Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowydog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Hi guys

Just looking some advice

I've been dragged into doing some design work for a couple of reports at work - I work as a business consultant but I have been doing light design work on some of our reports and the clients have liked and have asked for some more work ... to be honest though - I've no design experience or knowledge at all .. I taught myself the basics of InDesign and suppose they think I'm quite creative ... but as I only really know the basic, my stuff usually ends up taking the more simple, clean and crisp look ... but there's somethings I'd like to be able to do that I havent a clue about ... take a look at this link at some of the reports:

http://pinterest.com/davolerch/annual-reports/

Is InDesign the standard software for doing reports that are sometimes up to 40 pages long .. what about things like background images/artwork or artistic elements to the reports - as I can't do that in InDesign - would you do these in photoshop or illustrator and then add to InDesign ... what's the norm on how these things work?

I'm keen to learn .. and am willing to teach myself online but I'd like some advice on even where to start ... I can't afford the time to go to a class as I'm restricted in flexibility and really get to work on my own stuff late at night ..

How are elements like maps designed to look nice ... or nicely designed tables and graphs showing business data .. like in the reports I linked above there on pinterest...

Apologies for my cluelessness...I just really wanna learn so I can make my work a lot more creative - I know the type of things I wanna do, ,I just don't know how to go about doing them .. :eek::eek: :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Short answer: yes :)

InDesign is the standard for documents like this, and other graphics are created in Photoshop or Illustrator for import. There isn't really any short answer for your question, annual reports are a combination of different design skills in one big project.

Best advice I can give is to keep it simple, clean, and consistent. Make a simple header/footer and use that across the project, pick one or two typefaces and be consistent in how you apply that in titles, subtitles, body copy, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.