Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:01 PM   #26
gloubibou
macrumors member

Hi!

HoudahSpot's Text Preview feature does highlight hits within the text.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.Ó r.l.
gloubibou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:35 PM   #27
Bigmacduck
macrumors regular

Still not happy with Houdah Spot

I am still not happy with Houdah Spot on Mac when I compare it to the powerful and easy to use X1 search on windows. One key feature that I am missing is the embedded document/email previewer. Also the Outlook 2011 is not integrated well into Houdah Spot.

A typical search that I want to be able to perform is "find an email message anywhere in the whole message store that has either a PowerPoint or Acrobat PDF attachment and inside that PPTX or PDF file there are the works "aaa, xxx, yyy, and zzz".

I have not found a way to do that in Houdah Spot.
Bigmacduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:40 PM   #28
BigEdDude
macrumors newbie

Search within a Virtual Machine

Does anyone know of an OSX search engine that will search within a parallels virtual machine whether or not it is running?
BigEdDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:25 AM   #29
Schismz
macrumors regular

EasyFind

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easyf...11673888?mt=12
or, if you're hatin' on the (cr)ap store:
http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html
Schismz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:51 AM   #30
KySTrokr
macrumors newbie

The Mac is capable of detailed searches........

-Command F
-A Searching "This Mac" window opens up
-Skip the upper Search bar unless your search is for general results
-click the Plus sign just below it
-On the left there are two drop down menus in succession that allow detailed searches including what is in a document, a file name,exact or includes, email addresses etc.
-First drop down includes Kind, Last opened date,Last Modified date,created date,name,contents,email addresses,Other
-Then you can choose from matches,contains,begins with,ends with is

Using list view also helps to see when it was created or altered as well.

Hope this helps someone. Don't know about the parallel thing but worth a try.
Spotlight is a quick search but you can also click the show in finder window to get to the same search window I've described above
KySTrokr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:57 PM   #31
chris.dg
macrumors newbie

Resurrecting an old thread to ask if the OP, bigmacduck, or anyone else, has had any success in finding a Mac-based replacement for X1's excellent and exhaustive capability to find desired emails across multiple Outlook pst files?

This is still the only thing keeping me back from immediately switching out all of our Windows PCs for MacBooks. We rely heavily upon X1's ability to quickly and easily find historic email (or anything other file) using any combination of search criteria (sender, recipients, subject, body text, dates, attachment metadata, etc). I know I'm not alone here - just wish X1 would create a Mac package already.

Outlook's own Search function is not even close in terms of ease and performance, particularly since it is limited to one pst at a time.

Regards,
-Chris

Last edited by chris.dg; Feb 24, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
chris.dg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:50 AM   #32
Crusader007
macrumors member

surprised why no one mentioned Alfred yet...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:27 PM   #33
Sital
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader007 View Post
Because it was still in beta when this thread was started.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:17 AM   #34
bgerkes
macrumors newbie

I've read this thread with great interest, but the main problem with Spotlight still does not seem to be solved:
Spotlight refuses to show search results of metadata in .eps files (I am talking about Photoshop eps files here, not Illustrator).
This is a major problem for any serious picture archive on a Mac…
I've tried most of the mentioned alternatives in this thread, but none of them gives satisfying results.

Does anyone know a (fast!) solution for this problem?

I am using Adobe Bridge for entering metadata into pictures. That program does show the search results (also in eps files) but is horrible slow on a Mac when you use it to find something (another thing I do not understand by the way) and is useless for me because of that.

Bottom line: is there a search app available that does metadata search in eps files and does it fast?

Thanks in advance and friendly regards, Boele

Last edited by bgerkes; May 19, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
bgerkes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 09:29 AM   #35
bgerkes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader007 View Post
Alfred *is* mentioned on April 20th 2011 in this threadů
bgerkes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 09:40 AM   #36
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerkes View Post
Bottom line: is there a search app available that does metadata search in eps files and does it fast?

Thanks in advance and friendly regards, Boele
You can add plugins to Spotlight to support additional file types and I found this Photoshop Spotlight plugin that might do what you want. Looks like you can try a demo before you pay.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 09:50 AM   #37
bgerkes
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this quick reply! Gonna try it out tonight and will let know if it does the job or not.

Boele
bgerkes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 01:46 AM   #38
bgerkes
macrumors newbie

test failed.

Unfortunately this is not working. I downloaded and installed the plugin and re-indexed all disks, then tried a search for a unique term I inserted in both the metadata of a few tiffs and eps's with Adobe Bridge. Result: the tiffs are found the eps's are not
Old May 21, 2014, 06:00 AM   #39
sarahzohar88
macrumors newbie

I am too much interested in this topic
sarahzohar88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 06:18 AM   #40
bgerkes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahzohar88 View Post
I am too much interested in this topic
Then you are lucky cause I think I finally found a solution: meet "NeoFinder" (formerly known as CDFinder).
http://www.cdfinder.de

As far as I can tell, the app creates a new index file (of whatever folder or disk you want) in which you can find meta data, *including* meta data in Photoshop eps's. Yes!!

Besides that, it also in cooperates the Spotlight engine so you've got the best of both worlds.
The demo version seems to do everything except that it does not automatically updates the indexes you create and there is no network functionality. The full version has that included.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:47 PM   #41
AzureAzul
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloubibou View Post
I am admittedly biased. But I think this is a clear case of you-get-what-you-pay-for. I agree that Spotlight is an excellent technology. But I find the interfaces offered by Apple to be lacking. That's why I wrote both HoudahSpot and Tembo.

You may want to check the feature comparison chart at the bottom of http://houdah.com/houdahSpot/ for a glimpse of what you are missing out on.

Or better yet, try the demo versions of HoudahSpot and Tembo.
Hi,

I use dtsearch in Windows and this is the main reason for not having yet switched to the Mac. Dtsearch is *very* powerful -see Cha 6 of
http://support.dtsearch.com/dtSearch_Desktop.pdf

Does Houdah offer similar search features, and -more importantly- speed? I have around 0.5 TB of pdf files, so a general desktop search app is not really the answer. When you start having a huge number of files, you really need features like:
1. proximity search -e.g. (orange w/5 apple) finds all documents where orange appears within 5 words of apple
2. stemming -e.g. (fish~) would find both 'fish' and 'fishing'

My impression is that this is an area where the Mac under-performs in relation to Windows -but please show me wrong!

Best
AzureAzul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:05 AM   #42
AndyK
Contributor

Alfred all the way.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:37 PM   #43
53Chevyrumors
macrumors newbie

Spotlight does not do what it should!

I do not understand the slavish devotion to spotlight. A file search program should locate the place where the file resides on the drive. Yes, you can press the command key while hovering the cursor over the filename but if the file is in multiple layers then spotlight does not offer complete information such as the root folder name. It should be much easier than this. Older versions were more functional. And this is from someone devoted to Macs.
53Chevyrumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
desktop, osx, search, windows