Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qlosure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hi all,

I've been using the keychain in Safari on the Mac and a couple of security questions came to mind.

I used an iMac at work with a work login and used Safari to login to various sites. When I got home I used my MacBook and checked the keychain in Safari. Somehow all the passwords I used on the work iMac (including some colleagues' logins) were available to see in my MacBook keychain. Clicking on 'Show Password' showed all the passwords in plain view (including colleagues' passwords who had used the same computer previously).

How did the keychain get transferred from the work iMac to my home MacBook Pro?

Since then I've used another iMac at a different work place (so a completely different OS login) and the same keychain also transferred to this Safari. So anyone else using this iMac can view the passwords in plain view in Safari preferences.

Please could someone shed some light into this.. It seems odd that my keychain could just float around to every Mac I use and anyone can view the accumulated login details if they know the computer's login. I would think this can be a problem on shared computers in an office.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have no idea how your keychain/passwords are getting synced as that is not a feature available in OS X. Could it be there is an aftermarket product like 1Password or something syncing the passwords?

When you say you can see your passwords, are you talking about this screen in Safari prefs? If you uncheck the box I marked, the passwords will not be shown. If you recheck the box you will be prompted for a password.

ib1tiUWOzdlW1c.png

Qlosure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I'm probably getting muddled between keychain and safari passwords.

Yes that's the screen I was referring to. Somehow this list of websites and passwords has been transferred to every Safari I've been working on. Even when I cleared the list from my MacBook, it came back.. so I'm guessing the list is stored in a cloud/server somewhere.

My question is: how do I stop this list from being transferred from browser to browser?

My concern is that anyone who has the password of that machine's login can enter the password and view all my website passwords.

Also, my work colleagues' passwords (who briefly used the same office Mac) have been included in that list, which gets transferred to every Safari I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.