Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Yup, Ford went from $2/share to $14/share today. However they were at one point worth $18.65/share. So selling now is still good.

----------

If anyone wants a nice bet, try investing in AMD. Their stock went as low as $1.43/share and rebounded to $9.91/share a 8 fold increase. Right now is back to $1ish. So investing now is a sure way to get money back. By the way, it will climb when they release new GPUS in their Radeon line.
Thanks for the tip. Will look into it.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:07 PM   #27
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Yup, Ford went from $2/share to $14/share today. However they were at one point worth $18.65/share. So selling now is still good.

----------

If anyone wants a nice bet, try investing in AMD. Their stock went as low as $1.43/share and rebounded to $9.91/share a 8 fold increase. Right now is back to $1ish. So investing now is a sure way to get money back. By the way, it will climb when they release new GPUS in their Radeon line.
My problem with AMD and the same for Intel is that they are taking a beating right now because of the shift towards mobile processors and their lack of presence in that industry. I don't know much about AMD, but with Intel it seems to be a kind of tepid market for them, until they can get some solid footing in the mobile industry or have a clear path into that industry, then I'd say buy buy buy
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:14 PM   #28
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
My problem with AMD and the same for Intel is that they are taking a beating right now because of the shift towards mobile processors and their lack of presence in that industry. I don't know much about AMD, but with Intel it seems to be a kind of tepid market for them, until they can get some solid footing in the mobile industry or have a clear path into that industry, then I'd say buy buy buy
AMD has a better foothold on the mobile space than Intel. Why? Look into their Fusion line. Sure the CPU side lacks a bit compared to other Intel Atom chips, but the GPU performance on these Fusion chips beats the crap out of Intel's IGP. So much that some manufacturers use the GPU for GPGPU computing. Also, given the high GPU capabilities of these mobile Fusion chips, means better gaming applications for mobile which is a big seller itself.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:49 PM   #29
dinggus
Banned

I always wanted to get into stock. I was deployed and looking at buying stock when it was around $300, just never took the plunge.

What stocking company to majority of people use?

Anything I can do to "learn" before spending real money?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #30
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I always wanted to get into stock. I was deployed and looking at buying stock when it was around $300, just never took the plunge.

What stocking company to majority of people use?

Anything I can do to "learn" before spending real money?
I use Ameritrade for personal fun stuff and Goldman Sachs for investments with my actual portfolio.

One thing I would learn is its not the dollar amount its the percentage. Like if you have a 5% gain on a stock that is .05 then the overall return is going to be better than a 1% return on a stock that was 300 that you could only afford like 2 shares of. Especially if you have to pay a broker fee or if a site like TD Ameritrade charges like 10/trade I think

Its hard to deal with penny stocks and needs to be viewed as a recreational hobby like buying lottery tickets or gambling. Don't sink any money into it that you aren't prepared to lose. After you get used to buying and selling stocks you can start to get into calls and other fun options
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 PM   #31
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I use Ameritrade for personal fun stuff and Goldman Sachs for investments with my actual portfolio.

One thing I would learn is its not the dollar amount its the percentage. Like if you have a 5% gain on a stock that is .05 then the overall return is going to be better than a 1% return on a stock that was 300 that you could only afford like 2 shares of. Especially if you have to pay a broker fee or if a site like TD Ameritrade charges like 10/trade I think

Its hard to deal with penny stocks and needs to be viewed as a recreational hobby like buying lottery tickets or gambling. Don't sink any money into it that you aren't prepared to lose. After you get used to buying and selling stocks you can start to get into calls and other fun options
Thanks, do you know of any apps that simulate free trading?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Pompiliu
Banned

Bought at $60.
Sold at $600.

Now i'm rich(er).
Pompiliu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:36 PM   #33
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiliu View Post
Bought at $60.
Sold at $600.

Now i'm rich(er).

How many shares (if you don't mind me asking)
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:55 PM   #34
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Got 300 shares @ $29 while I was at Microsoft. Got another 200 shares @ $38 with my own money 2 years later.

I sold most of it between $149 - $200 but still have 100 shares of my free shares while it was $29.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #35
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Ah, shut up. I started buying at 12, continued buying up to 23. Started selling at 40, and finished selling at 46, or there about. Had somewhere around 100 shares. and oh yeah, there have been 2 stock splits since then, two for 1. By my count, that's 400 shares. Thanks for rubbing salt in that gaping $240,000 wound...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:04 PM   #36
Darkhrse99
macrumors regular

I bought in 07 when it was 85.00 and again when it was 185.00, but sadly sold it when it was in the 200's
Darkhrse99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:21 PM   #37
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Apple's stock raised above $100 in the first couple of years of the new millennium. Any of you purchase Apple's stock before then, when it was at $90 or less? Do you still own the stock to this day? What made you want to buy then - did you see potential even as they were "small"? This isn't for a research paper or anything, I'm just really curious.
So, my family did this little investment club thing. I kept pumping apple because it had a recurring cycle where it would climb, then fall, climb, then fall. I kept pumping it and they thought I was just an apple homer 'cuz I had a mac. When it dropped to 12.23 (I believe), after cycling from around 16-55, we bought, then bought a little more. When it doubled, everyone wanted to sell. We held on to almost triple the early shares. We were selling part, then we dissolved the club. I saw potential for them to keep cycling. Never dreamed they'd pop 700. That was in the dark years, before THE RETURN...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion