Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 9, 2013, 07:45 PM   #26
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Why not go post this in the iPhone forum? Nobody who wants an updated iPod classic wants it in the form of an iPhone on steroids.
I do. iPod touch with data only access is my dream device.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 09:41 PM   #27
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I do. iPod touch with data only access is my dream device.
...which has absolutely nothing to do with the iPod classic or any updates to it. If they released said device, it certainly wouldn't be a classic or any inkling of it, it would be a completely different and unrelated product, which makes any mention of it in this dicussion completely worthless.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #28
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
...which has absolutely nothing to do with the iPod classic or any updates to it. If they released said device, it certainly wouldn't be a classic or any inkling of it, it would be a completely different and unrelated product, which makes any mention of it in this dicussion completely worthless.
True. But they won't be updating the Classic, so the whole thread is pretty moot to begin with.

I put a CF card in my iPod mini though and I love the performance FYI.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:13 PM   #29
ianwuk
macrumors regular

My 160GB Classic just died so I bought a new one. I can fit more songs on my iPod Classic than iTunes Match allows right now so I had to trim my library to make it fit. I find the Classic to be very tough and robust, it has gone around the world with me several times and when I run marathons I take it with me too.

My last one was used to start with so this time I bought a new one. I would like an update in the form of a bigger hard drive or the equivalent SSD but I doubt, with the advent of iTunes Match, it will happen.
ianwuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:24 PM   #30
samiam895
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Here is what would be nice, instead of a new classic how about make iPhone Platinum.

-256GB SSD Storage
-5" Screen
-iOS 7
-16mp Rear camera with 4 times optical zoom
-Thunderbolt to lightning adapter (For people with Macs)
-Unibody aluminum
-FingerPrint scanner built into home button (Login to FaceBook, twitter, the iPod itself, Instagram... Etc.
-Face Recognition technology
-4G LTE
-NFC
-Wireless charging

----------

A HDD is a spinning hard drive found in most computers, it's quite a bit slower because the disc has to spin to the right place to find the data (In this case, your song) Think of it as a solid metal super high capacity CD that gets read by a magnet instead of a laser. HDD stands for HARD DISC DRIVE.

A SSD is a chip with non moving parts, they can be in most MP3 players/iPods/iPhones/iPads/and some high end Macs and PCs. It's more expensive, but lasts way longer and is way faster at accessing data.
Think of it as the memory chip for your digital camera, that is a small SSD.
SSD stand for SOLID STATE DRIVE.
Yeah coz that would not cost less than $1500 coming from Apple, what a ridiculous proposal
samiam895 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:40 AM   #31
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have two classics, one each in me and my wife's car, like others have mentioned, if they were to discontinue them I would buy a couple as replacements for when the one's I have give up. One of the best technological items I have bought, does what it is primarily designed to do, play music and not much else of note.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:35 PM   #32
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam895 View Post
Yeah coz that would not cost less than $1500 coming from Apple, what a ridiculous proposal
Actually what I said is quite realistic, and most of these things have been rumored to be in the iPhone 5S (Btw if it is $1500, that's why it's the iPhone Platinum)

Below I have reposted the things I wanted and put a little star beside all the ones that have been rumored or are likely to happen.

-256GB SSD Storage (128GB more likely)
-5" Screen *
-iOS 7 *
-16mp Rear camera with 4 times optical zoom (Maybe more like 10mp)
-Thunderbolt to lightning adapter (For people with Macs)
-Unibody aluminum *
-FingerPrint scanner built into home button (Login to FaceBook, twitter, the iPod itself, Instagram... Etc. *
-Face Recognition technology *
-4G LTE *
-NFC *
-Wireless charging *
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:12 AM   #33
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Don't want the lightning adapter at all, what a gimmick.

The big 3 I would like are:
- improved DAC, perhaps since its a music centric device make it audiophile friendly.
- upgraded capacity
- glass screen

That's all I care about. The interface is perfect and quite frankly, the best music friendly interface the iPods have now.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:16 AM   #34
Lolito
macrumors 6502

an ipod classic is like a reflex camera: sure there are smaller, but no better. An ssd can be installed on any classic, and it will be faster and consume less battery. Still, a wi-fi and lightning connection would be great. and also make it much thinner, because of ssd and smaller baterry. Adding bluetooth would be awesome too.

They won't do it. but they won't discontinue them just yet...
Lolito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:34 AM   #35
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
A HDD is a spinning hard drive found in most computers, it's quite a bit slower because the disc has to spin to the right place to find the data (In this case, your song) Think of it as a solid metal super high capacity CD that gets read by a magnet instead of a laser. HDD stands for HARD DISC DRIVE.

A SSD is a chip with non moving parts, they can be in most MP3 players/iPods/iPhones/iPads/and some high end Macs and PCs. It's more expensive, but lasts way longer and is way faster at accessing data.
Think of it as the memory chip for your digital camera, that is a small SSD.
SSD stand for SOLID STATE DRIVE.
Close but let me clarify.

HHD = Hard Disk Drive
Is an enclosure (think rectangular like a deck of cards) Containing several components. Two or more platters on a spindle (disks) a motor to spin them, mechanical arms like a record turntable has to read the data magnetically recorded on the platters. An electronic controller to make it all work with your computer.

SSD = Solid State Drive
Is an enclosure the same as a HDD. Contains several components. Instead of the motor with disk platters, it has 4 or more memory chips connected to serve as storage like the hard drive only there's no moving parts. It's quiet, it's rugged since dropping it won't cause a "hard disk crash" like the arms contacting the spinning discs. An electronic controller to make it all work with your computer.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #36
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Close but let me clarify.

HHD = Hard Disk Drive
Is an enclosure (think rectangular like a deck of cards) Containing several components. Two or more platters on a spindle (disks) a motor to spin them, mechanical arms like a record turntable has to read the data magnetically recorded on the platters. An electronic controller to make it all work with your computer.

SSD = Solid State Drive
Is an enclosure the same as a HDD. Contains several components. Instead of the motor with disk platters, it has 4 or more memory chips connected to serve as storage like the hard drive only there's no moving parts. It's quiet, it's rugged since dropping it won't cause a "hard disk crash" like the arms contacting the spinning discs. An electronic controller to make it all work with your computer.
Very well said!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #37
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Very well said!
Thanks, life's a team sport
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 AM   #38
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

according to the buyers guide now is not a good time to buy a classic

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Classic

so what do they know that we don't?
alphabetagaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:16 PM   #39
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Thanks, life's a team sport
Yup!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:06 PM   #40
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Apple knows that the only people who buy the classic do it for the huge amount of space, and they know this group is willing to pay for it.

I doubt Apple would release a 128GB model unless its side by side a 256GB, and I doubt demand is high enough for it for Apple to justify having 2 different storage options.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:24 PM   #41
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Right now, the Classic is one of the few devices left in Apple's lineup that does not feature the new lightning connector, other than the iPad 2 and the 4/4S.

I think Apple is facing 3 possible options:

1) Refresh it with a new lightning connector, maybe some other smaller new features (frankly, I don't care about those, but I don't mind too)

2) End it's lifespan. (I'll dash to the nearest Apple Store to get one right away)

3) Continue selling the current version that supports the 30-pin connector.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping for either 1 or 3
I would like the lightning connector. Both my 5 and mini have it. I have to carry a 30 cable with me alongside the lightning. One less thing to carry is always good.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:19 AM   #42
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post
according to the buyers guide now is not a good time to buy a classic

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Classic

so what do they know that we don't?
Nothing, the last update was 2009 yet it says "updates soon"-ummm yeah. They just go by the average time to update other Apple products. So buy if you want.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod