Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
For those of you who used Vista, you should believe me to be crazy by now. Thing is, I wanna play some windows exclusive games. But the only genuine windows i own is a 64bit vista cd.

Is this fine for games, or should I upgrade to W7?

... or are there any... less legal ways I'm not familiar with? It is to my understanding that boot camp only works with genuine copies, while running a parallel windows without installing it on the hdd is less than ideal for games.

Dota 2. Don't care about graphics, but performance is crucial.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
For those of you who used Vista, you should believe me to be crazy by now. Thing is, I wanna play some windows exclusive games. But the only genuine windows i own is a 64bit vista cd.

Is this fine for games, or should I upgrade to W7?

... or are there any... less legal ways I'm not familiar with? It is to my understanding that boot camp only works with genuine copies, while running a parallel windows without installing it on the hdd is less than ideal for games.

Dota 2. Don't care about graphics, but performance is crucial.

I'm pretty sure Vista isn't supported by Bootcamp. You could use Parallels or VMware, but you'll have a pretty huge performance hit.

I suggest getting Windows 7 or 8. You could get an OEM copy on newegg for around $100 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986).

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
Performance wise, Windows XP best for games.

I'd get Win XP, if the games you want to play support it.

Windows 7 is second choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.