Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi,

Some applications will quit when no windows are open like Calendar, Address Book, Notes, etc.

Is there no way of keeping these open.

Calendar is an APP that one looks at many times a day, so why quit it when the window is closed?

thanks

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I wonder the exact same thing.
Also, I would appreciate Notes not to quit when I click the red button (just like Messages).

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Try this command in Terminal:

defaults write -g NSDisableAutomaticTermination -bool TRUE

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Apple apparently caved in to make them behave like in Windows, except that you still can use the menu bar until you change focus.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Apple apparently caved in to make them behave like in Windows, except that you still can use the menu bar until you change focus.

That behaviour has been in Mac OS X long before OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, since it is part of how Mac OS X behaves. If an application only has one window and no multiple windows can be opened anyway from it, like Disk Utility or System Preferences, closing that one window does close the application.

If one wants to not close such single-window application, one could press CMD+H to make that window not visible for the tie being or use more Desktops (formerly known as Spaces).

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Why not just send it to the Dock?
and other responses.

Its all about work behaviour and I understand the logic of closing a window on a 1-window app implies quit.

But there are too few 1-window apps for me to change my behaviour of "red-button implies get out the way".

Frankly, I prefer a uniform behaviour here to that of having to know that the app has 1-window (I mean since when on a iMac I need to know silly stats like that).

Anyway, for the comment on the historical presence of this in previous OSX. This may be true, it still does not change the problem in my eyes.

I'll try the terminal command to see how that goes.

Thanks

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Try this command in Terminal:

defaults write -g NSDisableAutomaticTermination -bool TRUE

This works for calendar, notes (so thanks here)

But not for messages, image capture, reminders, addressbook, calculator

Which makes me raise the question; what is the standard behaviour for 1-window apps, and have the programmers code this in a similar manner.

Anyway, it is a nuissance to have a icon (red-close window dot) mean two different things (close window, close app) based on an information that may not be self-evident (1-window app).

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
I see. Well, have you tried using the hide command (cmd + H)? I find it very useful when I want an app to keep running but not taking up screen space. To unhide an app I simply select it from the dock or from the application switcher (cmd + tab).

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I see. Well, have you tried using the hide command (cmd + H)? I find it very useful when I want an app to keep running but not taking up screen space. To unhide an app I simply select it from the dock or from the application switcher (cmd + tab).

Truth is; I'm just too used to the red-dot on the top left. And cmd-H requires I twist my hand on the keyboard.

I do appreciate all these work-around suggestions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.