sings downloaded. It was Phillip Lüpke from Germany who has a fetish for Monkeys. He downloaded Monkey Drums. Issue a press release immediately. We are sending him EUR10,000 iTunes Card. He should be set for life on iTunes downloads. He said happily.

A PR was issued, and thus MacRumors reported on it.

25 Billion. Wow. The App Store is still climbing faster though.

You just made my day better :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I said its stupid to buy mp3 using the argument "because it's DRM free" when AAC is just as DRM free.

You look at Amazon deals and compare them with Apple normal price and find it cheaper - what about looking at Apple deals and comparing them to Amazon pricing. I've found plenty of good deals on Apple that were significantly cheaper than Amazon.

----------

Apple is selling Billions of them. The others don't sell as well. That means that Apple is better.

You may not have noticed, but this was all about MP3s. Apple doesn't sell any of those as far as I know. It's exclusively AAC for music; audiobooks may be in some Audible format.

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Wow. That's really impressive numbers. I haven't contributed much to that number since I use Spotify for my music needs.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Lucky bastard..

What are ya gonna do with a 10,000 EUP iTunes Gift Card?

At some point, he'll run outta things to watch by 1 million.

I'd still prefer tha cash though.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I find it sad when people jump to unjustified conclusions.

Actually, it's a pretty justifiable conclusion. Considering Apple has a record of your sale anyway, and you aren't giving people copies of your files, are you?, and you're already allowed to use it within a household and so forth (legally, since there's no DRM to enforce it functionally), the only reasons out there that would have you not liking your AppleID in the metadata are:

1. You plan to share the track pirate-style; or
2. You're paranoid about your AppleID getting "out there" somehow, not realizing that any scenario in which that file makes it into the wild without your approval would be a significant enough theft that much more of your identifying information would get out there too, and your AppleID appearing in the metadata of an m4a file would be the least of your worries. I.e. they stole your computer or iPhone, or hacked into it.

AND if it bothers you that much, just use Subler to strip out the metadata. Use a utility like TuneUp to automatically add the correct tags and artwork etc back in based on the waveform. Presto, completely anonymized files with iTMS' near-perfect quality and the correct tags.

I don't have a problem with data piracy. I mean, I don't like it particularly, because I see it as a violation of the rights of the IP owner, but I recognize that it's close to unenforceable these days and that a certain segment of the public isn't going to pay for content no matter what, so most of the RIAA's claimed "lost sales" would actually never have happened. Subscription models are on track to moot the point once and for all. But what I do have a problem with is people pretending like they're not pirates, when they obviously are. Just admit it and own it. Nobody cares anymore. I mean, yeah, the RIAA cares, but they can't do anything to you unless you practically e-mail them your torrent hashtags and beg for litigation.

I'll readily admit that back in the Napster era, I pirated everything with bytes and a filename. Now, as life goes on, the value equation has changed. "Free to acquire" no longer means as much when, for a nominal fee up front, I can have it forever in the cloud, maintained by Apple, including matching of my physical CDs. And then there are my kids to set an example for. A few computer crashes ago, I lost my "hoard," and strangely have never since felt the urge to go re-collect it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What are ya gonna do with a 10,000 EUP iTunes Gift Card?

At some point, he'll run outta things to watch by 1 million.

Why would that be? Spending 50 Euros a month on music, videos, apps and books is no problem, and at that rate it won't even last 20 years.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
What the hell would you do with 10,000E gift card!? I couldn't think of a worse prize quite frankly. 10,000E of Apple Store credit would be more like it, iTunes store sells nothing physical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.