Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I have a 15" MBP at home that's pretty much a desktop replacement computer and an iPad. I'm not thrilled about the portability of the MBP, though I haven't really had to leave home with it very much up until now. I'm planning on getting a thunderbolt display (as soon as the new generation comes out) to maximize my screen real estate and make it more friendly to use while at home. I've also got an iPad that I take with me to read/answer emails/surf the web, but that I don't like to use to create content.

I'm contemplating getting a MBA, for portability, since I'm starting a new job where I might need to bring my computer with me more often, and the MBP is a bit hefty for that. My work involves research, so I'll just have to use search engines, store pdfs, create presentations/papers, and definitely don't need much in the way of upgrades for the portable computer. I'm not sure about getting rid of my MBP and using the MBA as a main computer, since it doesn't seem like it would be the best desktop replacement, and my other option, I guess, would be to buy a 13" MBP, however I'm unsure about the resolution (as the MBA is better in that respect), though it could certainly function as a desktop replacement.

Does it seem like overkill to have a MBP (for home), MBA (a basic one), and an iPad? Would it be a better idea to get a 13" MBP to replace the 15" one and just keep that and the iPad?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
If you have the money and you feel you would enjoy the extra portability of the Air, then by all means get an Air. I love mine.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I got a MBA after having the same combo you have and find myself using the MBA way more than the iPad these days. It's the best of both: portability but a real computer. You didn't say what content you create but you might even find that a 2012 MBA is quite capable and you wont be heading for the MBP as often, if at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.