Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
lke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
30 million iPhone 5 sold and only a few are reporting bend, scratch and camera issues

I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date. If the bend, scratch and camera issues are as bad as we read here why there is not many people speaking about this.

Maybe the first production of the iphone 5 was bad and then Apple make some changes to have better quality.

Could it be that some people are overreacting to the issues of the iphone 5?


What do you think about this?
lke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date. If the bend, scratch and camera issues are as bad as we read here why there is not many people speaking about this.

Maybe the first production of the iphone 5 was bad and then Apple make some changes to have better quality.

Could it be that some people are overreacting to the issues of the iphone 5?


What do you think about this?
Yes
Spink10 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a
 
Minhimalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Most people don't even care about small nicks and stuff.. They just get the phone and then use it. The problem just seems exacerbated because people here on forums like these are more likely to bring them up (aside from the bending.. I'm sure anyone would notice and not be okay with that.)
__________________
iPhone 6; MacBook Air
Twitter Instagram Flickr deviantART
Minhimalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
I've seen plenty of scuffed and scratched iPhone 5's. The average user just doesn't notice or care.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:41 AM   #5
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Wow 30 million iPhones? That's almost 31 million!
stonyboys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
What do u expect from people who can't decide between black or white?
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Return rate for the 4 was less than 1%, people who (think) they have issues will complain a lot more than people with devices that work.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:57 AM   #8
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date.
Where did you read that?
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Where did you read that?
It's in the thread title.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #10
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
It's in the thread title.
that gave me a good wake up chuckle thanks.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:37 AM   #11
upnorth85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
China overtook the US this year as the largest smart phone market in the world. In the second quarter Apple's market share halved to 10%. Wall Street Journal reported today that Apple's market share dropped to 6.9% this quarter even as Lenovo's market share increased from 1.7% to 14.8% for the quarter ending September. While I do not think quality is the reason for Apple not being successful in emerging market. I do think that Apple's strategy of using wireless providers as the default gateway for sales is one of the reasons. In much of the world, consumers buy their own phones at full price and then select a wireless provider. When the consumer is paying a full price, value for money and quality has a bigger impact. Samsung is still the market leader in China but Lenovo is expected to be the largest in China in 2013. As an Apple shareholder I would like to see Apple focus on the rest of the world including the emerging economies where the smart phone market is not yet saturated like the west. I would also like to see Apple overcome their supply chain issues and sell iPhones to all who want to buy it in the US. (Apple still does not sell unlocked iPhone 5 to customers outside of the big 3 wireless providers). No doubt it does sell iPhone 4S etc to anyone who wants to buy one.
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth85 View Post
China overtook the US this year as the largest smart phone market in the world. In the second quarter Apple's market share halved to 10%. Wall Street Journal reported today that Apple's market share dropped to 6.9% this quarter even as Lenovo's market share increased from 1.7% to 14.8% for the quarter ending September. While I do not think quality is the reason for Apple not being successful in emerging market. I do think that Apple's strategy of using wireless providers as the default gateway for sales is one of the reasons. In much of the world, consumers buy their own phones at full price and then select a wireless provider. When the consumer is paying a full price, value for money and quality has a bigger impact. Samsung is still the market leader in China but Lenovo is expected to be the largest in China in 2013. As an Apple shareholder I would like to see Apple focus on the rest of the world including the emerging economies where the smart phone market is not yet saturated like the west. I would also like to see Apple overcome their supply chain issues and sell iPhones to all who want to buy it in the US. (Apple still does not sell unlocked iPhone 5 to customers outside of the big 3 wireless providers). No doubt it does sell iPhone 4S etc to anyone who wants to buy one.
Using carriers as the gateway for sales - and delaying availability of unlocked phones - benefits Apple such that I'd wager most people think a 16GB iPhone 5 costs just $199.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 AM   #13
upnorth85
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I would accept that proposition if the US was the center of the world. The reality is that like Cars, the largest smart phone markets are now outside of the US. Apple as a global company will need to adapt to the fast changing market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Using carriers as the gateway for sales - and delaying availability of unlocked phones - benefits Apple such that I'd wager most people think a 16GB iPhone 5 costs just $199.
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #14
lke
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I buy 2 black iphones and they don't have any scratches or bend issues.

I am sure that the first production of iphone 5 has some issues because my 2 black iphones are perfect and without any scratch.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
I've been through 6 iphones with scratches/nicks/scuffs now. Some more serious than others.

It's a pretty common problem. It's more likely that only a few OCD owners like me are complaining about it.

I've only seen one flawless iphone 5 (the first one I bought from the Apple store on launch day with ZERO flaws in every possible way). Unfortunate that it was a 16GB and I sold it to buy a 32.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5: Scratch Issues Resolved? forrestwhite iPhone 9 Oct 23, 2012 12:40 AM
IPhone 5 Camera Scratch or Glitch Andrewbrown518 iPhone 3 Oct 13, 2012 01:47 PM
Reporting Map issues tigress666 iOS 6 0 Sep 24, 2012 06:38 PM
iPhone 5 camera photos reporting weird sizes? AzazelCoH iPhone 0 Sep 24, 2012 06:05 PM
iPhone Turning Five Years Old with 250 Million Units Sold, $150 Billion in Revenue MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 184 Jun 29, 2012 09:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps