Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have a very large collection of cassettes and CD's which I have been loading into iTunes for almost a year now.

My iPod Classic can not store all the songs in my iTunes library.

I am using Excel to determine how many bytes make up the songs I have selected to store on my iPod.

iTunes allows the user to select or unselect each song

First I sorted my iTunes library by clicking the column header with the check mark icon

Second, I copied all checked songs and pasted into Excel

Third I sorted the Excel worksheet to measure the total bytes in my library and compared that total to the available file storage capacity of my iPod Classic

I am now going back into iTunes to unselect more songs

If anyone knows an easier way to accomplish this task, please let me know

1. If you switch iTunes to "View as album list", it shows at the bottom of the screen how many songs, how much time, and how much memory you have selected.

2. If you plug in the iPod, and click on it under "Devices", iTunes shows at the bottom of the screen the capacity of the iPod, how much is filled, how much you are trying to put on it, and how much you are over capacity. And under Summary, Options you can pick "Convert higher bitrate songs to 256KBit", or "Convert higher bitrate songs to 192KBit", or "Convert higher bitrate songs to 128KBit" to fit more music.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This post quoted above was directed at the first reply to my first ever post in this forum which reads,

"This is irrelevant it depends on the size of each file. In iTunes you'll be able to find the size of your library."

(...in other words, your question is irrelevant, here is all you need to know)

I found this post to be unhelpful and dismissive (must have reminded me of a bad teacher) which is why I now regretfully posted the snarky remark comment.

I was subsequently called a dick, scolded at like a child and labelled as a no nothing new user among other shining denunciations.

That said, most of the people here were helpful and civil. My iPod storage capacity management question was more or less resolved. Thanks again for the help.

The rest of you can pound sand.

Wow, what an attitude.

What he said you misunderstood - and he was correct. The number of minutes has absolutely nothing to do with capacity unless you take into account the accompanying bitrate of each song.

You know, if you lose the attitude people will a) be more willing to help you next time and b) not give attitude back.

surf4peace

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
U.S.A.
1. If you switch iTunes to "View as album list", it shows at the bottom of the screen how many songs, how much time, and how much memory you have selected.

2. If you plug in the iPod, and click on it under "Devices", iTunes shows at the bottom of the screen the capacity of the iPod, how much is filled, how much you are trying to put on it, and how much you are over capacity. And under Summary, Options you can pick "Convert higher bitrate songs to 256KBit", or "Convert higher bitrate songs to 192KBit", or "Convert higher bitrate songs to 128KBit" to fit more music.

Will point out that while doing a restore on an iPad Classic 160 GB, the conversion option seems to be causing a hangup in iTunes 11.01.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Will point out that while doing a restore on an iPad Classic 160 GB, the conversion option seems to be causing a hangup in iTunes 11.01.

Conversion takes time. Easily five or ten seconds per song, depending on how fast or slow your Mac is. Is it just slow, or does it actually hang? Did you see a change from 10.7 or earlier? If yes, iTunes -> iTunes Menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback" and tell Apple about it.

surf4peace

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
U.S.A.
Conversion takes time. Easily five or ten seconds per song, depending on how fast or slow your Mac is. Is it just slow, or does it actually hang? Did you see a change from 10.7 or earlier? If yes, iTunes -> iTunes Menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback" and tell Apple about it.

Provided feedback to Apple already. More than a few experiencing this problem. Conversion "hangs" up on the second song and never completes the synchronization. I've tried on more than one occasion to complete my sync and each time the same result. Hopefully Apple will have an update in early Jan to address this.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
This post quoted above was directed at the first reply to my first ever post in this forum which reads,

"This is irrelevant it depends on the size of each file. In iTunes you'll be able to find the size of your library."

(...in other words, your question is irrelevant, here is all you need to know)

I found this post to be unhelpful and dismissive (must have reminded me of a bad teacher) which is why I now regretfully posted the snarky remark comment.

I was subsequently called a dick, scolded at like a child and labelled as a no nothing new user among other shining denunciations.

That said, most of the people here were helpful and civil. My iPod storage capacity management question was more or less resolved. Thanks again for the help.

The rest of you can pound sand.

Well, I'd have to concur that the person that called you a dick seems pretty astute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.