Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Which of you really yearn for a 15" MacBook Air?

I travel a lot for work so, in terms of weight, I'd appreciate the MacBook Air to reduce weight of my luggage, however, when I get to my destination, I have to work many hours, so I'd prefer a 15" for doing work.

I presently own these Apple notebooks - MBA 11", MBA 13" and MBP 15".

I find that the 11" is perfectly fine for fun stuff, browsing websites, doing email and Facebook, and also for writing text. But it gets cramped when I'm stressed and need to work fast. I can't give a reason for it, but when I've tons of work to do, and need to work fast, it's at those times that the tiny 11" screen just irritates me.

To be honest, I've never felt that the 13" was terribly cramped when using any particular app - as I have sometimes with the 11" -- so you would think that the 13" is the ideal travel-work compromise. However, the 13" starts to feel smallish when you need to work with multiple windows open at the same time, e.g. word processor, browser, email. Not just multitasking, but needing to see all those windows at the same time for the purpose of the work you're doing. That's when the 13" starts to feel too small. And that's precisely the scenario I have many times when doing serious work - as opposed to just relaxing reading the internet.

However, the 15" just feels really nice and expansive. I just enjoy working on a 15".

So my ideal would be a 15" MacBook Air without Retina screen. The resolution of the current 15" screens is fine for me. From my several trips to the Apple Store to play with the 15" Retina, I've never really wished I had a Retina screen.

Now, you might say that the 15" Retina is Apple's response to us who want a 15" MBA. Maybe so, but right now, the Retina is priced ridiculously. Furthermore, for travel, I would still prefer something lighter than the current 15" Retina.

So I am really hoping that Apple haven't forgotten the idea of a 15" MacBook Air.

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
The new thinner MBP really isn't far off.

It wouldn't bother me either way if they released a 15" air, I would have thought it would take away from its ultimate portability. 11" is a little small for me. 13" Is perfect and I just dock into a big monitor when I get to my desk so it's the ideal machine for me.

Shows we are all different.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I think the 13" air is in a sweet spot for the casual user. I agree with the other poster that if you want 15" then you might as well get a rMBP with current pricing. A 15" MBA wouldn't weigh that much less with the tapered front although it would have a killer battery life with that added room and no extra graphics chip to drive. Just get a monitor for when you need to "work fast".

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I did yearn for a 15" MBA before I bought my 13" MBA, because I thought 13" would be to small after I had spent approx. 9 years with a 15" laptop.

After the purchase however, I don't yearn any more for an 15" MBA.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I did yearn for a 15" MBA before I bought my 13" MBA, because I thought 13" would be to small after I had spent approx. 9 years with a 15" laptop.

After the purchase however, I don't yearn any more for an 15" MBA.

Same here. Replaced 15-inch MBP with MBA and love the smaller form factor not to mention how light the thing is.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I realized that the form factor of a 15" machine just isn't portable enough. Heck, I even think the 13" isn't all that portable either...

I got to hold the 15rMBP in my hands the other day and was surprised how thin it is (even though still pretty heavy)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
They can't even keep some of the 13" leveled, a 15" you would be able to twist it wif ur hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.